(not so secret) loopy V2.0

• loopy (adjective): 1) having or characterized by loops 2) crazy, bizarre

screen shot here:
    http://www.bongoware.com/images/loopy2.jpg

download, quick start and screen shot here:
    http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:loopy

full documentation here:
    http://www.bongoware.com/documentation/loopy_help.html

(not so secret) loopy V2.0 is now available. loopy is a Pure Data based sample player for use with a monome combining the large sample bank capabilities of 64 Fingers with simple mlr-like sample cutting and flexible pattern/audio recorders.

Thanks to those few bold enough to venture into the world of pd app's for monome and give earlier versions of loopy a try and then suggesting improvements, I have created a major update that includes:

- A major user interface overhaul that provides a cleaner look more intuitively like the actual layout on the monome.

- A new "sub-loop" capability which allows a portion of a sample to be looped.

- A new "repeat" feature which allows a button press to be automatically repeated on a quantized beat, providing a stutter effect.

loopy is best used with a monome 128 in horizontal orientation, but can be used with a 64 as well. When used with a 128, the left half is used for the sample bank and the right half for sample cutting or "one-shot" triggering. When used with a 64, the top left button is used to toggle between two "pages," one for the sample bank and the other for sample cutting/triggering.

56 individual samples can be loaded into a grid of 7 rows by 8 columns. The top-most row on the monome (row 0) is used for a paging toggle (on a 64) and for 7 pattern recorders. Pattern recorders can record button presses, internal audio or external audio.

loopy can output on multiple channels, and is capable of sync'ing with other applications as either master or slave.

Each row can be set to play in "multiple," "single," or "cue" row mode (defined in the help file included with the app). Settings for each row can also set each sample in the row to play in "momentary," "one-shot trigger" or "loop" sample mode and to control quantization (also defined in the help file). Sample mode and quantization can also be set for each sample individually to override row settings.

A sample bank and associated settings can be saved and recalled at the row level. A global save and load capability stores all samples and settings for all rows.

Note: loopy will work best if your samples are already created/adjusted to be at the same bpm and multiples of some base length. loopy does not adjust playback speed or tempo the way most mlr-like app's do. this feature was intentionally omitted to be sure performance was adequate with a large sample bank.

Once the attached zip file is downloaded and uncompressed, there is a quick start guide and full documentation in an html file in the base directory.

Pure Data extended version required (see http://puredata.info). Also, be sure you have the Mr. Peach osc externals in your pd path - if you need help with this, let me know.

Bongo

download here:
    http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:loopy

• 3 hours without a reply?

Just to put this in context in case anyone forgot:
    http://vimeo.com/14619168

...Loopy is awesome.

• Didn't mean to be discourteous. Bongo e-mailed me the release and I responded there instead. But...

Right on! Thanks for keeping up development and sharing the wealth. Will report back when I have a chance to put it to use.

• pd!! super nice work!

• Loved V1.0. Im sure Ill love V2.0. Great work bongo.

There needs to be more puredata love in the world.
    Sad to see only a handful of available apps.

• loopy is one of my favourite apps - can't wait to try out the new version - love the new name :)

about to delve into the world of pd myself.

• looks awesome! but how would you work this with a 64... seeing as there's only "one side"?

separate pages im guessing?

• Yey! I'm going to try asap.

• Beautiful!!!!!! thank you Bongo!!

• nice to see a few of the original loopy explorers back again...

@panorama - indeed on a 64 loopy uses a "left" and a "right" page, selected with the top left button of a 64. for rows set to allow sample slicing, the left side is used to select samples and the right side is used to slice, subloop or stutter (repeat). for rows set to play multiple samples at once, both the left and right sides can be used to play multiple samples in one-shot or loop mode.

one of the cool features of loopy is the ability to record sample slicing button presses for the right side of a row, and then to play (or record!) selection of different samples from the left side of the same row while the first recorder continues to playback its pattern on the right side. it's also fun, like 64 fingers, to put some samples in trigger (one-shot) mode, while others are used in loop mode.

i love feedback (and new programming challenges), so don't be shy...

