the next mac operating system, let's discuss.

• It seems logical that the next phase of innovation for Apple would be to merge the features of OSX and iOS, so that their computer line (iMac , macbook) becomes a series of multi-touch screen devices (much like the iPad and iPhone).

This will take a while... software development needs to account for this change, and it is safe to assume that Apple will not release this development until they feel they are guaranteed market success, which points to a need for software developers to be ready for this. Development for the iPhone and iPad surely serve as a stepping stone in this direction.

Imagine an iMac that can be tilted on it's stand to sit flat on a desk, so that the desktop computer now becomes a table based touch device (imagine an iPad or JazzMutant Lemur like device, but with multiple cores and 16 gigs of ram, ssd, thunderbolt, etc). And of course, you would be able to use the device upright with a traditional mouse and keyboard setup.

Given our recent discussions over haptics and the future of interactive designs, what are your projections? The question is IF and when will Apple release such an operating system? What kind of changes need to be made to the current OSX/iOS that would allow for this development? What other changes in software development need to be made to account for the commercial release of such devices?

• refresh bump.

• With Steve Jobs dead, touchscreen macbooks and iMacs probably are the next move.

Were he still active, I expect the next move would have been to phase out optical media, phase out OSX, put iOS on the desktop line, and make the app store your only way to install software.

• i agree! some kind of computing lens layer that could gather massive amounts of data from the environment would be peaches... i would settle for any sort of high tech piece of clothing.
    in reference to the thread, a merger on the larger devices with 10+ finger touch is preferable... a 27 inch iMacTouch flat on a table in front of me would be undeniable.

ten finger DAW work flow...

• the whole problem with trying to put touchscreens on your desktop computer, and forcing everyone to learn this gestural interface paradigm, can be summed up in three words:

gorilla arms syndrome.

• @ioflow

that problem is solved if they design a screen with an axis that can tilt, allowing the display to lay flat or slightly angled on the desk.

• @LEVELS:

not solved if the physical space and/or configuration of the desk makes that impossible or impractical. which will be often. and now your neck is angled forward and down constantly, which is not a good ergonomic posture.

also, in the interests of cleanliness, i know i wouldn't want to have to keep wiping down my monitor after it gets smudged up constantly from various folks' dirty fingers. i hate having to do that on my 3.8" smartphone screen. 24" or more on a touchscreen monitor? no, thanks.

• @ioflow

amen to the above. the slanted angle might not prove best. and dirty touch screens are bleh.

• It's all about the iBrainputer for me anyway, when are they dropping that shit??

• if this happens i'll be jumping to linux. 10.7 is already pushing my linux buttons.

terminal love needs real keyboards!

• This thought was pretty random, but inspired here:

"SerialOSC was hand-coded using typosaurus.monome and a beta version of itself."

It's like a Chuck Norris joke for the rest of us.

• i think, or hope, that the way forward is towards in integration between a variety of simple devices. Let me keep a pocketable touch display phone reader with me, and have my personal preferences and setup stored there under heavy cryptography. Wireless keyboard for extended writing on demand, plug it into a bigger antenna, plug in a monome and a speaker for an impromptu jam.

Then, when i get home, i can extend the capabilities of that same device, keeping my preferences and settings, pushing processing out to a cpu/gpu stack sitting on my desk, push the display out to a larger monitor, let me plug in a usb hub for peripherals, etc. Make it expandable and seemless. I dont need a brace of different computers that need to be synced together, I need a single computer that adapts to conditions and expands to make use of the resources at hand. Touch is fine because it simplifies things. But simplicity is more important in a mobile setting, flexibility is more important in a lot of circumstances...

• > SerialOSC was hand-coded using typosaurus.monome and a beta version of itself.

i would have started a nuclear war.

• "SerialOSC was hand-coded using typosaurus.monome and a beta version of itself.

@GTZ

epic quote!

@tehn

keyboards and mouses and terminals will not disappear on mac. i'd wager that due to precision, mouse like devices and keyboards will be more effective for a majority of work flow, for now.

what in particular about 10.7 and the idea of a more touch oriented operating system would inspire you to switch to linux?

