Serialosc issues

• Help!

My serialosc isn't responding. the device "monome 128(m0000135)" shows up in the serialosc menu, however when i press connect, there is no response. it does this in every serialosc application.

i've already tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling it. zeroconf, serialosc 1, but there's probably something i'm missing. was wondering if any of you eve came across this.

i'm using the walnut 128 jan. 2011 edition.
    serialosc 1.0 for windows
    im running on windows 7, 32-bit system.
    ftdi port (com3)
    using max runtime 5.1

any help would be appreciated.

• do you have a firewall running?

• i do not.

ive been having a lot of problems with this laptop in general anyway, so i backed up all my files and restored it to its out-of-box state. i'm going to retry setting up my monome and hope i dont have any problems.

crossing my fingers!

• all right....

i've gotten the ftdi driver (version 2.08.14), bonjour/zeroconf browser installed, downloaded cassiels zeroconf files, but i'm unclear to as of where exactly these files need to go. i've browsed the january 2011 walnut setup over and over. it only alludes to me having to copy the files somewhere but doesnt say where. checked the serialosc page, since apparently directions for windows zeroconf setup are there, but i couldn't find anything concerning where to copy those files.

tried using polygome 101 and these messages popped up in the runtime window:

binding to port 9001
    newobj zeroconf.resolve: No such object
    newobj zeroconf.browser: No such object
    matrix... can't find file MatrixDefaultBkgnd.pct
    pictsli... can't find file SliderDefaultBkgnd.pct
    pictsli... can't find file SliderDefaultKnob.pct
    pictsli... can't find file SliderDefaultBkgnd.pct
    pictsli... can't find file SliderDefaultKnob.pct

• OKAY. sorry for the constant posting. this thing has been giving me a headache all day and i've just been at it from when i woke up until now.

I've been doing research. apparently I needed quicktime to be installed to solve the missing .pct files. that's what Max 5.1 told me at least.

installed quicktime. cool. no error messages.

figured out the zeroconf locations. got those in the right folders. those error messages are gone.

everything looks good EXCEPT when i open up an application (i have tried both polygome 101 and straw 103) the monome shows up as a device, but when i press the connect button, nothing happens. i guess i am back to square one here...

• you're making progress.

have you tried this?

try this: http://www.stg.com/zeroconf_explorer.html

find out the port of your device, push the M near connect (in osc_test) and see if that works.

• hmm. i can't find the port. i have the zeroconf explorer installed. however, it doesn't seem to want to open. could it be a windows 7 issue? the device isn't showing up in bonjour either. What could be causing that? the device is plugged in and i installed the ftdi driver properly...

• are you sure it's running? try reinstalling serialosc.

win7 is confirmed as working.

• i double click on the "my zeroconf neighborhood" desktop icon and nothing happens. so i can't figure out the port of my device to put into the osc_test.

i just checked bonjour, and the monome device doesn't show up.

in device manager, i made sure it was the monome under "Ports (COM & LPT)" by unplugging and replugging, and sure enough, it is.

reinstalled serialosc. i checked my task manager and under "services" it shows serialosc running. Should it be in the processes window as well?

this is all so confusing.

• Thank you tehn for your promt responses, btw.

so im seeing the processes from all users. there are two instances of serialosc running right now along with the serialosc running in the services window. should there be two?

• it seems serialosc is working, and the ftdi driver is working.

i suspect something is up with bonjour. i'm trying to do a bit more research on what could be the problem.

to find your port manually:

C:\Users\{you}\AppData\Local\Monome\serialosc

there will be a file with your serial number. open it up in a text editor, the port will be listed.

• went there. there is nothing in the folder. i'm set up to show all hidden files, but still nothing.

• welp. been staying up late trying to figure this out. no luck. i would really like to get this problem resolved. i dont want an $800 paperweight.

overview again....
    - windows 7, 32-bit
    - Monome 128 walnut jan 2011
    - Zeroconf Neighborhood won't open upon being clicked.
    - Bonjour won't detect the monome.
    - zeroconf files are in their respective externals folder
    - Max detects the monome, but is unable to make a connection.
    - no errors appear in the runtime window.
    - Unable to find anything in c:\users\me\appdata\local\monome\serialosc
    - task manager sees two instances of serialosc running under processes, and one in the services menu.
    - in device manager, the monome is listed as "USB Serial Port (COM3)"

• thanks for your patience. i'm trying to replicate your problem. will post tomorrow.

