TouchOSC dudes...

• Man what a finicky thing to setup!

I've gotten TouchOSC working well while at home, but it always takes me a good few minutes to get it up and running when I'm out and about.

Can one of you guys who use it all the time let me know how you do it while out and about? (I've done it via adhock network but it takes forever to create/configure it, and then to go back to 'normal' afterwards). As in, do you create/configure a network every time? Do you have a hardware profile dedicated to adhocking it?

OR

Have any of you experimented with creating a 'performance' user account? I do so many little things now when I go to perform (turn on caffeine, open max/patch, dim screen, etc..) that I'm wondering if it would be better just to have another user account with these settings enabled (including an adhock network?) and get right to playing.

Lastly, I'm having a weird thing with my TouchOSC now in that I'm getting the red LED showing that I'm getting feedback, but not actually getting any feedback happening. It's only one way communication. This is on wifi and adhock network, and with automatic/manual IP addresses.
    I'm definitely sending the same exact type of message I'm receiving (/sampler/volume 1.0), but I do have multiple pages on my TouchOSC layout.

• Haven't played with it for a while, for largely these reasons.

The best advice I've heard seems to be "jailbreak your iPad so you can run OSC through the USB cable". This apparently cuts latency down to nothing, and makes setup much easier.

I haven't tried it, but I guess this is what people are using:
    http://intelliborn.com/mywi.html

• I'm setting it up to use on an 1st gen iPhone, with no SIM card. So not sure if it's possible to tether it.

Also planning on attaching it to something, so using a cable isn't ideal either.

I'm not doing anything time sensitive, so latency isn't a gigantic issue.

• I think they're using "tether" in a broader sense for this; sharing data as though over wi-fi, through a wired connection to your computer. As opposed to sharing your phone connection.

• I've never been put in a situation where i have to create a adhoc network, but this can definitely be useful if i'm in a place with no wifi, i would love to hear more on it. my assumption would be that it is easier just to have a already created one that you go back to every time.

as for the weird thing with one-way communication, I was having that too. max could control the iPhone but not the other way around. I was unclear whether it was the same way with you. Anyways my issue was with the actual route command in the already made patch I downloaded. it used 2 strange "OSC-route" objects, but I just combined them into one normal "route" object and everything was solved.

• I might try some jailbreaking stuff then.

@moldy, you'd think it'd be that easy where you just have one premade and keep going back to it, but it evaporates every time you leave that adhock network, leaving you to remake/configure it every time.

The weird thing is that the feedback was working before. And when it wasn't working (when I had the settings wrong) I wouldn't get any red LED feedback on touchosc. So the data is making it back to the phone, the phone just isn't caring.

• I figured out the problem. Apparently you can't have multiple pages named the same thing. That breaks the TouchOSC mappings.

• I messed around with TouchOSC and my old phone and got it to work at home where I had a stable, controllable, network. At work, where I get what they give me as far as network goes, I could never get the devices to talk to each other reliably.

The ad hoc network route seemed like too much work, setting it up each time, so I did a little thinking and had wondered about using an old Airport Express to just create a local wi-fi network, not necessarily having internet connectivity, that I could connect to each time... Then my phone died, I got a different model to replace it, and I never tried it out.

Would the local wi-fi plan work you think, guys?

• That's be a big pain to lug around, and setup a router too though.

• The Express is only 4"x4" and if you don't need internet connectivity it's just a matter of plugging it in, waiting for it to boot, and then joining the (pre-made) network it creates. No router needed. I don't think.

• The Express is a router . . .
    And the Ad-Hoc's really not that difficult to set up . . .

& Rodrigo - though not always necessary if just mucking around,
    a dedicated performance user account is recommended for sure.
    Same thing as when recording - disable all the background stuff.

Cheers

• It sounds like I'm not the only one who has a love/hate relationship with TouchOsc. A lot of people don't know this but there's a really great Monome emulation for TouchOsc called Touchmonome (64 iPhone/iPad w/M4L http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=7921) (128 iPad/iPhone http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=10858&page=1)

I've played a few gigs with the iPad version before I bought my 40h and it's a fantastic app. Setting up an adhoc isn't very time consuming and it's the only way the TouchOsc is usable for me. I had a lot of problems with controls only sending OSC part of the time so I had to switch to Hexler's Midi Bridge and reprogram all of my templates. To this day I have never been able to sort out the accelerometer function, with osc or midi, and if someone can walk me through it I'll give you a big internet hug.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been lusting after a TouchOsc/Mlrv2 setup where the top row of the monome (group stops, delay, pattern rec) is transported to the iPad or iPhone leaving the top row of the monome free for audio. Is this possible? It seems like someone with the skills and a full copy of Max (I have neither) could use the TouchMonome template as a starting point.

• @Cropsie,

Anything's possible. I've always been an advocate for moving top-row controls off of the grid (in a good many apps).

TouchOSC is great for that, and for the initial configuration stuff you'd normally do w/ mouse and keyboard.

The feature it's missing, as far as that's concerned, is the ability to load individual pages rather than self-contained templates.

e.g., if you have an MLR setup and top row page, and a polygome setup and top row page, switching pages in TouchOSC could trigger Pages to switch to that app on your monome. Which is great, and you can do that now, but you're rigidly locked into using those specific apps. It's kind of senseless.

• You can use the Lemur app to do something similar. Rather, each page can have it's own IP/configuration.

A friend of mine moved over to the Lemur app so he can use the one setup to control multiple max instances (a Max5 and a Max6).

• Jailbroke my iPad today.

