Idea for monome / m4l LFO app

• Hey, I was thinking it would be nice to have an app that does this:

One row on the monome with a light bouncing back and fourth to show the approximate rate of an LFO. The rate of the LFO could be changed by some button press on the row, depending on some preset constraints as to the max/min rate of the LFO. And perhaps the amplitude of the LFO could be changeable by pressing some control button and then a button on the row. Thats the basic idea I'd be looking for... and of course I use the term row/column interchangeably.

I currently lack the skills to do this, but I think it would be useful for at least me. Think of it... the ability to control the rate and amplitude of several LFOs at the press of a few buttons (and not having to hack through lots of CC mapping... plus visual feedback would be nice)

Would it be best to make a quick app that controls parameters on several of the m4l LFO patches, or make a new patch that is monome specific that is a hack on the LFO patch code?

Thoughts...?

• i wonder if boiing could be hacked to do something like this?

• I think this app might do the trick. I'm not completely sure if it's what you're looking for but it's a pretty complex LFO app made by Areo Sono a ways back called Modo.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=5590

Funny, I didn't see it on the app list. It's not M4L though.

There is Monoparastepper but that may I've never used it so still unsure if it's what you're looking for.

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:monoparasteppa

• i feel like boiing could work for this with some app hack action. I have also made something that was originally in Pure data that i am getting onto M4l i have a version that works but it is made for an ipad (there are also midi ports build in to control it but i have never used them)

what i have now is 10 sliders on one page that ultimately can control 20 CC's.

do you happen to have an ipad?

if this sounds like something you would be interested in let me know and i will try to get a video of the M4l version up with some actual midi mappings to hear as well as see the results.

good luck friend

edit: i already have a video of the old version if you would want to see that

here is the video http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=10824&page=1#Item_1

and the original thread.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=10824&page=1#Item_1
    i need to do that video again anyway because it doesn't explain things very well

EDIT2: i used this with a korg nanokontrol before the ipad i forgot about that so that may work for you as well! i just need to find the kontrol template

• i could never get monoparastepper to work for me, though i always thought it would be awesome. Give me a couple weeks to clear my plate, and ill look into it again...

• I like that idea. I'm envisioning something where each row (or column, whichever seems to work/look better) represents an lfo, with a boiingg-esque oscillating light which represents the frequency and amplitude of said lfo¬ówhere the amplitude is represented by the distance that the light travels from the center of the row, and the frequency is obviously represented by how fast the light oscillates.

Not sure about how to control the lfo, but I was thinking speed could be controlled by simple button presses (quantized to the set tempo). I don't know how amplitude could be controlled...

oh, and also you could have different waveforms, which you'd be able to see in the oscillating light.

• @willcarter... yes! thats exactly what I was thinking. Something simple like that. I guess it could just control a CC message, might be easier to start... maybe I'll ask phortran if he can add such a thing to pages :)

It doesn't need to be too fancy, just something to control a few LFOs with visual feedback. Right now I'm use a fader bank that controls 7 m4l LFO patches...

• 64faders should be able to do this without a huge amount of tinkering. you would either have to make the LFO within max or just have it able to recieve the LFO information and make it show up on the monome.

would you want to be able to select or change the range of the LFO from the monome?
    would you want to be able to speed the lfo up or slow it down from the monome?
    or would it be purely for visual feedback

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=354 is this the LFO you are using?

• I was thinking more like a modification of 64 faders like you're saying, where the app uses midi cc's and you can speed up and slow down the lfo and control the amplitude from the monome.

I was thinking maybe the lfo visual could be 2 columns wide, with the left of the 2 columns controlling the speed, and the right controlling the amplitude. That way on a 64, you'd have 4 lfos (which is all I'd ever use, I think), but you could also use the top or bottom row as a page indicator so you could have 8 pages of 4 lfos

oh also, I think this could make good use of led brightness levels to really enhance the look of the oscillating lights.

• i could see something like this: each column controls an oscillator, with a press-hold-press approach used to define the rate, so press bottom, hold and press the top would set the maximum rate, and shorter ranges would have faster rates. Might be hard to do well if you wanted non-quantized rates though...