• thank you tehn. i appreciate all youre doing.

for now though, i guess im going with the old 1101 deal. not pretty, but i can at least play around with mlr.

• Very similar issue, I have been down for a couple months on my 40h. "Detected" but "not connected" is the best way I can describe it. I have not done the depth of testing that has been done on this thread but the results look very similar. I have done several re-installations down to the fdti driver and produce the same issue each time.

I can confirm:
    - 40h:
    - Win 7/ 64 bit
    - zeroconf files are in their respective externals folder
    - Max detects the monome, but is unable to make a connection.
    - no errors appear in the runtime window.
    - in device manager, the monome is listed as "USB Serial Port (COM3)"

@tehn & iamgoldman: thank you both for your time and insight.

• i want to ensure you have the correct max externals:

http://docs.monome.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=app:serialosc:zeroconf_20110226_win32.zip

and also the correct version of serialosc:

http://illest.net/~will/serialosc-1.0.exe

you also must disable your firewall, or set an exception for max. when i first ran max in win7 the firewall threw an alert, i set the exception there.

bonjour print services must be installed.

i know some of that was repetitive, but just double-checking. i really suspect the firewall as the problem.

• Ah! Fixed after installing those files.

Also, noticed the setup tutorial is more organized. Good move. Thank you for all your help! I'm sure the new setup page will help everyone who had the same problem as me.

• this is strange. now it appears to not work anymore. i'm back to the detect but wont connect issue.

firewall is off
    zeroconf externals are where they should be
    correct version of serialosc is installed & running.

http://i.imgur.com/rKenR.png is this how it should look? if so, i'm stumped.

• this looks correct. i'm still going to fault some sort of windows port blocking firewall thing.

since the device appears in the menu, serialosc and zeroconf are working. the connect button sends OSC data to serialosc to focus. that OSC data isn't getting to serialosc, or vice versa, so something is blocking the ports.

• @iamgoldman

Try turning off your wifi/physically removing lan cable, restart and then try to connect. There's a fair chance that's the problem.

• fyi i've never had to do this with my win7 setup, so i can't even begin to debug this.

does anyone have an explanation for this? or an understanding of what win7 is actually doing with its ports?

• +1 for unplugging LAN cable and wireless
    ( what joechip said)

• yeah. internet + monome is a no-go. weird. thanks for the tip though joechip. i can at least enjoy full monome usability!

• @iamgoldman

'internet + monome is a no-go'
    You can do both, but you have to connect to the monome first then go online, and if you want to change apps you need to disconnect the internet, change app and then reconnect (this is the same for WinXP/Win7).

I started a thread about this same issue and this is also sth that was flagged up quite early in beta testing. From what I've seen here on the forum it seems a very common issue for Windows users. Once everyone has serialosc installed correctly with zeroconfig files in the correct location etc this is usually the last stumbling block. Greaterthanzero suggested that it is an ISP problem, however, I have no idea how to resolve this. My DAW is not connected to the internet but I assume most Monome users are.

edit - It should also be noted that Windows users with first-time Serialosc issues posting for help on the forum are probably online while testing and so the very act of having to be online to post queries is likely to be one of the things stopping them connecting to their Monome.

• "edit - It should also be noted that Windows users with first-time Serialosc issues posting for help on the forum are probably online while testing and so the very act of having to be online to post queries is likely to be one of the things stopping them connecting to their Monome."

Catch 22.

• my win7 works with the internet connected. it's a factory install, i did no special configuration.

it even detects monome devices connected via zeroconf on my other mac computers.

has anyone else had this level of functionality?

• FWIW, i've never had any issues on vanilla win7 either.