First three tries were all duds, because it turns out Redsn0w isn't compatible with my version (iPad 2), so I'm using Greenpois0n now.

http://greenpois0n.com/

That worked. Should have checked here first, though:
    http://lifehacker.com/5771943/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-jailbreaking-your-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad

Anyway...

this article:
    http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/the-best-iphone-tethering-apps-2012029/

recommends against using MyWi for actual phone tethering, but my iPad doesn't have a phone connection / monthly data plan, so that doesn't bother me.
    It is, however, recommended for touchOSC:
    http://hexler.net/forum/viewthread/117/

and liveControl:
    https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=1170815

Not sure if the other tethering options have the required feature set for this. Maybe.

Installed the three day trial of MyWi 5.5, got touchosc working over it, bought a license.

Settings...

I flipped USB Tethering on in MyWi, and left everything else at default.

In advanced settings, it lists my DHCP Network as 192.128.20.1 (and my wifi DHCP network as 192.128.21.1, but I don't foresee using that). Taking note of that number, my max patch sends its feedback as follows:

[udpsend 192.168.20.1 9000]

And then touchOSC itself is set with host 192.128.20.2 (I guessed correctly that the IP MyWi assigns to my USB-connected computer would be one higher than itself)

ports are also set to default right now. (8000 outgoing from touchosc, 90000 incoming to it)

Those ports and IPs are independent of either device's wifi settings, and should never have to be reset again. Nor do I have to create an ad hoc network aside from simply plugging the USB cable in.

I made a simple max patch that sends a ton of information back and forth between my computer and the iPad. I'm not able to perceive any latency, at least from my visual tests. Haven't tried to manipulate sound yet.

Still, promising...

• DAMN YOU GTZ YOU SON OF A MOTHER ()$&()*&$(*&# )*(&$)&#)&# )*(&$)& )(&$)(*&)#$!!!! (and a few more asterisks and exclamation points). I've been considering this but like to keep things nice and tidy and don't want to fuck up my iPad or possibility of playing games and shit, but now that someone I know has gone and fucked off and actually started jailbreaking their iPad AND done some shit with it, how am I supposed to not do the same like a little maxnome lemming (not to mention I've had two margaritas and just finished watching the 2-episode end of Rose Tyler on Doctor Who!!!)? Huh, what do you have to asay for yourself. Not to mention I just had to open up five new browser tabs to read the shit you linked. And I WAS right in the middle of building a nice little Lemur template for Ableton's analog.

Did I mention some bloke nearby wants $30 for a Casio SK-1 that I could buy and tablebeast mod over the next week or two? DAMN!!!!

• =)

In retrospect, I don't actually know if wifi added any appreciable latency at all. Over the course of testing this, and thinking back on the tests I ran a year ago, I kinda think my non-scientific methods added a non-trivial bottleneck.

Specifically...

I'd been trying to scale this up from a solo performer to a "trio" (three fingers, three instruments, one iPhone):
    https://vimeo.com/14602889
    ...but it just wasn't as musical or responsive. It seemed pretty obvious that there was a data backlog clogging up the works, and there was.

...but it might not have been from driving three XY pads simultaneously so much as from routing the processed numbers between Max For Live instances (using max sends and receives). In fact, that is almost a certainty.

Now, I stand by notion that TouchOSC sends way too much data for a lot of app designs. You're far better off with a Lemur template or a Control one, because you can apply some intelligence in the template itself about how and when to inform the computer of a change.

...but the loss from that inefficiency is probably negligible.
    (probably)

At any rate, it is stupidly easy to configure the connection now.

• re: existing apps,

I have technically voided my warranty, but I can undo that by uninstalling a few things. But for the most part, nothing seems to care about the jailbreak.

I'll buy and install something from the iTunes app store to verify that. Quick, anyone got a suggestion? Pimp your app; I'm buying.

(actually, I've got 82 available updates -- I can just install those and report back)

The one thing I have noticed, and it's a bit odd, is that the Skype app for iPad popped up with a warning that they don't officially support modified devices. But it seems to still work.

Other things I've tried:

* Siri. But, she hasn't been able to connect to her server thus far, and isn't interested in saying anything but that.

* "Full Force" and "RetinaPad", which both modify in different ways how iOS scales up old iPhone apps. You can decide on an app-by-app basis which ones each affects. Of those, "Full Force" has yet to be the right decision, and I think one of the iOS updates might have done away with the need for "RetinaPad". But this is how we learn.

* iMame4All. ...which supports the iCade cabinet, so I ordered one. Haven't installed any ROMs to go with that yet. But, you wanted games? (there are also emulators for all the 8 and 16 bit consoles, but I haven't tracked those down either. big stupid distraction...)

• I jb'd my ipad2 as soon as the 5.1 version came out. Purely to use mywi with lemur.

Can now actually bang out fast on time drums pads over osc without any noticable latecy. Before using midi over wifi it was atrocious for keys or drum pads.

• Bought a new app, installed it, no interference from Apple on account of the jail breaking.

(I went with Hexler's "sonic life", which was easy to configure the ports on, and is pretty to look at, but it's a lot of visual change for very little generated OSC. not sure i'd recommend it)

• All my iOS devices have been JBed for 99% of the time I've had them. It's only rare windows when I don't have them modified.

I've never had an app complain or run into any funny business at all.

• well, I think that does it...

down ANOTHER rabbit hole.

btw, if anyone is interested, working on some custom ableton device templates for lemur. I know there is some MU stuff I have yet to try, but am having fun making things custom. I plan on having my iPad with lemur act as a multidevice control for several vsts and monome apps using macciza's template work (for the monome stuff, though it will likely be modified as well).

• Shimoda I'd be interested in this, I still have my legacy lemur, I use MU on ableton, and I'm working on integrating my m64 more into the mix.