Chronome - RGB monome - getting started

• Hello Monome World,

I've recently finished building the Chronome designed by Owen and Jordan from http://flipmu.noisepages.com/
    The build is pretty easy if you are OK with a soldering gun (there are some tight spots, especially with the LEDs). Flashing the arduino, installing custom libmonome & serialosc were only made easy thanks to the detailed instructions, I was stepping into new territory with these terminal programming processes.

So the Chronome is mostly working... using the ChronomeState beta app to test, the green LED's are not working which throws all the other colour combinations out of whack, except pure red and blue. It could be the transistor and if it is, I've tested and replaced the wrong one. Looking back at the schematic, this may be the case.

Most of the Monome apps that I've tested work great, and I've found that I can preselect the LED colour using the Chronome app. This is slightly clunky, doesn't happen on-the-fly as only one app can be connected at a time. I think I've read somewhere on this forum about routing osc thru different apps, however I am still very much learning about osc, monome and how it interacts with maxmsp.

I've also found that the serialosc.maxpat that comes with most monome max apps needed to be replaced with the serialosc.maxpat that came with _monome_test.maxpat app so the other apps would work. Without this, I don't get the 'M' next to the connect toggle that lets me select a port. This may also relate to the zeroconf external object which I am missing, although I think all this does is allow the device to auto connect to the app once plugged in, or run serialosc... not sure...

It would be great to open dialog with others building the Chronome and those thinking of developing max patches, or anyone with tech knowledge to share. Should also mention that Owen Vallis has provided much help via email and is just all round awesome for making this possible and open source, total respects to flipmu.

Cheers

Tim

• Trying to get my head around OSC for Chronome...

I understand that,

/'prefix'/grid/led/set x y s : will turn LED x y on/off

/'prefix'/grid/led/all s : will turn all LED's on/off

/'prefix'/grid/led/color x y R G B (RGB = 0 - 127) Will change the colour of LED x y (after it receives a /set message)

So how can I change the colour of all LED's with one message?

I thought it would be something like /'prefix'/grid/led/all/color 1 127 0 0 (All LED's red), this doesn't work, nor does putting /set message in there, maybe I have it out of order?

I don't quite understand how to create the OSC message, despite reading the OSC documentation for both Monome and Chronome. I'm sure it is something simple that I've missed.

Any clues please! Thanks,

T

• Entirely possible it just doesn't exist yet as a single command. Owen said he's working on a new firmware soon - might be worth emailing him to request that feature.

• > //Entirely possible it just doesn't exist yet as a single command.//

That sounds entirely possible...

I've been looking at the 'Chronome-Serial-Protocol-003' document and assumed that the message IDs are commands in the OSC message. Don't know if this is correct. Message ID 6 is 'rgb_led_all_state' which kinda sounds like 'I want all LEDs on at this colour'

Maybe I'm on the wrong track.

• I had thought about doing a grid/led/color/all message, but I haven't implemented it yet. I'll put it on the todo list.

@tim

The Message IDs are for the serial communication, and are only seen between the chronome and serialOSC. No need to worry about those.

I just added a page to show the OSC protocol currently supported by the chronome. For consistency and ease of understanding, I based it off of the monome OSC protocol page. I'll continue to update it as I add more support.

http://flipmu.noisepages.com/work/chronome/osc-protocol/

Happy new years!

• @owen - Happy new year too! An all colour message would be great, but no hurry I'm still to work out what other messages do like map, row and col, and what a quad and offset do and how they work :)

Thanks for putting up the new page- makes things clear.

I've adapted stretta's blinken_park patch to randomly change colour each time a note/LED occurs. I could post it up, if it's OK with stretta.

• You could post a video of it regardless. =)

• I second the video idea :) would be awesome to see that.

Also, the map function won't be supported until I get back. I have new firmware and libmonome code, but I haven't tested them yet. It includes the map, a new debounce for the key messages, and I'll add the color all message to it as well.

If you guys want to test them tough, let me know and I'll email it to you.

• Video up
    [[http://youtu.be/QA7QTEX7EYk|here]]
    Keep in mind I don't have any green channel yet, so it is only red and and blue colours randomly mixing at the moment. Also the LEDs are a bit over exposed in the video so you kind of miss the varying hues. But it does look good in reality!

I noticed on a previous thread [[http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=9937&page=1#Item_0|here]], there is discussion regarding OSC RGB messages being between 0 - 254, not 0 - 127. The new OSC protocol page you just put out spec's 0 - 127... Which one is it?

Will be good to check out the new firmware soon, I'll be away next week so might check it out once I get back. Looking forward to it tho.

• @Tim

The color messages ended up being 0-127. I opted for greater stability in the protocol over resolution. Awesome Video btw. When you get back we should try and trouble shoot that Green LED issue again. Maybe Skype session while I'm in the electronics lab so we can compare voltages etc.