• linux > *. whatever your GUI needs, we have one for you.

also, i've worked with gentoo's accessibility team over the years, and several of those folks and our regular users are blind and/or deaf. so i can tell you that keyboards, touch-typing, and software capable of working with screen-readers are all absolutely essential. a undifferentiated slick glass surface does not make life easier for those folks, or even regular touch-typists.

can you find the home row if all you have is a smooth tablet surface? would you want to obstruct your precious screen real estate with keyboards? the pull-up keyboard on my smartphone is a real pain, since it obscures so much of the text entry area and the rest of the browser window. not something i'd want to see on the desktop.

for home automation, jukebox, or any other non-extended usage, sure, touchscreens are useful. but not for anything else i do -- text entry, coding, content creation, gaming, etc. i don't see touchscreens as the panacea that some folks do.

apple is well-known for forcing people to adapt to their idea of how you should use your computer, but hopefully even they won't push for an all-glass, completely gestural interface.

• Ioflow, I think one useful approach are gesture based text input interfaces. I haven't had any use of them trapped on a iphone, but there's a couple interestig ones I'm looking to try out once I can switch over to an android platform (I'm picking up a galaxy note shortly). Something like 8pen, flit or messageease make a lot of sense to me on a touchscreen. Fewer, larger buttons, with gestures used to differentiate between letters...

• i'm still not sure what to think about this topic... I mean as much as I'd love a ipad pro with full osx it rises just too much questions.. I'm sure keyboards won't disappear so quickly (ever?), mouses maybe... I just swapped my mouse with a magic trackpad (there's even a max external, yummy) and I love it.. 10.7 FTW. I mean you can still go geeky and open terminal if you need to...

Reminds me of a sheldon cooper quote: "xxx is more user friendly than xxx, I don't like that..." ^^

• I just tried out 10.7 today for the first time... egadz. I feel dirty

• as someone who is thinking about buying a mac, what is wrong with 10.7?

• Nothing is wrong with 10.7, it is geat. Buy a Mac and you will be happy :)

Some are complaining, because 10.7 runs slow on 2-4 year old devices. This isn't the case, if you buy a new or 1-2 years old mac. Also some people don't like the new look (I think many of them just gotten used to the 6 years old, but still great UI).

Except this, 10.7 makes many things better and easier. You never need to worry about saving anymore (in most of the apps), swiping through fullscreen apps is great, the new mail works awesome, iCloud will be hugh (if you have also an iPhone) and "versions" is also great to restore old data.

Also you will love time machine. the simple interface and the speed (:

Oh and please don't start an mac vs windows vs 10.6 vs 10.7 war/discussion. :D

• i want my OS to look like today's Lem doodle on the google front page.

• @GTZ is that an actual quote from something I can read or witness?

• They killed expose... how could they kill expose

• no they didn't, i have that on a 2011 mbp. unless it's some other feature they culled from lion that you are talking about?

i ain't familiar with anything that came before lion btw.

• spent the last weekend sorting out 10.7 on my new machine, and they definitely made some stupid decisions interfacewise imo. The good thing is that for the most part they are all fixable. Scroll direction, doesn't make sense to adopt the ipad direction when you have the remove of a trackpad. Fixed. Invisible scrollbars, so i have less information available? No thanks.

The mission control/expose changes are frustrating (in that they removed the ability to bring up the appswitcher from the touchpad, so its hard to see at a glance what is actually running). I do love the new grouping of program windows though. I ended up installing bettertouchtool http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32953/bettertouchtool and am very much pleased. This level of control should be baked right into the touchpad. Full control of the gestures, macros, app specific commands, a smooth tip-tap mode (switch between tabs in firefox by tap-hold-and-2ndTap). Much improved.

• It is really shitty to have to add an extra layer of software that is always running to have proper control of gestures :(

Call me a sad panda

• @griotspeak,

Sadly, no. It exists without origin. Or rather, it's quoting itself in this thread.

My use of quotation marks might have been misleading. In retrospct, I should have switched to DokuWiki format, and indented or italicized it instead.

• @thealphanerd, i dunno, as long as its a seamless and light software, then its not a problem. Serialosc is a 'extra layer of software' after all ;]

At least its possible to fix their design decisions without too much hassle, as opposed to the ios nightmare...

• @lokey: Thanks for the link, looks very useful! I agree some things are weird first, but to me after one day everything felt almost normal... (touchscreen scrolling included) I'm new to multifinger gestures, have an 3 or 4 year old mbp, so I'm quite excited to drag'n drop etc. etc. etc. without clicking... (works on the old trackpad too, which is quite unexpected, but it's just too small so I bought the magic trackpad)

• keyboards, mouses, and terminals are not going anywhere, even when apple adds more touch capabilities.