Linux setup for monome/arduinome - request for info

• Okay, so I have this computer I will be putting in my shop (read: music studio in a shed) with Win 7 64 on it already. I've ordered an duemilanove so that my arduinome 64 and the ard128 I'll be building will hopefully work on win 7 (I can't even get arduinome serial to pick up the uno). I've considered adding a linux dual-boot install to this computer and trying to run an alternate setup, mostly for experiment to see how well I can get it to work for composing/performance, etc.

Any suggestions on the best places to look, what version to install, etc. The last time I even tried linux was the Hardy Heron release, but I just couldn't get drivers to work for the creative audigy platinum 2 soundcard. While I know it's an older card, the breakout box is pretty full of ins/outs and it works so I'd hate to waste it. I have Live installed on that computer on windows, so I'll be happiest to just have that running, but thought I'd ask what others have set up and how long it took to figure things out. Again, this will be for testing and experimentation to begin with, but if I find I like the flow and can get things to work well, It may stay the major boot for that computer.

• You'll find some existing threads if you search on this, a few days ago:

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=14274

I run a minimal install of Debian on my laptop with renoise and some other bits and bobs.

• I can't believe I didn't find this:

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=setup:linux

sometimes I'm ashamed of myself.

• i wrote that! it's centered around ubuntu, but the basics are universal. i don't use ubuntu anymore; i've gone back to using gentoo for about a year now, just like i have for all my desktop systems since 2006.

feel free to ask for help here or on the main monome/linux forum thread if you run into any issues. we're also on irc at #monome on freenode for real time assistance.

• @ioflow

Any particular reason for moving back to gentoo. Ubuntu is the only thing I've even messed with so it might be familiar, but not having much experience might mean not having preference. I did try ubuntu studio since it would seem that would make sense for a musician.

re: irc, is that the irc linkable from the livechat link above left?

• well, ubuntu was okay at first. i liked it because most of the audio apps that i use are already packaged in an installable binary format. with gentoo, they're all built from source, which is also automated, but sometimes i have to write installation scripts myself for applications that aren't in any repository. this means maybe an extra 20 minutes, but i put the end results on my github repository, so that i and others don't have to repeat that labor.

ubuntu ended up having terrible support for my echo audiofire2 firewire card. i had a much easier time with gentoo, where i was able to get newer kernel and firewire driver versions built from the upstream authors' source code, simply because that's what gentoo is designed to pull down. ubuntu tends to add lots of patches unique to their OS, which makes troubleshooting it a bit of a "black box." gentoo only installs unmodified upstream code. i prefer that transparency, plus i've been a gentoo developer for several years, so i'm a bit more familiar with how to go about diagnosing and fixing problems. YMMV; there's an ubuntu developer here on the monome boards with the same audiocard who didn't have every issue i did.

i had better luck when i ran plain old ubuntu, not ubuntu studio, by the way. the studio variety only has a few tweaks for audio production that are easily installed/added to the vanilla ubuntu, and you get the advantage of having working networking out-of-the-box with the regular version. ubuntu studio makes it really, really hard to connect to the interwebs, especially over wifi networks. has to do with services and traffic eating up IRQs and interrupts and possibly slowing down the throughput of realtime audio data.

it's easier to start with ubuntu server, which is really just a barebones, minimal console-based install, and then add on the music-making applications you need, than to start with ubuntu studio or plain ubuntu and strip them down from there.

and yes, the IRC channel is the live chat link above left. you could also use a standalone client for windows such as mIRC, XChat, or some other multi-protocol internet chat client.