Timeouts are too short for discussions

• Although I've gotten used to copying my responses to the clipboard before posting, the reply window times-out too soon. I sometimes can write detailed posts/replies which take over an hour since I'm jumping back and forth between apps and other work. I don't have this problem on other boards and I wish I could say the same here. I like the minimalist approach here, but not at the expense of basic functionality.

I forgot this the other day and lost over an hour worth of typing.

• weird, thats never happened to me........

• i've never had a timeout here-- what's the message you get? what browser/os?

i'll check the forum settings.

• no timeouts for me and i leave the forum on whenever im online

• I've not had any timeouts either. I have accidently changed pages while typing something only to go back and everything is gone.

• > I've not had any timeouts either. I have accidently changed pages while typing
    > something only to go back and everything is gone.

yup, me too.

• I think I've seen what decrepitude is describing. I'll login, open a bunch of tabs to messages, then get sidetracked. When I come back and refresh the tabs, I'll be logged out.

• On my end it only takes about 30 minutes. It's even happened to me without switching between apps. I'll type out a big long response for about 35 minutes and hit 'add your comments' and then I get a message to the effect, "You must be logged in to do that." Well duh - I only see the 'enter your comments' window if I am logged in! Argh.

• I've had timeouts.I can't remember the exact dialogue but it's something like go back and try again.I habitually copy and past every post since back in my dialup days with a really buggy powermac G4 that didn't like the internet.
    I think my comments are preserved when I follow the go back and try again link tho..

• have you clicked the "keep me logged in" checkbox? i didn't know there was an auto-logout, but i actually just experienced it on another computer when i didn't click the checkbox. there aren't any prefs for me to change the time limit unless i go hack the php code.

• @ tehn

Thanks. Hmmm, I'll double check that. I'll report back here when I've found out more.