• Thanks Owen, wasn't sure about the values.
    It might be a few weeks before I get back to the workshop to solve green LED issue, but may need your assistance if I get stuck, thanks! In the meanwhile I've still got plenty to play with and learn.
    I've got the pressure values to control the cutoff and resonance of a synth and could map every other CC to the Chronome for kicks- will make for an awesome controller.

• Hehe this thread brings back memories. Thanks to all the guys involved in the Octinct project, you guys really put something great together. I'd love to build a Chronome but I've spent the last 6 months coding up a rudimentary OS for my current Octinct to work with my music setup. Here's a link with a bit more info on how the OS works if you're interested: http://sqrface.com/?p=101

• Update on the Green LED issue: Solved.

The green and blue pins on one LED had shorted together and were always coming on together. It pays to examine those solder points carefully! A continuity test revealed all.

All looking good now :)

thanks for the link sqrface, that's some mad looking set up.

• a chorus:

solder sucker, solder sucker... I love my solder sucker!

• @ owen... I had thought about doing a grid/led/color/all message, but I haven't implemented it yet. I'll put it on the todo list.

Just wondering how things have been progressing with the all colour message, though I'm sure you've been concentrating more on your thesis.

Individually addressing each LED with a colour change message in maxMSP is not very elegant and I'm not sure how you've achieved this in Nomestate, does it not communicate via the same OSC commands?

Apart from that, handmade the enclosure from Sheoak and still waiting to make a faceplate- need some 6mm aluminum. It's been a great project from start to now.

Tim

• @ Tim

the all color function isn't in there yet, but I'm looking to work on it starting in June. I'm also going to try and get some Max patches built to work with the Chronome as well.

Also, I saw a chord app from Mike Gao for the iPad that I'm looking to try and build fro the Chronome. Should be fun times.

Looking forward to seeing the enclosure.

Owen

• goddamn i would love changing color leds. they would be useful for changing effect selections for groups without looking at the computer screen. green=filter. blue=distortion. red=flange, etc...

• Here's a pic of the my Chronome build so far... sounds so much better in wood and the colours really pop too ;)

Bring on June developments! I've been playing around with some existing monome patches and adapting them for the chronome and my own set up. Interested to see what others come up with.

thanks for keeping us updated, Owen.

Cheers

Tim

2448 x 2543 - 1M
  • Good effort Tim, nice looking case too.

I'm in the middle of designing one in perspex, but has been put back slightly by such trivia as new house/city/job/baby in quick succession! Looking forward to getting into the software side of things at some point too, but I suspect that won't happen as quickly as I'd like...

• Hello earthlings!

I'm new to the arduinome community and am planning my first build. The big question is, my being an inexperienced coder as well, Is there enough software and software support that I will actually be able to begin using my chronome within a half a year? Which apps work? I see that the majority of arduinome's work, but am wondering if ableton/reaktor are possible as well. I hope to be relatively knowledgable of code within a year's time, then I will try'n help out the community with some interesting apps. I see all the benefits of chronome vs. arduinome and feel that pressure sensitivity is the deciding factor. Mostly be using for music production+live+video, so maxmsp/jitter are a must.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To Progress!

• Here is my contribution (find the Livid Framework for Ableton Live):

https://github.com/willrjmarshall/Livid-Framework

Time to code my friends!

;)

@Owen: I'm learning some max to help (a bit more) asap!

Best,
    -m!

• Nice!! I hand in my thesis in two weeks, and then plan on making some Chronome apps this summer. I was looking to make a Chronome version of Mike Gao's iPad chord app.

Also, I'm going to try and put up a Max/MSP, Processing, and C++ demo code. The other thing is I am also going to try and host compiled .hex files for those that don't need a custom serial number, and don't want to mess with building the c files.

@Mudo: I'll hit you up in a few weeks and see if we can co-ordinate some apps.

• Good luck with your thesis...

Maybe some easy listening Chronome/Tenori-On/DSI Tetr4 music will help :) Check it out on my soundcloud page
    http://soundcloud.com/tim-landauer

enjoy!

• hey guys.

future chronome builder here :) already have most of the parts.
    will get to building it next week most likely. but i must ask this.
    how exactly would one go about compiling chronome serial osc
    for windows 7 ? my recently completed arduinome which while
    perfectly working in arduinomeserial is kinda borked in serial
    osc. and since there is no chronomeserial i hope i dont get
    stuck with a chronome i cant use :(

• gonekrazy: where did you get your pcbs?

• I don't think you'll be stuck long-term, but the Windows installation, you'll probably find yourself emailing back and forth with Owen a lot on, as that was apparently a struggle and I don't believe the process is actually documented. (I had a mac handy, so I've been procrastinating on the Windows struggle myself) The good news is he's always been very open and willing to help, when available. The bad news is that he's plenty slammed for another week or so.

