Max6 - Projects

• Anyone use the projects in Max6 yet?

I toyed with it a few months ago, but couldn't really wrap my head around it, and there's next to no documentation with it, so I left it alone.

I revisited it the other day as The Party Van has grown to 72 files now, of all sorts (polys, javascript, audio, presets, abstractions, etc..). I want to try to make it as easy to share/use/modify as possible, and at the moment, other than "click the top left most file" it's just everything dumped in one folder.

My concerns at the moment:
    I'm not sure how externals work in this project hierarchy, especially when moving cross platform.
    Can you open the project without the project window opening at the same time?
    The "you don't need to save" thing scares the shit out of me, since my workflow has me forking off the main patcher at different steps along the way (most releases range from 08c-08k, with each one being a separate version I break off). There's a 'snapshot' feature, but I don't know how that works into the workflow.

I really like the idea of projects, and would like to start using it, but the lack of documentation stinks.

• Hmm, none of that sounds too promising in terms of the shareability and maintainability.

Why, oh why can't you just have 1 level of folder depth outside of the search path (that works even the first time you load it).

This would be a non-issue if I could just have a folder with everything in it (like it is now) but each thing living inside it's own folder (/audio, /polys, /abstractions, /etc...)

I played with some code that dynamically alters the search path, but the first time you open the patch it doesn't work since that part of the code runs after max looks for polys/abstractions/etc..

• i know the frustration of being able to have nested folders — mlrv deals with it by waiting for the searchpath to be added, manually adding the subfolders, then telling all the bpatchers to load.

it's a pain and would be great if projects could help deal with this issue... at this stage haven't had a chance to delve into at all though (or any of max6 really..)

if you have any success, it'd be great to hear how it all works!

• Are you doing that in java?

• no -- just all messages to bpatchers and a bit of timing jazz to make it work sequentially. it's a pretty ridiculous workaround to have to do though. i get the feeling there must be a better way to handle it.

• I had a poke through the code but nothing jumped out at me as saying "this is it".

I definitely want to avoid longwinded workarounds, especially with a potential solution around the corner, it just seems ridiculous that this is still a problem.

• yeah that patch is pretty hard to find your way around.

this is the part that adds paths to the directory:

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    662.3oc0W1saaCBFF9XmqBjq1YYoFbv+rcCripzNdpZBaSZXxFrLjtzU068w
    OwYNQKdNKNVoGDR3CL7xSd+Lvqy77yDaoRevm.eC3485LOOaHS.uc087qHay
    KIRa274zeJx9g+bWSJ5VkMrZMSVST4qoMsssRvUR1unl1gvEA6By2Tw3kTkc
    3f+InXipMJZWTWH0K0TmB88mq+.dryDvIU1F8+Bs7YphkS.OP2Pa0fURL9Se
    uglqbCBL.q0BHJ0TFGZJQAKB1OprB63oWjeDgaGGI44VMb2CFUbv5E3+YSwc
    e0TR4EtHfGMO6aylYJleY3sTPJpnRIPOmqub.COIfuT3ZYqqLoW1Biv9iGeb
    fogtpgJ2ymbQonwoqfEH7xz.zb8uhCvII1eknkZG08+yyfKDZVuHJJ1ZIw8g
    skiHzTfLf7JlslQ3OMJYrN9.wVCUXzBbOoriooptgwUq.xWLKWvGj2qe.8h9
    9a3DvPDzxpTWhXXZu4fioYRnwTln7l9kSNeDx5ihf8hFb5U0IoHY2z9HXbbW
    eDpeeTTvHBKMYDkaTza9s5rLI0Zlhi52LsbT2qqproKbd2rOmySgBsegS5CY
    i4gCpan05SkAH001CmcyZoPKS6.nTTudpwLkaEqzltAjTRS952AHxcVoj9QT
    XWDY6geIie78cryhI9gbSJ1zj2J61aC.f6mnBpTw3DESv6zISptNkaeuVyJJ
    n7t4NUrhZgd2fcp3D2RXvh5fY6uqooWQ+SJo2vXJ0zwy2IT0YJJXh6nnH2I1
    0uPqs1jHW7zhvAQvvoUSGkrcpTxzoUUWAqVXXv0wpMnr0yOsvblQ28+2obas
    K9u6zAfVzD+lE7PzzYlqhVZXVTnkbv8UNPq5JuM62Tf2TFI
    -----------end_max5_patcher-----------

then this part loads a bpatcher with a file from one of those subfolders (depending on the argument of the bpatcher it is already inside)

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    714.3oc4W00aSCCE84zeEVd7FcS1NIMIvSSBDfDTMdDMMgbSbaMJwoJ1cTXZ
    +2w14ilMZKYaoQUhWriuN8dO43y85auajCbV9FlDBdC3ZfiycibbrlLFbpV6
    .ynahSoR6qA4hTlBNtbGw5L6Z6VnsFyWqpshqrVZR8qUrxnAgfap1ZEUEujK
    V78BVrpbWeuKPiAD7D6je8XyOgmXAS9rebNtFLw4YYLg0APnwz8iFYFF2wuL
    A6mZ+U6MEaSoqJ.Z7srfMufIWtMVo4EkPEcwDeuHDYr9IOLNXhu4oHRjGVaC
    2BzyyEJI+2VB.q2nWIQiyEzL6FvOxRuko3wTvT1ZFb+7LFEZ31.hcz0xyncy
    ytQ8HolKXynhEvm.yP1IyP1GyT59p49gkvSrSUZy8QSdOGZJiIkzEr+hmd86
    d+mu7aWneWMrd4r0wVGgirSQH6hv8vP9+2JjpHFrWGzQt8pN5KWd0UeZ5GN8
    URUTjmkbvnfCpjH8nRRxRAX.4oPM3cRMtcRIMtGR5BQa0QdSNjZhzmEuSyoI
    FgF3L7KmsNdkjJYGWz+9pMR3ygclYCJqnFC2RKZP40za3BIqnISKe9bIqBYm
    iQQF3nmcaAnNzGPsUZwhpl111Dkt8Dc2OTEOWzhEbsxBeaYYRjMr3f1oS6ME
    zESZ0ClwO6LVsOCamZF1mkujwE7UJfNnIZG.ZXWPAaUJMlAdE9jujFgTdEY3
    AubjDziIppkb4iDoO+D08dAYeTJqhhJ0oAnCdwHp1OR5s0X3roFT7fuW.7sl
    gy9pYTKbJs.toE8ZcOLkKd7eAx5Di8Gx4x70Ew0grpmXcy9MnLgIUbQSZw0M
    2j29kVxSRXh1YyY7jU4bgpIkdmJf9ESdCJlzp5NfIzvhovNfIRzvhoNqmvCm
    dxsKXhLrZbutfI+g+rC2k7tA7rizEMdvvd14e5gI7wt7jdw8i9C1AKHA
    -----------end_max5_patcher-----------

• That looks good though my patch is more about polys/abstractions (the only bpatcher is serialosc) and I think that stuff gets searched for even before the first loadbang fires.

Thanks for posting that though. It's always great to see people's solutions to stuff.

• i know with polys you can just load them without a referred file, then have the poly's referred abstraction sent in a message.

not sure about abstractions in general, but i'm sure there's a way. this is how i had to re-instantiate all the graphical icons in mlrv so to be able to have an /images folder.