mlr strategies -> what multiples of sample speed are in tune with eachother?

• I've been experimenting with mlr bringing in very long samples, e.g. 2 - 4 minutes of guitar. The tracks start out defaulting to a high speed, all chirpy but then I set the speed to 1 to get them to play back at original tempo. I then assign the same 1 or 2 samples to all the tracks but set some of them as backwards and at faster and/or slower speeds, then chop these up and patternize them etc (e.g. the clicks and pops of turning on the recorder and chair squeaks become a rhythm part). Then I bring in these varied sounds as additional voices as the piece proceeds.

Sometimes i get lucky and a speed of 36.2 or something sounds cool along with the original speed source material. Other multiples don't sound so good. Is there a way to calculate which sample speeds will sound good together, assuming the source tracks (at original speed) all start out in tune with each other? Like is there a magic multiplier?

I love the happy accidents but then there are the no-so-happy ones which are not so good, esp live.

• Check out [transratio], Josh. It's an abstraction that's part of Max. You can translate intervals from a [kslider] to the speed value then plug them into mlr. It probably wouldn't be difficult to hack this right in with a little [kslider] on each row defaulting to original pitch - 1.0 - at C3. I think there's already some basic patchwork for this in the pitchshifting playground Max example.

Are you working in 4.6.x or 5?

• Cool i will check that out!

Max 5 at the moment

• I just checked Max 5. There's a Help file for [transratio] itself. If you create a new [transratio] object then option-click to get the [transratio] Help patch you should have what you need to set speeds according to whatever relative transposition you want them to play against the original. The "transposition frequency ratio" in the Help patch is what you would plug in for speed in mlr.