tell me im not crazy (where the developers att?)

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGOFBvRgHhw

mike gao is awesome.... great tunes and hand made vsts.. now he is droppin this ipad app.

i have messed with soooomewhat similar monome apps that already exsist buttt! TELL ME IM NOT CRAZY and something very similar could be created for monome? or ported? i dunno.... just with a gui and a beautifully clean monome?

i mean even all the midi porting and acceloremeter stuff seems doable...then again im NOT a developer and stupid x_X !

so am i crazy?

• totally doable. i've often thought about using shapes similiarly. stretta's done loads of great work in this kind of style...

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQm3xbTxJRc&feature=relmfu

• also, balron: http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:balron40h

• The developers are all around you, but here's where you're crazy:
    http://youtu.be/OGOFBvRgHhw?t=1m25s

Also, that aspect where it color-codes everything to provide valuable information to the user.

• @greater than zero i totally knew the individual note bending and color coded was out of the picture (or crazy) but thats where i was thinking just a sexy color coated gui could resolve the color issue... and at least you would visually see on screen, as well as that was kinda the appeal of monome.... no colors just play. blank 64 grid to load up and learn the shapes...too bad for individual : (

OOTINI!!! @TEA KNEE haven't used balron.... but composed this entire song with fourths haha http://soundcloud.com/niceicles/wdvr-2-me

i just want my monome to chords and im finding all sortsa new ways to do that so thanks!

• I think you have it backwards. The appeal of the monome isn't "no colors", but rather "no disconnect between the thing that you're touching and the thing that you're looking at" (with a bit of "usb means no wi-fi latency" and "physical buttons mean you're not staring at a touch screen" thrown in for good measure).

I don't think most of us accept that "one color" is a feature, either. 'cause adding more colors doesn't subtract that option. No one could ever force you to use more than one color, but you are forced to use less than two. That's sort of distressing in an otherwise open platform. I mean, what if you want it all one color, but you want it to be a different color from one day to the next? Well you can't have that, so get over it.

And sure, that defies the minimalist beauty of it all, but as a purely minimalist platform, you shouldn't be asking for tilt support either, 'cause that detracts from the purity of the buttons. But you are, and everyone does, because it's not about minimalism. Not really.

ANYWAY...

If you just need MIDI notes mapped in various ways around the grid, there are apps for that. Fourths and Balron are obvious choices. Cygnet is another. And then when thealphanerd finishes porting Tilty Magee over to SerialOSC, you can run that concurrently.

...bringing you to maybe half the usability of what Mike's built in that iPad app, as you're missing those two critical features.

• oh i love the monome im not dissin the "no colors" i have a multi color grid built and a launchpad thats multi-colored, each with their own appeal to me, again to me monome is so minimal and sleek i dont want it color coded... i just knew it wasn't something i was worried about recreating....

and yeah i use those apps i was asking if people were interested in organizing midinotes and recreating something similar to mike's based on the shapes and scales, different arrangements etc.. as i am not as skilled with it as i wish.

is cygnet for 64? and so pumped for that tilty magee serial osc!!

• Not sure on cygnet. I've only ever seen it used on 256, but stretta's work usually does scale down.

I guess Mike's assortment of layouts probably does surpass what current apps offer, but again, without the color coding, you probably ought to just pick one layout and stick with it. I mean, you're pretty much counting on muscle memory at that point. Which is perfectly valid, and very much in line with the "I'd rather have physical buttons than a touch screen" philosophy, but again, you don't want to memorize a bunch of different layouts without leaving yourself some visual cue as to which one is active at any given moment.

(newer walnut edition monomes do support per-LED variable brightness, which solves a lot of "one color" issues and would probably help here, if you're lucky enough to own one of those)

• These tetris shapes would be a nice way to overlay
    additional functionality on top of existing midi apps...

• i've been planning on making a simple chording app using vj manzo's modal_triad object, i might try and do something with this and these shapes, not until after my exams though...

"The modal_triad object allows a user to play tertian chords of any quality. It receives scale data from the modal_change object and, when a tonic and mode is selected, the object receives the numbers 1-8 in its leftmost inlet to output the notes of the chord function associated with that number. For example, in major keys, the numbers 1, 4 and 5 are always major chords, 2, 3, and 6 are minor, so, if C Major is selected, a 2 sent to the modal_triad object will yield the notes of a d minor chord.

For each selected chord, the notes of that chord are sent to the object’s 7 outlets in the following order: root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, eleventh, and thirteenth. Alterations like flat ninth or sharp eleventh are inferred by the chord function as it relates to the selected tonic and mode.

The second inlet of the object allows the chord tones, received as pitch classes, to be restricted to one octave.

The object also takes Roman numeral functions to yield chords. The standard capital Roman numerals for major, lower case Roman numerals for minor are used. A lower case Roman numeral iv in the key of C Major will yield an F minor chord regardless of the fact that chord has non-diatonic chord tones in it, the Ab.

A capital Roman numeral with a plus sign next to it will yield an augmented chord, and a lowercase Roman numeral with a zero next to it will yield a diminished chord.

In the same manner, a user can use letter names to build chords. A capital C will yield a C Major chord while a lower case e will yield an e minor chord. A capital C plus will yield an augmented chord and a lower case d zero will yield a d diminished chord.

This object also receives messages for tonicizations. A user can send the message Roman numeral V/5, to yield the 5 of 5 (a D Major chord in the key of C Major). The V Chord Tonicizations produce a Dominant 7th chord for each scale degree in the selected mode. That is, the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th will form a Dominant 7th Chord exactly one perfect 5th above a given scale degree. The 9th, 11th, and 13th pitches of the chord are inferred according to the selected mode and NOT the mode from which the tonicizing chord prevails.

Similarly the object allows other types of tonicizations including leading tone tonications and minor four tonicizations. Augmented 6th chords and Neopolitan chords can also be implemented.

The object also has 7 switches that can be set to restrict notes from reaching the outlets."

• damn..... you my friend... need to finish your exams : ) haha but good luck with em and excited for something like that.

i personally would enjoy practicing/learning the layouts and playing them.. sounds fun and time consuming.... i do enjoy the idea of tactile touch the button vs. the touch screen.

thanks for the infosssss

• uh, not promising anything, but it sounds fun and would be pretty easy to put together...

• yeah not holding you to it just excited someone is on about the same page as me!!

• Stretta's "fourths" patch kind of gets at this idea. It's great for improvisation.