new edison song... shitty video! yay!

• http://vimeo.com/38138990

what up duders.....?
    i've been extremely full of slack regarding vidi-documenting some beat sessions...
    anyways....
    new record is done and waiting for release....
    so heres a quick run through a track...
    "bare feet on lego bricks"
    practicing for tomorrow nights show.... here:
    http://www.facebook.com/events/284458384956115/

grainy imovie go!
    hollerize

• hecka sweet beats. i really enjoyed that!

and besides the music, i liked the up close view of the 256; what's laid out where. respect for your mad beatmashing skills, sir. looking forward to the new record!

• Stellar performance! Looks like the TwoFiveSix is treating you well!

• dopedopedope

• Button Face Melter ;-)

• That was ridiculous! Really, you have amazing skills Edison. Really well done performance.

On a side note, don't want to start any rumors or anything, but if you boost the contrast a bit on that video you might have people believing you got a grayscale 256 there.

Awesome.

• holy sting batman, that was AWESOME!!! i think finger ninja is too small a title for you, my friend. you have to walk me through that mad 256 layout when you have some time...

amazing as always! i look forward to the new album

• mmm, i too would love to hear the flow of your layout and division.

• Amazing as usual sir! I too will jump in on the "how do you have that thing set up" bandwagon :)

• YES! Awesome! Your really growing into that 256....And the grainy video adds a nice home feel to it i think. I like stuff like that just as well as HD.

• woah, as always, amazing work my man.

new edison release + new beats on the street over at http://900bats.com if anyone missed it!

• so good!!!!!! ahh! so good.

• an inspiration really!

• you inspire me to rethink approach and organization.

the phases of composition, stepping back, taking it apart, putting it back together, jammin hard. 

keep on rockin.

• yo dudes!
    thanks!
    ill try and breakdown how this is all laid out...
    i apologize for it being long....
    its complicated...
    i literally printed out a bunch of the 256 faceplate pdf's....
    and just drew a bunch of maps on them....
    it was the only way to wrap my head around it all.....
    haha

firstly... @raja..... the dividers are just some masking tape, cut into 1/4ths ....
    its weird, cuz without them i get suuuuper lost... but i never consciously really see them...
    i dunno...
    i first tried rubberbands.... but they always shifted and got in the way....

to start ....
    i split the grid into 4 x 16 rows (across)...
    then sub-divide from there...
    mostly, every 4 x 16 loosely follows the concept outermost 4x4s are regular clips...
    inner 2 4x4s are the same clips glitched and flipped....
    mostly....

so the bottom 4x16 is drums and 4 bass notes...
    i explain the drum layout at the bottom of the thread here:
    http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=3145&page=1#Item_0
    the outermost 4x4s are the drums..... inner 4x4s are the glitched versions...
    the bottom left 1x1 square of buttons is bass....

if you go up the second 4x16 it is the melody "A" section
    and the remix section.....
    far right 4x4 is 4 tracks of melody
    the 4x4 next to it is the same just bugged out and glitched...
    the left 4x8 is the remix section....
    the bottom2x8 of this section,has the drums from below.....plus an extra distorted crunchy drum layer...
    the top 2x8 of this section has a mangled, gated, distorted version of melodies....

up one more 4x16 is the melody "B" section
    and the mlr type of thingy...
    the far right 4x4 is 4 tracks of melody "B"
    next to it is the glitched version (just like "A"... only an alternate melody/arrangement)
    the far left 4x8 is a really basic mlr thing...
    just taking various melody tracks.... running them through delays and shit...
    then using follow actions to step like mlr...
    they do not loop...
    just run through once and stop...
    this allows me to mess around like mlr...
    then as the clips play through, i can chill regroup and set up for the next thing im gonna do...

up to the top most 4x16
    this is all effects....
    the leftmost 4x8 is sent to stutter edit..
    this side only effects the melodies... (bass excluded)
    the rightmost 4x8 is sent to the finger....
    only effecting the drums...
    the topmost right button is stop all clips...
    the button next to that is a delay send (everything but the bass)
    this is an ableton pingpong delay set to re-pitch
    next to that button is the delay freeze (so i can grab a small section of noise and let it ride for as long as i want)
    next to that button is delay time
    it just cycles through the 1,2,4,8 ect... sync'd steps

phew... thats all....
    so, the trick to all of this... is not having the various sections and things step on each other....
    i accomplish this by keeping everything "A" "B" "mlr" and "remix" on the same tracks...
    for instance....
    melody "A" track 1 is on the same ableton track as melody "B" track 1 is on the same ableton track as "mlr" track 1 is on the same ableton track as "remix" track 1
    SO, if i switch from "A" to "mlr" real quick... "mlr" cuts off the clips from "A"....

anyway...
    this mega cluster fuck of clips and buttons.. allows me to have everything laid out in front of me at all times...
    so i can just jump to any section whenever i want....
    or perhaps use section "B"'s glitched clips while playing in section "A"....
    it really feels totally endless...
    on top of that...
    i am running the mighty phortran's pages...
    it just has 1 page for now....
    that is midi triggers...
    this allows me to record 2 bar loops of button presses ...
    pretty freaking fun....

ok..
    hope that made any sense at all...
    holler you dudes!
    sting!

