10h : Hand built logic board issues...

• I have assembled a 4x4 button pad. Because I wanted to have a serious hands on intro into the hardware end of this business, I decided to print my own circuit boards for both the controller and the buttons.

After a few snags I assembled all of the parts of the logic board and the leds on the button pcb. I also programmed the board with a cheap jtag programming board with the available firmware...

Currently I am unable to get the board to be recognized by the MonomeSerial software. The board shows up as UM245 in the System Profiler program. Is it likely a short on the board? or does the monome um245 module have to be programmed aswell?

Also the eagle file posted lacks a groundplate. How do I ground everything properly? Should I just reprint it with a groundplate?

• you mean groundPLANE. for slow signals like this it's not necessary, there are ground traces going around the design instead of a groundplane.

check the FTDI site on how to program the FTDI chip, you need to give it a device ID and stuff.

as for shorts and stuff, that's tough to say without looking over the design files for a bit.

• the ground plane should render when you hit the "ratsnest" button.

the 245R chip needs its eeprom programmed. change the serial number to "m40h1000" or something. monomeserial will detect devices with the prefix "m40h"

• So this got the librarian in me thinking, should there be a block of SNs set aside for home-cooked monome-compatible projects, like the IP ranges set aside for LANs? Or even a registry of numbers?

I know that it's all a largely academic concern, as the likelihood of anyone ever plugging in devices with conflicting SNs is infinitesimally small. And, the pool of potential people to whom this will apply will likely never exceed a smallish handful.

But I'm just big nerd in that way.

• it's true:

0-400: original
    401-416: se
    500-600: kits
    600-1000: future kits? (unlikely to need this much room)

how about above 1000 for home-made?

• btw, you use "mprog" (xp only) to program the chip over usb. no programmer needed.