OSAMA IS DEAD!!!

• i figured i had to say it...USA USA USA!

God BLess our Troops and our Country!!!

• I'd be curious about what people on this forum who are not US citizens think of this whole thing.

• (I am a US citizen) it is a 'good' thing. It is odd to celebrate though. That said, he was responsible for plenty of killing himself.

• no comment.

• very theatrical! oh, wait... this is real life.

• simply a thing. alive or dead. it means one thing and then another. we are alive one moment, dead another. enjoy what you have now.

not sure that celebrating the death of anyone is all that appropriate on monome.org.

• this u s citizen doesn't give a rat's ass. in fact, i didn't even know until i read this post. i've tried very hard to bury my head in the sand by not watching or reading any news of any kind. thanks a lot for ruining my day! i mean, really. don't you all understand? i'm the only one that matters.

• http://i.imgur.com/KDssc.jpg

I'll just leave this here for the lulz

• Woohoo, we murdered someone. Let's celebrate for being so civilized. So the 'forever' war is now over?

Funny to hear the leader of the free world leader talking about killing before capturing, though I suppose a trial might have opened a whole can of worms eh? Obama quote 'I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al-Qaida"

And now he's dead, which new 'enemy' are we gonna invent?

• America! Fuck yeah!

• England has a state wedding and The US-of fuck-yeah has a state assassination... We're getting value for money this bank holiday.

What reprisals to expect? Or will it be like in Return of the Jedi and everyone immediately becomes good again and we can all has a party and even the Ewoks seem okay (for a while).

• +1 for Ewok dancing. Other than that, life goes on for most of us.

• im by far a US citizen, to me its like this...

His 'death' does not and will not stop terrorism, nor does it justify the death of thousands of innocent people on september 11, (which the more i seem to look into the less likely it is of them ever linking it to osama) as bill clinton quoted.
    How does America invading multiple countries, losing their own lives, lives of australia, new zealand, british and whoever else troops who fought for a losing cause, and in the process killing thousands of civilians justify killing a man who might have been dead since 2001 anyways??
    im no conspiracy buff but it really makes me feel angry when i hear people rejoicing over this, plus the retaliation wont be too good. we can only hope there isnt one.
    To me his death is irrelevant to terrorism or whatever its probably just won obama an election
    glad i got that off my chest :)

• an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?

• "Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult," a US official said, adding: "So the US decided to bury him at sea."

So asking his family first was not an option? They do have a few quid in the bank I believe. This an open invitation for the conspiracy theorists. Was it really him? It's like a bad episode of Dallas, it was all a dream!

• killing one bad guy does nothing to change decades of fucked up foreign policy that put him in power in the first place IMO.

his death is a bloody badge on obama's re-election campaign wall. nothing more.

• celebrating death is celebrating life. celebrating a specific death is something else altogether.

• all seems a bit shady to me (as always with the US too)
    where's his body?, oh we buried it at sea already so you'll never see if we really did or not, just believe us!
    fuck offf!

• ha, well, Raja the 'resident alien' just so happens to be an american citizen by birth, so my opinion may be just as ignorant as the next american, but the way i see it, we've simply gone in a circle. we invite terrorism into the world by intruding on other countries' freedoms(albeit, sometimes those freedoms include the freedom to be religiously fanatical), blame everyone else but ourselves when that 'intrusion' comes back to haunt us in the form of terrorist attacks, and then start all over again by having to kill the threat usually by intruding on other countries' freedoms all over again.
    Personally, I'm just happy the george white-trash bush era is over. That frivolous wanker was just as cowardly as his father. His father helped put saddam in power(via rumsfeld), and people called that man a 'wimp' for backing out on the responsibility. His son then feels the shame, uses 9/11 as an excuse to do what people wanted his father to do, wasting tax-payer money and sidetracking an entire country of mainly inbred hicks into an extra war that had nothing to do with 9/11. In other words, he knew the average American would be as stupid and immoral as him and easily took advantage of that stupidity. Finally, now, Obama finishes the job by dealing with the actual cause of 9/11. Do I care that Osama is dead? Fuck no. But I do care that we finally finished the job we set out to when we wasted so much taxpayer money in the first place. And I do also care that the bush family ends up looking like a bunch of white-trash hillbillies who ran around for 12 years shooting themselves in the foot.