• win 7 32/64 bit, no issues like this. 2 different machines. i don't run any firewall software though (my router acts as a firewall between me and the evil internet).

i'm guessing the ip serialosc binds to isn't necessarily localhost/127.0.0.1. i also have to go with some sort of firewall, but it could be that serialosc is binding to your actual internet ip, and your isp is blocking all UDP traffic. are you directly connected to your cable modem or do you have a router in between? by having a router, worst case serialosc would be binding to your LAN IP ie. 192.168.1.100, and a router is generally not going to filter traffic unless you tell it to.

• When I built my Hackintosh, dual booting Win7/osx, the first thing I did on both was get the Monome/Serialosc running.

On the fresh osx (10.6.7), Serialosc was fine with LAN connected, whereas with the fresh Win7sp1 install (no firewall) I had to disconnect LAN to get the Monome to connect through Serialosc. This led me to believe that the ISP was not the problem and that it was the Windows version of Serialosc.

Typical of Windows that some users have no problems whatsoever. The localhost/IP address sounds an interesting area to check out. Is there a specific port that Serialosc should/could bind to so as to not conflict with being online? For those that have this connection problem, why it is possible to connect the Monome/Serialosc first and then the Internet but not vice-versa?

edit
    @tehn - Can I just say that the new setup info for Wndows is extremely helpful!

• @tehn

when we were doing the monome shows in santafe we were able to detect all the monome devices on the local network... it was pretty neat, unfortunately you couldn't receive data over the network with the serial osc patch

• My internet connects wirelessly to the modem which acts as its own router also. no router bridging the gap shit here.

when i connect my monome first, and then connect to the internet, the monome stops working. i have a feeling certain ports are being fought for.

• i haven't done extensive cross-network tests. i did remotely modify stretta's device last time he was here (while he was working.) didn't try button data.

if we can narrow down what the network problem might be, that'd be fantastic. a good test that comes to mind is a serialosc-like max patch, to see if it gets similarly blocked for the people with problems.

• @tehn

I think the real problem was the wasy the serial-osc bpatcher worked... I don't think it was getting the polled data from the monome when you tried to focus... I guess you can't have multiple devices on the network focus on the monome though. Perhaps a slave functionality could be written into serial osc... an extra service that can bind to a second computer on a network (for visuals or other neat stuff)

maybe this is a topic for another thread

• is there a solution to this yet?

• I have to ask the same thing. With some users having issues and others not...

I've downloaded the zeroconf neighbor thing, but all it has/installs are two dlls which sem to do nothing on my computer. It didn't install a desktop icon or whatnot. There seems to be no way to tell whether serialosc sees anything when I plug in my arduinome. I know that it works as it picks up on arduinomeserial on my wife's mac, but won't pick up on serialosc on that either (10.5.8)

Is there any other way to see what port or address is being used? My windows pc is ethernet connected to a router and has a local 192.168.1.xxx address. I've disabled the onboard bluetooth but am not sure how to see if other ports are conflicting.

@tehn:
    when you say to click on M and enter the port, would that be a full address of some kind or port number? I can't, for example just input com5 (which is where the arduinome shows up). Is there any other way to find out what port com5 is connecting on?

• hey guys-- this is a bit confusing, identifying which problem we're talking about. can you narrow down specific os's and symptoms?

• Sorry to create a discussion in two threads but I'll just link to the other one here as I posted more in the other thread.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=14284&page=1#Comment_172497

• I'll be specific as I have also posted in another topic with no luck. The image secretl showed in the other thread he linked would be basically identical to mine except for that my arduinome uno is showing up on COM5.

I know the arduinome works since it works with arduinomeserial on mac. It will NOT show up whatsoever on PC, serialosc, serialpyio, arduinomeserial, none of them work.

I've tried to figure out if this is a port thing but can't seem to find any way to identify the actual port number the nome is on. Since serialosc runs as a service I can't get any information from it. Only one process of it is ever running whether a monome is plugged in or not. I am using the libmonome.dll that visinin uploaded back in October I think to fix some problems but I have also tested with the dll that comes with the serialosc install.

Initially I was concerned that the device didn't work, but I've used it with boingg and polygome (monomeserial versions with arduinome serial on the mac). Unfortunately I can only use the mac for testing, not regular use.

I've tried it on two windows 7 computers, one 32 bit and one 64 bit.