missing molar

• hi,

i still use molar from time to time. it's still one of a kind and still the best. i've found that the most interesting beats i've made was born within molar. it's just brilliant.

i've got a feeling that lots of new monomers don't know how good molar is and what is possible to with it.... so this post is a call for those of you who are willing to revive our plans to make better documentation for molar. who's in?

• I can maybe help out, although i do think the documentation available fills most if not all gaps?

• @ dean
    agreed. the documentation is superb all thanks to gurulogic.

post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=1238

=)

• yes, it's great. what i feel is needed is actually video guides. hypno talked about this: http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=6775&page=1#Item_33

• ooo recommend a screen capture software and ill help do it!

id be able to do 'practicalities and methods' some shit like that anyway.

• Ah yes, this was just before all of my free time went out the window. The best laid plans...

I'd like to say I'd have time to make vids, but I doubt I will. I'm certainly happy to help with any molar technical issues or clarification of any features. I'm still very much using molar, but now with a 64.

• more molar videos is a plus.

• yay! long live the Molar!

Actually since I've aquired ummm, two Octatracks I've been a lot less on the Molar train but it will always live on in my heart as one of the best things since sliced cheese! Pretty sure Molar will find a place for me again but for now I am kinda distracted ;)

• @dean:

If you're running Snow Leopard on a Mac, Quicktime Player has easy config screen capture capability (under the File menu). And movie and audio record capability, for that matter.

For Windows, I've heard UltraVNC is good, though never used it.

And if you use Firefox as a browser the CaptureFox add-on may do it for you. Again, I've never used it.

edit: meh... It seems CaptureFox is discontinued. Ah well.

• Agreed.
    I just "tasted" the potential of molar. Then been discouraged.

• hi again!

as i started this i perhaps should try doing something myself... he he.. i think i will.

@dean:
    you found any software?

• @plopp - no but i will get on this tomorrow indeed! :D. ill give molar a quick play through as im considering dropping mlrv2 from my set and using molar again.

• video tutorials would be awesome!

i've been through the molar docs, but i still can't wrap my head around two basic things... how to stop loops playing in LTG mode, and loading loops of different lengths (molar always chops my 2/4 bar loops down to 1 bar for some reason)

loading loops of different bpm always seems to be a problem too, since it doesn't just re-pitch the sample the way mlr does.

• @elquinto:

There are two ways to stop loops in LTG rows...

1. Set the behavior in the config file. You can do this in the line:

[6] PAD NUMBER (0-6) for LTG Deactivate (press this pad then pad+1)

The pad number in brackets is the pad you press first, then the "+1" means the next pad to the right. So I have it configured as pad 6 on my 64. Pad 6 is the next to last pad in the row (starting with the first pad in the row as 0). So I can press the next to last pad in a row, then while holding it down, press the last pad. You need to do it kind of quickly or the loop will just jump to pad 6 then keep going. Think of it like a flam...

2. Configure a pad in the row with a shape of "flat zero". Then, pressing that pad will immediately stop the loop. I prefer this method, and configure the last pad in the row to behave this way. Sure, you loose the ability to jump directly to the slice on that pad, but in trade you gain the ability to meta record the stops. Make sense?

Happy molaring!

• method #2 above might the best for me. i'll try it out, thanks for the tip! i haven't had much success with the other way, because u always hear that last slice play before it stops.

for loading different loop lengths: is this the proper method?
    1 bar- warp=0
    2 bar- warp=.50
    4 bar- warp=.25

edit: and is there a way for molar to re-pitch a loop if it's not the same as the host bpm(the way mlr does)?

• I don't have molar up in front of me right now, but you're on the right track regarding warp. It's based on loop length and number of steps (8 or 16). Be aware that press quantization is affected by the warp setting. If I have warp set to play a 1 bar loop on my 64, my press quantization would be 1/8 notes rather than 1/16 notes.

Regarding pitch, you can assign a pitch control to the bottom row functions. Pitch is controlled independently from warp. I believe molar will otherwise play the loop back at the original pitch, regardless of the host bpm.