Now that Osama's dead, I think we should focus on bringing barbara bush to capital justice for being the worst mother in human history. :p :D >:)
    (and yes, notice I capitalize Obama, and even Osama, but never bush. that's cuz in some strange way, i have respect and love for Obama, i have fearful and resentful respect for Osama, but absolutely no kind of respect for bush. i know who the real 'terrorists' are.)

• baba booey howard stern baba booey!

• yeah, i doubt that this will bring the peaceful and reflective end to things that we might have hoped. Killing begets more of it, especially when its handled so poorly as to allow for martyrdom. It would have been better to see him waste away out of the public eye, like nixon. But ahh, well. What can you do. I did find the hooting and hollering and celebrating to be rather uncouth, but that seems to be some peoples way.

edit: a nice little article that seems to suggest that indifference is the response of a lot of the arab world. Which would be the best we could hope i believe...

http://www.arabist.net/blog/2011/5/2/on-bin-ladens-death-and-the-arabs.html

• +1 grooveshysta
    +1 rory

• > not sure that celebrating the death of anyone is all that appropriate on monome.org.

this.

and also this:
    http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/575551/bin_laden's_dead,_but_our_long_national_nightmare_is_not_over/

edit: looks like you'll have to copy/paste, as the single quote seems to destroy the doku parser

• RIP, Luke Skywalker (jk)
    RIP, Emmanuel Goldstein (not jk)

I'm not sad he's gone as he was a confessed mass-murderer, but this was basically Dr. Frankenstein killing his monster. It was depressing to watch college kids (who would have been ages 6-10 on 9-11) party in Lafayette Square much like some groups danced in the streets on September 12, but ostentatious displays of ignorance usually are.

Osama thoroughly and effectively trolled the US; his death nearly 10 years after the fact is at best a small consolation.

It took CNN approximately 3 minutes to start shifting focus to Al-Awlaki (sic), the next villain/excuse.

(american)

• http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/willheaven/100085835/why-that-photo-of-a-dead-osama-bin-laden-is-almost-certainly-a-photoshopped-fake/

From a British perspective, all very suspect. You tube interview (subsequently) pulled showed Benazir Bhutto telling journalist David Frost that he murdered way back in 2001. The guy had acute kidney failure ........so survived for 10+ years.....give me a break. So, back to all things Monome. Oh and the Royal Wedding (pukes a little) ;-)

• oh, one more thing about posting this here: i like that you can post almost anything here and people feel free to speak their mind. i think to say something doesn't belong, only gives it more significance relative to belonging.

re: everything... this too shall pass.

• "I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."
    Martin Luther King Jr.

• +1 sauce

• Something funny I read on another forum:

"Osama Bin Laden is dead? Yup ..
    Where's the body ?
    We threw it in the Sea ...

TSR members where's your homework ?
    My dog ate it ... !!

Edit: do you think it's true that they killed him ?"

Which made me laugh when I read it, because it makes you think of Saddam Hussein, I mean there was video of him being hung.

And while you see in the news soldiers taking pictures with dead civilian bodies, and you mean to tell me nobody took a picture of Osama Bin Laden, and that they just put his body in the sea?

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but come onnnnn.

• I'm sure, for the evidence presented, that the guy is in fact dead. And nobody seems to doubt that. Its a question as to how.

Its really easy to make any number of logical fallacies to argue that because of [this other small fact that seems similar (but really isn't)], therefore this is a total conspiracy.

Conspiracy isn't everywhere. Show me any modern conspiracy and I'll show you the wikipedia page on Logical Fallacy (because I'm too lazy to argue age old points of logic myself, after all...)

Btw that wiki page is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

I suggest people run logic on any argument through there first. It really would make the world a smoother (although much less interesting, admittedly) place.

• It's a touchy subject with two sides to every facet. I would have preferred captured but I'm happy this chapter is closed, personally. I don't celebrate death of any kind but I am not mourning it either. In fact it instills a little more fear in me at the moment. But I understand that for a lot of people here in the US this is closure for them and I'm not about to fault them for that.

