let's talk file types

• Can't help but wonder what everyones preference is. Once discovering (hearing) what the difference was sound quality wise, all of the incoming music began being imported as m4a AKA apple-lossless. Helluva lot of space to store the files but not having to miss out on sounds here and there makes it totally worth it. Especially when there is potential for sampling said files. Should inspiration strike in the desire to snatch out a small portion of a larger whole...even the smaller portion should sound as great as it can so that the completed, sample-infused track to be also sounds on point. (Does this seem accurate or are my wheels being spun needlessly here?)

A peculiar thing happened and bandcamp seemingly discontinued support of the m4a file type (lemme know if this is incorrect)

FLAC doesn't make a ton of sense personally, as itunes does not support it. Other media players such as songbird will support FLAC but won't let you burn files on to discs..

If knowing what you know now, you could start fresh a music collection how would you go about doing so?

*Random sidenote*

The only files in my music (song) library that did not come into my hard drive(s) via a record company produced compact disc are the ones that were never on CDs in the first place. (sts9 live recordings available for purchase or other artists giving away [usually with the option to purchase] their music for free. Never started torrenting or the like.

• ha! Burn files to disc! O, those were the days. I myself jumped on the mp3 bandwagon far too long ago to let sound quality keep me up at night. Space is cheap, but not so cheap that i would be interested in converting 600gigs of mp3s into lossless. 320kbs is fine, imo. But then im not a coinosaur ;]

now, for recording original work, i would recommend wav over aif, as there are issues with crashing during writing aif (the file doesnt get properly closed, so wont play even thought the data is there), whereas wav plays fine after a crash. Live doesnt crash quite so much these days, but...

• I need to digitize and lose all my audio CDs. They're taking up so much space for so little reason! My plan is to go Apple Lossless, but mostly as a "just in case I develop standards, or meet someone who has them" precaution. The truth is, I (like most people) very rarely listen to music without the steady hum of a computer fan filling the room, or a car engine adding its own frequencies to the mix. Under typical listening conditions, I don't think I could tell the difference between a lossless recording and an incredibly crappy one...

• I'm an avid supporter of V0 for encoding my Mp3's

Variable bit rate fo life yo

• yeah, about six years ago i labouriously through away all my jewel cases and stuck all my cds in a huge booklet case. Where they have sat since, through a half dozen moves. All that data, just sitting there degrading...

• +1 V0 mp3

The quality of the medium has never impeded the music to my ears. Hell, wax cylinder even gets the point across (I speak from experience here, actually! I'm so cool...).

Of course I prefer uncompressed/lossless, but mp3 is unmatched when it comes to the number of devices able to decode it.

Ogg Vorbis would be better than mp3 as a lossy format, but I'm not sitting there complaining when I listen to my music.

My recorded music, however, usually ends up as 16/44.1 aiff but the recorded material is done at 24/88.2 (where possible)

• FLAC for everything. Even my Sansa portables have plenty of space thanks to SD cards, so it's lossless everywhere I go. Anything that's not FLAC is stored as Ogg Vorbis. Everything I use supports 'em. I prefer open media types, especially those that sound better to my ears than proprietary codecs.

• the difference between 320 mp3s and flac/wav has never been noticeable to me. i buy records/cds mostly so anything i get online i don't really care once it's 320...i usually rip the cds to 320 as well...

• Storing the audio in a lossless format is a good way of preserving it so it can be transcoded to something else at some point in the future. Ogg Vorbis is my go-to lossy codec for low-capacity portables, since right now I can still tell the difference between it and FLAC when played back on the same hardware.

That being said, I have progressive hearing loss and tinnitus, so at some point this will all be moot for me, once I can't tell the difference between bitrates. I might reach the point where I can't enjoy music at all, so The Codec Wars will all be moot.

Just go with whatever's easiest and lets you spend your time listening, not fretting. Enjoy your hearing while it lasts!