mk firmware / serialosc

• Sorry for jumping in on the thread but I have some time off from work. I figured, with the semi relevant discussion, I could jump in.

@Tehn, you recall I had that grid black out/blanking issue that f_unkymunky mentioned above. I saw since you posted a revision of the firmware, I would give it a shot.

My issues were documented here:
    http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=13053

So I flashed the new firmware and made this video ( I apologize for the boring commentary, I made it late last night haha):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTcY1j9cuw&feature=youtu.be

I took my mk out of the enclosure to prove there are no contact shorts from the enclosure. As I said in the video, I got a new multimeter, so I'll test hardware if necessary to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

• @ tehn

Unfortunately this does not improve the firmware on my monome. I used the default code but my keypads are the old type. I assume the only difference is the rotation of each 8x8 pad and that it wouldn't effect performance.

• Bump for tehn

• ok, thanks for the feedback.

@woofy: your avrdude install is old. get a newer version (ie, install crosspack)

• @ tehn

During the week I took all the button pad assemblies apart and cleaned all the pads/contacts. I did this to rule out a button pad issue and I am now sure that the buttons are not at fault.

Are you testing this firmware on an mk logic board? Is is possible that there is a design issue with the logic board? Do you still have any of the logic boards at hand, maybe testing my buttons with another logic board would rule out a faulty board. Is it worth my while sending my unit to you for debugging?

• thanks for narrowing it down. i've worked on this several times and each time seem to have helped, but obviously i need to do more empirical testing. i won't be able to get to this until next week.

i doubt there's an issue with the logic board-- though now that i think about it, there *could* be an issue-- i'll check it out and then maybe have you send in your logic board.

i apologize for the trouble. it has taken truly too long to get a fix out, which is my fault.

• hey tehn

do you think you will have any free time in the near future to have another stab at this problem? I have no immediate gigs coming up but would like to get my practice on.

• tehn, after reading this last page of this thread and going back to serialosc 1.0 on my windows (after changing the serial of my mk to m000001 and getting it recognized finally as mk128) I have similar issues with button presses. Using monome_test 1.1 with aforementioned serialosc, I can press buttons but only those in the 'top' row register. monome_test also shows the matrixctrl error mentioned at the top of this page (cell coordinates out of range)and the test patch just flashes randomly on the pc screen. Sometimes leds flash randomly. Finally having serialosc recognize this thing I am wondering why the button presses only register on one row. I have checked all diodes and they are fine. Additionally I have checked all other connections to test for solder bridges and have no problems.

I just restarted the test app with the monome connected and the led section on the right comes up with the top row blank and all others lit up. It acts as if it's getting constant random presses from the rest of the grid. Ideas?

• tehn, after reading this last page of this thread and going back to serialosc 1.0 on my windows (after changing the serial of my mk to m000001 and getting it recognized finally as mk128) I have similar issues with button presses. Using monome_test 1.1 with aforementioned serialosc, I can press buttons but only those in the 'top' row register. monome_test also shows the matrixctrl error mentioned at the top of this page (cell coordinates out of range)and the test patch just flashes randomly on the pc screen. Sometimes leds flash randomly. Finally having serialosc recognize this thing I am wondering why the button presses only register on one row. I have checked all diodes and they are fine. Additionally I have checked all other connections to test for solder bridges and have no problems.

I just restarted the test app with the monome connected and the led section on the right comes up with the top row blank and all others lit up. It acts as if it's getting constant random presses from the rest of the grid. Ideas?

I think I may have asked this before, but since I flashed the mk with an avrispmkii, I didn't need to build any hexes right? or change the makefile to my serial? I just flashed the default 16x8.hex from the github>mk>firmware

• turn off serialosc and see if the attached patch works.

• Okay, so with serialosc disconnected, I can see and select my port and device. All led commands including variable brightness levels work fine. Button presses only register on the top row of each grid. Oh, and I did change the serial to be 8 long.

UPDATE: The longer I leave it plugged in the stranger the behavior. I turned on the sound and noticed that it started randomly getting phantom presses and or creating them and randomly lighting buttons. Still can't register actual presses below the top row.

• @ tehn

Since you are having a clear-out of old parts I figured I better spend some more time on my problem. I might need some of those parts....

I have come across two things that might shed some light on my issue.

I tracked down some of the old boards from the 40h kits. I tested the various keypads with the old boards using both SerialOSC and Monomeserial. It looks like there is an issue with some of my keypads. A select few are responsive and the rest all flicker unless held down quite firmly. I guess that is a small bit of relief. Is there still replacement button pads available?

I then focused on the mk logic board with the newest SerialOSC firmware. I found that the few good pads seem to be better but there was still a lot of errors, unresponsiveness. I then noticed that some of the other pads were flickering in monome_test even though I only had one 8x8 grid connected. I decided to check the components on the mk logic board to see if anything was loose (solder, component etc...) I found one of the capacitors was loose. One leg has broken from the solder. I assume something to do with power? I have attached a photo of the cap. I can't figure out what value it is... it has 4.7 VFK 0W2 written on it, 4.7k cap?? strange....
    The second photos shows were it came from, right beside the other cap. If this is to do with the power it might explain the behavior that I am experiencing. I tried to re solder it but no luck. I will need to order a new cap I think to start. Do you think this could be related to the issue? Can you give me the spec of the cap so I can order a new one?

Chris

1632 x 1224 - 549K
    488 x 364 - 41K
  • looks like 4.7u cap. hopefully you didn't lift any pads. if you did you might be in trouble. those caps are very tricky to solder sometimes.

• The pads are completely fine. The soldering would have been ok but there was not enough length left on the leg that broke to do it.
    I suspect the cap is something around 4.7u but if you look at the mk board it has 4.7k in the mask? This is quite confusing, hopefully tehn can shed some light on this.

• @tehn & @f_unkymunky

I'm very interested in improving my 40h kit keypad performance: there are others who find they need to be assertive with the keys:
    http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=15623&page=2#Item_17
    http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=15623&page=1#Item_9

If there's a more responsive keypad (i.e. makes a reliable contact with a gentler push, and doesn't stick down), I'd like to get my hands on one.

Otherwise, I'm considering modifying the contact ring in the keys to reduce the amount of travel and maybe bevelling out the underside of the key apertures in the faceplate to increase clearance. I think replacing the contact rings with items that are 0.5 mm deeper and have a lower resistivity would make a positive difference, but that's a hunch, rather than based on evidence.

• we don't have matching 40h keypads-- just a weird bag of throw-offs. i have no idea if they're good.

the mk issue likely has some firmware solutions-- the device i tested with may have had lower resistance on the pills-- which would mean the debounce counters wouldn't work as well with variation in other keypads. this is on my list.

• @tehn
    Weird bag of throw-offs sounds intriguing, if only for a bit of experimentation and testing.

• @tehn i've flashed the latest firmware version https://github.com/tehn/mk/tree/master/firmware/default to my mk 8x8 but I still get several unresponsive buttons and/or having to hard press them to get response. with old firmware, and monomeserial, i have no problems. any suggestions? tnx