I definitely honor the troops. I feel over the course of the past 10 years many of them died for the wrong reasons and yet I think many of them died for something they believed in. For some it's a pyrrhic victory but for others it's not.

For me it's of course a pyrrhic victory. We were a changed country the moment G.W. coined the phrase "War On Terror" and "Axis of Evil". A war on terror? What's that? I'm all good with the added security but I despise the racial ignorance and divisive media these days. (Birthers anyone?) In the words of Goldie Taylor "Never in our 235 year history have we ever asked a president to prove that he was born on this american soil". That is sad. I will say I enjoyed the presidents comedy at the correspondents dinner. That did give me a sort of special satisfaction.

I hope for the best. I always stay on my toes, but hope for the best. All is not lost in this country. Life is an adventure. There will always be injustice, or ignorance or plain old deception. It's natural. But we are still mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers with memories that define us. That gives me hope. Plus, I believe the younger generations are still smarter then the former.

Cheers.

• This guy says it better than I can...

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/05/02-2

"If only we had the courage to be vulnerable..."

• "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

• http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/out-of-osamas-death-a-fake-quotation-is-born/238220/

• just one note:
    yesterday's headline: "The world is a safer place today"
    today's hedaline: "World on alert after U.S. kills bin Laden"

• […]

A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our present policies. On the one hand, we are called to play the Good Samaritan on life's roadside, but that will be only an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho Road must be changed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed as they make their journey on life's highway. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth with righteous indignation. It will look across the seas and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa, and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries, and say, "This is not just." It will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America and say, "This is not just." The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. A true revolution of values will lay hands on the world order and say of war, "This way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of peoples normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.

[…]

taken from

Martin Luther King,
    "Why I Am Opposed to the War in Vietnam"
    April 30, 1967, Riverside Church, New York

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/pacificaviet/riversidetranscript.html

• Osama is dead.

Terrorism is dead.

(ROFL!).

• do you really believe Osama Bin Laden was a real person?

I don't.

• Im with scrubberfox "hes dead we burried him at sea believe us" I personally think hes been dead and gone for a long time.

As I type this there are currently goverment assests orbiting above me that can most likely take my pulse as I sit in my cubicle. and there going to tell us that it took ten years to find a guy not in the wilderness off the grid but in a mansion.

Ok goverment would you like some more of my music budget yet

• here in europe

we do not like killing without due process

in democracies these killings must not be tolerated,

like the U.S. But I do not like killing summary

is far from democracies

• @goldengod01, it is important not to get too caught up in the mystique of remote sensing, and ascribe too much of the big brother to the mililary establishment. They're humans, using fiddly technology. Your pulse is safe for the moment, at least from space. The greater fear are the distributed local sensor network.

• @ lokey - haha youve put me at ease! how did your new controller hold up last night? I think i read you were trying it out in a live setting

• well, coming out of a phd in landscape ecology (where people are _so_ keen to assume that all you need to do is plug spectral remote sensed satellite imagery into models, and you'll know all you need to plan and act), i think its important to make sure that we respect the limitations of our vast perceptions.

Incidently, anyone read gibson's 'Pattern Recognition', a great book with some very valuable points, including the term 'Apophenia', which for you stats folks out there would be what we call a 'type I error': seeing a pattern which is in fact just the product of noise or random happenstance. Important to remember to account for coincidence, given how many actors and factors are at play in every circumstance.

And yeah, the gig was fun last night, the controller worked without a problem (although i still need to do some tuning on the actual effect parameter front, some of the fx were too loud on trigger). Very weird though, i was playing at a fundraiser for the new National Music Center in calgary, on the eve of our shitty election of stupid foolishness, playing to a crowd of wealthy conservative businessfolk or masons or whathaveyou. Playing glitchy ambient sounds, i think i managed to show them how the other half live, so to speak....

• you can now quantify your opinion on a monome-like interface!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/03/us/20110503-osama-response.html?hp

• I love this community

• Amazing.

• So, who is going to hack that feed for actual live monome display?