• @shimoda. when i had the pcb's made for my arduinome 2 years ago i had actually got 8 4by4 rgb sparkfun based boards made locally here (i'm from India) so for the arduinome i only soldered the leds to the blue connectors. its pretty easy to just desolder them and put in rgb leds. so i'm using the remaining 4 pcb's to build the chronome. my brother is basically designing a single sided pcb for me that will work as a shield + extra components missing from my pcbs. will probably post the design here if anyone is interested in it :) after i build my first chronome i'll be retrofitting the arduinome into a 2nd one so that i have a 128 =D it helps that components are hella cheap here since we are literally next door to china.

@GreaterThanZero:- thanks to visinin i got seralosc working perfectly on my arduinome so i'm pretty optimistic now :D all it took was a modified libmonome that he posted on my other thread. also a buddy of mine is looking into compiling the chronomeserialosc for windows :) it helps that i have mac/windows/linux programmers as buddies lol.

• If you get that compiled and it works, please share. I, too, have a sparkfun arduinome that I could, with some work and 64 rgb leds turn into a chronome. I may even do that when some more pcbs (group buy) are run, if anyone becomes interested.

• I'm interested in more PCBs as well.

(I caused and fixed a lot of problems in my last build, and I feel like a second try would probably work better.)

That said...

Before this sparks a wave of enthusiasm cresting in a group buy, it's worth reminding that we're all pioneers at this stage. There are no chronome apps to speak of yet, so if you're not comfortable developing your own, waiting would be prudent.

• Cool to see some people working on Chronome stuff. I just handed in my thesis today, so I'll probably be jumping into this soon. The first thing I'm going to do is upload precompiled .hex files for the various Arduino Megas (I might try and do the same for the arduinome). This should greatly simplify the changing of the serial number, but the pre-compiled .hex file means you can't chose your own serial number... any suggestions on a good default one? 808, 909, 303?

Also, Will light pointed out a potential code issue in my modifications to Serial OSC. Basically, it might get confused if you plug in two chronomes at once. So I'll also change that soon.

I'm also going to try to make installers for the serial osc... but we'll see how that goes, haha.

Lastly, I'm going to try and build some apps, and release some helper files for C++ and Java. Maybe build some JUCE, processing, and ChucK examples to get apps started.

If you guys want to do another group buy, I can give you all the info for the PCBs from 4PCB. I think you just have to contact them, and then ask for the Chronome boards under owen vallis... but I'll check to be sure if anyone is interested.

• hey. if anyone has finished building a chronome i have a question to ask.
    how many extra rotary encoders does each chronome support ? also, is it possible to make the encoders send midi to a program like traktor ? as in does the chronome serial osc also send the data from the extra analog controls or does that need to be patched in manually ?

• Not sure on the encoder front - that's a question for Owen and Jordan (as is nearly anything you couldn't find in the documentation). They designed it, the rest of us followed directions.

But, no version of SerialOSC generates MIDI without an external patch. Including an implementation in monomeserial was, while popular, deemed to be a mistake. For valid and compelling reasons. (it created a de facto standard for what "midi mode" means in an otherwise open-ended device, while drawing resources whether or not you were using that feature) Meanwhile, the interface to choose one mode or the other would still be an external app, so why not just run one (supporting whatever custom configuration you can imagine)?

• @ goneKrazy

I added traces to the Chronome shield that will support 8 more analog inputs. There is currently no firmware or software to connect this, but I thought it would be good to plan ahead. As far as encoders go... those are a little more tricky, and I think use digital pins. I'm sure we can add anything to the Chronome, and its my hope that people do :) Maybe I can put up a tutorial on Flipmu about how I modified SerialOSC.

As far as MIDI goes, GreaterThanZero is spot on. I actually liked the MIDI implementation in MonomeSerial, but I did always ended up altering the messages in Reaktor anyways.

• Its been a while but I am back... I've just upgraded to OSX10.8.2 and in the process of installing all applications... Looks like I'm having trouble rebuilding the Chronome SerialOSC. I'm getting a build failed error while trying to install Libnome, right after the .waf command in terminal (Step 5. http://flipmu.com/work/chronome/chronome-serialosc/)

I'm thinking it might be a compatibility issue with OSX10.8.2?