• I have an issue... That tune doesn't sound anything like bare feet on lego bricks... If it did, it it would sound like "Shhhhhowowowowowfuckfuckfuckfuckshitdamnarrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Who fucking left lego on the floor? Damn kids. I think I'm bleeding. Honey, is my foot bleeding? Right in the middle there? I can't see. My eyes are watering"

I know. I stood on lego in my bare feet only yesterday.

Seriously though, awesome performance. Golf clap and nodding over here. Well played, sir.

• great tune and thanks for the detailed infos of how you work, really interesting.

• Loving this!

• Question: Just got back from the middle east and trying to jump back into this monome craziness. Yo-Edison, how are you getting the lights to linger for the who time the clips are playing. I'm just getting into using pages & midi triggers and I'm getting the lights on for my button presses (which is fine for drum sounds) but for melodic content I really need the lights to stay on until the clips are done playing.

Solutions?

Thanks y'all.

• Hot damn this is one of the most useful threads on this forum.

Big ups Ed.

I have a couple questions of my own that I'm crossing my fingers get seen. I know you're on your big tour right now, but let's see if this works..

1. Your timing is always so spot on! Every time I attempt finger drumming in ableton I have to stay oh-so-slightly in front of the beat in a weird and unintuitive way. This is due to the way quantization works in Live, ie; hit the button and then the sample on said button will get played on the next increment of quanization. What this means is that I can't hit right ON the downbeat like you would a regular drum, with the risk of being a millisecond too late, thus another 1/16th too late. And forget about even attempting triplets or swing, right? Is there anything you've done to overcome this? Or have you simply gotten used its idiosyncracies and settled with 1/16th for all your triggering?

2. As you are out on your tour, playing big sets, how exactly to you go about from jumping song to song? Your ableton templates seem pretty dense and fragile and I can't imagine more than one song in a single Live session, however I also don't see how a set would go smoothly if you had to stop to load a new session every time you switched songs. Whats the secret?

I'd love if Edison answered, but I would also be super stoked if anyone else has had personal experience with either one of these questions and what your solutions were. So chime in!

Thanks for taking time to read and hopefully answer this. Keep up all the good shit and I can't wait to see you in Tempe. Boom.

• Yo!!!!
    Firstly @ blanket
    Just saw this man!!! Sorry for slowness...
    Hope your trip was amazing!!!
    I send clock and note information to pages instead of just clock..
    There are still some weird issues... But the lights work great that way..
    I just send all midi data from ableton on iac 1
    and then back from pages, I send all but clock on iac 2....
    Just works...

@gohmn
    What up yo!?
    So, I think the timing thing has definitely come with tons of practice ...
    But also making sure your lag is properly compensated in your ableton midi ins and outs....
    But mostly, it started with mlr... And back then my computer rig was awful...
    So I just was used to the latency and quantize...
    I started all this finger drumming crap on mpcs, so I was used was to no quantize...
    It took time to get into it...
    I always wanted to get back to no quantize land with the monome...
    But I've found that routine vs. Real song structure... Sloppy vs tight.... Layers syncing up nicely.... And simply skill exercises vs fun have all kept me quantized....
    as for changing songs...
    I just stop and switch.. I always meant to get a smooth set going, but it just never happened...
    if you're coming to the show... You'll see the result of having to switch songs for so long, is I've acquired a three beer banter... I just stop and ramble while thug s load ... Generally make an ass out of myself ... And proceed from there....
    Oddly though, I've gotten an awesome response from it...
    Guess I'm a talker... Haha....
    Anyway... You gotta come holler and say yo good sir...
    Sees yous soons hoss!!!!

Sting!!!!!!

• hey edison, i'd like to try helping out with the song switching problems! i feel bad about that!! :) if you get a sec shoot me an email with your pages config (dinchak at gmail), i have a mac i can test with and i'll see if i can figure out what's going on. otherwise i hope the tour is going great and i'm looking forward to the show on the 14th!

edit:

referring to this thread re: song switching issues http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=14843

i just tried this out on the mac with a really basic setup and it seems to be ok when opening/closing songs, they were really small though (2 clips w/ nothing in them). ableton midi settings are:

input: iac 2: track / remote
    output: iac 1: track / sync / remote

everything else off for iac
    i'm on a macbook pro running 10.7.4
    default java settings in java preferences (64 bit and 32 bit checked, 64 bit on top)
    java version 1.6.0_33-b03-424 for both
    ableton 8.3.3
    pages 0.2a39 from https://github.com/dinchak/pages-2/downloads
    one midi triggers page with default settings
    no mmj driver installed (files would be in /Library/Java/Extensions)

the size of the set might be a factor. i could try one of your sets and see if it happens. if pages is crashing on something i should be able to fix it.

