proposal re: apps and harmony

• There are six discrete scales in traditional western harmony:
    major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished, whole tone and chromatic.

Modes are individual names given to scales starting on each degree of the
    major, melodic minor and harmonic minor scales.
    (Diminished, whole tone and chromatic scales don't really have modes, because they are symmetrical and thus the same from any point within.)

For example, ionian, dorian, phrigian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian and locrian
    are the seven modes of the major scale. Using each of these modes, you can access only the harmonic content found originally within the major scale.

Which brings me to stretta's new awesomeness — PLANE!
    Grid size limitations for sequencing have vanished thank to his vision and work.
    So now, if you need to see the locrian mode displayed on your monome,
    you can change the 'key' down a half step and the 'mode' from ionian to locrian,

or you can just SCROLL DOWN ONE ROW!

You guys see what I'm saying? And this applies to any pitch-producing app:
    By making available six discrete scales instead of only the seven major modes, harmonic capacity multiplies 6 times with one fewer drop down menu option.

• While you're correct that C ionian is the same as D dorian, it is the establishment of a tonal center that makes all the difference.

The ability to decouple the data in the grid from the chord scale is what makes this aspect of plane powerful. You don't have to manually enter the sequence down a step to achieve a different mode, you can simply select a different mode and your sequence is transformed. Volia.

This is particularly powerful when using score following. Chord scales can be changed on the fly with score following to provide harmonic movement. Load up one of the included scores to hear what I mean.

I have been meaning to expand satori to include other scales. It's main power is the ability to transform FROM such and such scale TO such and such another scale mathematically. Mostly, I use it just to transform from a fixed diatonic source TO something else, which could be achieved using a much more simple process, but if you understand the original intent of satori, the limited, symmetrical approach makes sense.

• No doubt about it, score following is frighteningly powerful, and I probably won't get to sleep tonight because of it. Set232 is nearly making me cry. It's like a funky, hands-on Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.

Sometimes, though, I just want to load up a static non-major scale.

• Yeah, I know. It is something I've thought about for a long time, and I've been meaning to overhaul satori in conjunction with a global score following framework I'd like for all my apps so you could orchestrate harmony to multiple apps simultaneously.

• Oh, man. That sounds tremendous.

I'm having so much fun right now. Thank you!

• Most fun I've have had since I sold my fat controller for my first monome.
    You've justified that transaction for me.

• oh, how I loved the fat controller

• mmm. me too

• All plane needs to beat the fat controller is a row for slide toggles.

• ...and then Portamentos http://stretta.blogspot.com/2011/07/portamentos.html was released three days later. Awesome. Damn, I need an arc... and money.

• whatchu talkin bout?! Diminished Mixolydian is the best scale EVER! :p