I'd appreciate any help on this issue! Thx Tim

Error looks like this...

libmonome timothyl$ ./waf
    Waf: Entering directory `/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build'
    [ 1/31] c: src/proto/40h.c -> build/src/proto/40h.c.2.o
    [ 2/31] c: src/proto/series.c -> build/src/proto/series.c.3.o
    [ 3/31] c: src/proto/mext.c -> build/src/proto/mext.c.4.o
    [ 4/31] c: src/proto/chronome.c -> build/src/proto/chronome.c.5.o
    [ 5/31] c: src/proto/osc.c -> build/src/proto/osc.c.6.o
    [ 6/31] c: src/platform/darwin.c -> build/src/platform/darwin.c.7.o
    [ 7/31] c: src/platform/posix.c -> build/src/platform/posix.c.7.o
    [ 8/31] c: src/rotation.c -> build/src/rotation.c.7.o
    ../src/proto/chronome.c:178: error: unknown field ‘color’ specified in initializer
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    ../src/proto/chronome.c:179: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
    ../src/proto/chronome.c:179: warning: (near initialization for ‘proto_chronome_led_functions’)
    Waf: Leaving directory `/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build'
    Build failed
    -> task in 'protocol_chronome' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4565380240: c chronome.c -> chronome.c.5.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/chronome.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/chronome.c.5.o']

• looks like a merge got botched. sec, i'll fix it.

• alright, git pull and try again now.

• Nice! thanks for fixing those.

• Thanks for the fix guys, all good now. Working with Nomestate demo, getting established with max6, have to find out which bits i'm missing; zero-config at the very least...
    Thank!
    Tim

• I'd appreciate if people could set me straight on a point. A colleague looked at Chronome and cast big doubt over the pressure sensitivity claim. Personally, I'm inclined to take things at face value. So I'd appreciate some input from folks who've built one to comment on the pressure sensitivity.

BTW, the colleague is considering buying a Bhoreal, which has been covered pretty effectively in another thread here.

For my own part, I'm interested in building a Chronome someday, although I'm not hearing 'it works fine in Windows' :)

• @chrisbob12

The pressure works independently for all 64 buttons. It was based off work originally published by Adrian Freed at CNMAT, and subsequently implemented by Mike Gao in his LUMI interface. The main difference with the Chronome is that we didn't need to use the conductive fabric. Turns out that the sparkfun buttons act as variable resistors, which increase conductivity as more pressure is applied. In fact, the pressure was the hardest part to figure out. I had to multiplex 64 analog buttons into 8 A2Ds, while trying to keep the circuit noise low as I'm flipping on and off the RGB LEDs.

Either way, the pressure works. One area that could improve would be the inital "click" in the sparkfun buttons. This makes it hard to start the pressure soft, and usually leads to an initial bump in the pressure before you get the control you want.

• I'm trying to install the Chronome serialosc on a new OSX10.9.2 computer and have run into this error:

libmonome timothyl$ ./waf
    Waf: Entering directory `/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build'
    [ 1/31] c: src/proto/40h.c -> build/src/proto/40h.c.2.o
    [ 2/31] c: src/proto/series.c -> build/src/proto/series.c.3.o
    [ 3/31] c: src/proto/mext.c -> build/src/proto/mext.c.4.o
    [ 4/31] c: src/proto/chronome.c -> build/src/proto/chronome.c.5.o
    [ 5/31] c: src/proto/osc.c -> build/src/proto/osc.c.6.o
    [ 6/31] c: src/platform/darwin.c -> build/src/platform/darwin.c.7.o
    [ 7/31] c: src/platform/posix.c -> build/src/platform/posix.c.7.o
    [ 8/31] c: src/rotation.c -> build/src/rotation.c.7.o
    clang: error: argument unused during compilation: '-compatibility_version 1'
    clang: error: argument unused during compilation: '-current_version 1'
    Waf: Leaving directory `/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build'
    Build failed
    -> task in 'libmonome' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463049040: c posix.c -> posix.c.7.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/platform/posix.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/platform/posix.c.7.o']
    -> task in 'protocol_osc' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463212368: c osc.c -> osc.c.6.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/osc.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/osc.c.6.o']
    {task 4463048912: c darwin.c -> darwin.c.7.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/platform/darwin.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/platform/darwin.c.7.o']
    -> task in 'protocol_series' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463211024: c series.c -> series.c.3.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/series.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/series.c.3.o']
    {task 4463049168: c rotation.c -> rotation.c.7.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/rotation.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/rotation.c.7.o']
    -> task in 'protocol_40h' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463048528: c 40h.c -> 40h.c.2.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/40h.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/40h.c.2.o']
    -> task in 'protocol_chronome' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463212112: c chronome.c -> chronome.c.5.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/chronome.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/chronome.c.5.o']
    -> task in 'protocol_mext' failed (exit status 1):
    {task 4463211536: c mext.c -> mext.c.4.o}
    ['/usr/bin/gcc', '-std=c99', '-Wall', '-Werror', '-mmacosx-version-min=10.5', '-fPIC', '-compatibility_version', '1', '-current_version', '1', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/public', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/build/src/private', '-I/Users/timothyl/Downloads/libmonome/src/private', '../src/proto/mext.c', '-c', '-o', 'src/proto/mext.c.4.o']

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

• chronome serialosc has not been updated for mavericks. contact the authors.

• Thank you tehn :)