• Soooooo Cooooool, that performance & video! Loved it.

• You guys are awesome as usual. Lightning responses.

@edison Sup! Just from seeing you perform its apparent that skill and practice is an obvious factor. One thing I did discover today however is interesting. When using page's cliplauncher or livecontrol or something similar, being well ahead of the beat is absolutely necessary. BUT when using page's miditrigger or just any plain midi for that matter it is SO much easier and natural to play closer to the downbeat. Timing wise it's relatively minute, but its just enough to FEEL a lot better somehow. Hm.

@everyone interested in song switching. An idea I proposed to myself this afternoon is something involving having every set of samples in each song all existing in the same session but staggering them in session view, while assigning each block of samples to different MIDI channels.

@phortran is there something in pages that allows for midi channel program change messages or something? I feel like I'm talking out of my ass but it's something I've seen other Ableton performers utilize to switch songs that exist in the same live set. Would that even need to come from pages? Might there be a midi assignable button in live that would allow for this without anything special coming from pages?

I'm done blabbing. Would love to hear more great feedback. Thanks again dudes.

• @gohmn
    Yea man!
    I hear you....
    Feel is everything!
    Also, might want to experiment, as pages has quantization and ableton too...
    Could be some weird conflicts...
    I only use ableton quantize...
    Whatever works though....
    Its always interesting to see how dudes attack problems...

@phortran
    Dang dude!!! Totally missed your response bro!!!
    I will send you some things....
    Get to the bottom of it...
    I really think it's an ableton thingy...
    as I've had it working several times and not working several....
    With different pages releases...
    I'll chuck you some stuff though...
    Thank you thank you for being so rad btw ....
    Sting!!;;!

• @gohmn

hey man, actually one of the groovy pages does midi channel changing. it has pattern recorder buttons right on the page too. as it is there's a few arc bits that might cause it to crash or act weird, but i'll make a few variations of these without the arc stuff and post them soon. hope to see you at the show!

@edison
    no worries, i hope it is pages so i can fix it! definitely could be ableton though.

• Oh shit!!!!
    Somehow in my phone responses, I missed raja's response!!!!!
    thanks for the insights....
    I'd offer to teach you to dance but I dunno if that would help anything...
    Haha
    Keep making some videos sir!!!
    Wanna see what the raja has up his sleeves yo!

• @edison I loved your explanation for how each section of the monome gets broken down. Quick question though, how exactly is most of the midi mapped? Seems like most of your melodic stuff are clips on the same track so they act as choke groups, canceling eachother out, but are your bottom corners assigned to a single drum rack instance so you can play drums with things triggered simultaneously cuz of the multiple voice capability, or did you tediously break out each individual kit sample to their own tracks for that capability?

• @gohmn

i added a new page that's triggers + midi channel selector + pattern recorders, see pages thread for info!

• @phortran A pages update, for me?? I'm honored! Haha. Kidding, I know others could definitely benefit from that feature as well. Thank you a million times. I just now have to deal with having hundreds of tracks and scenes in one sesh. Yay..

Also, 'tran, I look forward to seeing you at the show. Am I gonna be lookin for some awesomely long haired dude wearing a "Hi, my name is PHORTRAN" sticker?

• @gohmn
    actually, all of it is the same setup as the melodic clips... just on a faster scale...
    just smaller bits of audio clips....
    the audio clips are just midi mapped the same way...
    and monophonic in the same way...
    for me personally, being as everything i make is with chopped breaks, i figure just use flattened audio, then one button can contain a kik and hat at the same time...
    once you stack 2 drum tracks and have a lot of variations going on, its got the same type of effect.....
    kinda...
    haha

• @gohmn

lol, good luck with all of that! looking forward to a new video. lots of hair and beard at the moment, yes:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/419964_3125147322859_434650542_n.jpg

thumbs up bros

• I definitely feel a new vid coming soon.. Watchout!

Alright, I'm finally gonna shut up and put these knowledge bombs to use. You guys have been more than awesome. After all this talk, and printed diagrams, and hard thinking, I'm about to conclude my 12 hours of live performance restructuring. I think its safe to say that I'm well on my way to some successful shit thanks to you hardhitting all-stars. I'm forever in your debt. Thanks again.

Goodnight and farewell!

• i'm soooooo glad i found this thread! there's some bangin' knowledge being shared here and i will be putting much of it to good use. i am however struggling with getting the lights working on my 256. in ableton i have iac driver bus 1 output track/sync/remote set to on and iac driver bus 2 input track/remote set to on. i am able to midi map the buttons with no problems, but no lights turn on. if i open the ableton clip launcher page, the corresponding buttons on the monome light up, but don't flash. i'm running the latest version of serial osc and pages 2.42. thanks in advance for you help!