• Sweet, I can't wait to try this out when I get home.

sub-looping and repeat sound like alot of fun, thanks Bongo for all your good work.

Cheers,
    Stax.

• I'm on this tonight Bongo. I'm excited for the sub loop.

• Damn... I'm swamped till Sunday but I'll give it a go then. How's the CPU load this time around? Looks fantastic bongo, thanks!

• stax, boxie et al - sub looping is really easy -> just press and hold start position, then press and hold end position until the sub-loop lights up. sub-loop continues until another button is pressed in that row.

lansbury - CPU load hasn't changed much. The CPU meter in the app is not particularly accurate in an absolute sense, but should give a relative idea how hard your machine is working. As would be expected, the more rows you load with samples, the more samples you have playing concurrently and the more recorders you use, the heavier the load. It all works OK for me on a 2 year old laptop (dual core 2.3 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM) running Windows 7.

• is this PC only? not familiar with pd language.

• @grey fox,
    http://puredata.info/downloads

• the simplicity of that answer makes me feel a little slow.

thanks

• No worries. The domain name doesn't match the abbreviation everyone uses, so there's sort of an uncertainty field surrounding it anyway. And really, if you have a question, it's better asked than unasked. =)

• and this is why i love the monome boards.

• @grey fox - pure data is something of an open source sibling to MAX/MSP. it runs on windows, mac and linux. from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_data):

Pure Data (or Pd) is a visual programming language developed by Miller Puckette in the 1990s for the creation of interactive computer music and multimedia works. Though Puckette is the primary author of the software, Pd is an open source project and has a large developer base working on new extensions to the program. It is released under a license similar to the BSD license. It runs on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, iPhoneOS, Android and Windows. There are older ports for FreeBSD and IRIX.

Pd is very similar in scope and design to Puckette's original Max program (developed while he was at IRCAM), and is to some degree interoperable with Max/MSP, the commercial successor to the Max language.

• hmmm.. never used PD before, is there a reason why your using PD over Max/MSP to run the program on?

• cost of max/msp = $495
    cost of pd = $0

• hahaha very good point! a runtime version would be nice though... the PD downloads page doesn't seem to be working for me.. i'll keep trying! this looks super cool

• Just gave this for a test run and I didn't run into any problems. I really like the sub looping.

I'm a little confused on how to operate the "repeat" feature.

• @boxie - you set two repeat values on the left side of the ui, under the quantization and micro fade settings, using values similar to quantize (e.g., 1/4=1 beat, 1/16=1/4 beat). Then hold recorder button 6 or 7 (top 2 right-most) on monome, then hold slice button (right page/side of 64/128) to make that slice of sample repeat.

• Haha! I love that you have titled this (Not so secret)

• Ahhhh ok.

I'll give that a shot tonight. Btw, I like the new GUI a lot.

• just felt like bumping this. loopy is awesome! go ahead and try it.

• + 1 for the max version of loopy with preset management "

• hmm, I tried this out, and I could get samples to play right, I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that it doesn't time-stretch. every sample I loaded played at what sounded like 300 bpm.

• i.morgendoerfer - i did a bunch of work on my max version of loopy, including preset management, earlier this year. then i got wrapped up in a big consulting project on top of my day job. throw in a little summer vacation... and i have not done any further development on this for a couple of months. i have a working prototype, but at least need to do some work cleaning up the ui before i would be comfortable publishing this. as they say in jamaica, "soon come." in the meantime, any suggestions for a name for the max version? i'm thinking "looopy."

willcarter - i have not tried the pd version of this since i got my max prototype working, but i am happy to try to figure out how to make this work for you. you are correct that loopy does no time stretching: samples should play without any speed up/down and without any pitch shifting. i just tried this and it worked fine for me. what happens if you play your samples in a simple player (like quicktime)?

• Actually I think the sample files I tried are screwy somehow, because when I tried some other samples, they worked fine. False alarm.

• glad to hear it's working ok for you now.

• Wow this looks great! I'm definitely looking forward to the max version with preset management, but in the meantime, this may be JUST what I need. thanks a ton for making this!

• misk - i'm about to distribute a MAX version beta to a few people for testing. interested?

• misk :About to send...

• I'm interested as well.