tiltmap - max/msp port. all monome sizes

  • the chuck version wouldn't work for me so i brewed my own.

    work in progress, though mostly working. the blip synth only responds to the first grid on monomes bigger than a 64. will fix this soon. might add midi for extra strength..

    serialosc only now

    someone better recreate the original video: https://vimeo.com/290917 with a new 256 and a passed out cat or three.

    **max6**

  • desperately trying to get this to work... have literally been waiting for years for something like this to show up- since the last batch of walnut 64's with tilt responded strangely to the chuck tiltmap patch (one of the axis were inverted and i couldn't flip it in the program no matter how hard i tried).

    i have a greyscale 64 with me at the moment, but unfortunately no movement and seemingly no input from the tilt sensor in the device. i'm running serialosc on mac 10.7, tried the monomeserial bridge as well with the tiltmap prefix. in both cases i get buttons lighting up, and the synth works just fine, though no movement.

    midi would be wonderful for sure! hope i can figure out how to get it running through serialosc somehow so i can use it with the new 256 when it arrives! thanks for posting this!!!!!!

  • I'm experiencing the same problems as jaygillian, on a similar set-up...

  • i take it you've calibrated and checked the messages for sensors on?

    any errors in the max window?

    i'll relook at the serialosc stuff in the morning. it could be something i've done (most likely) or also how much is implemented in the current serialosc.

    can you confirm your tilt works fine in the monometest app?

  • yes my monome test was fine but the same with eveyone else... synths/lights/serialosc not a problem.... tilt = nogo : ( thank you for the effort though!!

  • updated the file at the top of the tread.

    serialosc tilt working for me now..

    might still need some tweeking as tilts gone from 10-bit to 8-bit messages so some things might be off.

    if peeps with official monomes could let me know what axis settings they use I could probably make them the defaults to make things easier for people to setup..

    edit: oh, and if your wondering I had the tilt on/off message wrong (without set).. :p

  • AWESOME! totally working now with my gs64 through serialosc!!!

    with the cable orientation on the left, i have to click the invert X axis in your patch to get the correct effect. then everything works perfectly as far as i can tell!

    thanks again for porting this... the original video in your first post is what got me into monome in the first place, so i am extra excited about this patch!

  • wooooooo working dammn well on my 128!! thank you muchhh!

    i noticed something weird though and it is when i tilt off the grid (whatever design i have made is no longer on the grid) .. when i tilt it back on a few leds are askew?

    otherwise a damn good feeling to have the new 128 tilt working through serialosc!

  • oh, seems its when you tilt off the top end yeah?

    will get that sorted, had an array error the other day, my fix musta mixed that up again..

  • @NICE-ICLES - do you also have to invert your X axis to get it to respond in the traditional sense? just curious, trying to understand how tilt is set up on my gs64 as compared to your new 128...

  • no inverting needed. just strait through the instructions and it works minus what i already said!
    in fact when i do my tilt with monome test and any other app when i can actually see the calibration, my raw data is never centered, always and only in the bottom left corner. and can only tilt (if you were looking at 128 from an above view) up or to the left.

    my gs64 connects and centers instantly then i just need normal calibrating for whatever app.

    however, with your app the 128 works perfectly? i just want to understand why or how to fix this in apps like straw or polygome

  • **updated.** shapes should stay fine now i think
    **(B3 file in first post)**

    @NICE-ICLES not sure I can help you with that (without acquiring a 128, which wouldn't be so bad)

    all i do in this app is take the incoming tilt data 0-255 and put it through a peak and trough to find the top and bottom values outputted and scale them to the speed of some metro objects... different tilt sensors output different values. mine does about 50-200 as far as I know..

  • hmm well thanks for the info i will give this a go and let you know!

    and i was saying that your app works perfectly anyways with my tilt issues just wondered if you had set it up any different than the others!

  • wish i had me some tilt :(