Creating an impulse response (tutorial video)

• Here's a video I made on creating an impulse response using the HISS impulse response toolkit.

https://vimeo.com/55440630

Lots more interesting tutorials coming up too.

FYI the objects (HIRT) were done by Alex Harker (of the Harker externals you need to run the Party Van) and PA Tremblay.
    Some interesting stuff in here, most of which is going to be incorporated into the party van (ie more input convolution and deconvolution (ie microphone correction) as well as some room/speaker correction stuff).

• Very cool!
    Thank you for making and sharing the video.
    Makes me want to start running around capturing resonance of spaces all over!...
    I think I will :-)
    p.

• Go to town!

Even having used the objects before the A/B comparison is uncanny in the video...

• It really is quite impossible to tell the difference. And certainly enough to inspire some ideas!

• Having heard it a ton of times now I can hear some subtle differences (only in the snare) but that's not to say one sounds better than the other.

• Many thanks!

• Forgot to give the link to the externals:

http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/14897/

• Very cool!

• There's a lot of possibility here. This thought particularly excites me:

Smearing the impulse with a frequency sweep should make it a lot easier to simulate the phenomenon of sympathetic strings.

Example:
    record one impulse of a room that has a piano in it. then hold down the sustain pedal and record a second impulse. subtract the first from the second, and you've isolated the influence of your undamped strings.

(if you really wanted to get crazy with it, you could hold down one key at a time instead of the sustain pedal, and record 88 room samples. Which could then be used towards replicating an extended piano technique or two that were previously very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve in software)

...and then, if we can store the impulses as presets and morph between them, that opens up all manner of creative opportunities.

• Can just record the sweep played back at the piano, no need to record a 'regular' version too. Since the sweep is a known quantity, everything that isn't the sweep becomes the IR.

What you're saying is possible too. Multiconvolve~ takes a message to set the buffer where the impulse response lives.

You could wrap it in a poly and 'play' the piano reverb on a source if you wanted!

One of the upcoming videos will be dealing with creative (and non-linear) convolution. Probably won't get into anything as intricate as this, but it will present some ideas on funky stuff to do with convolution.

I'm pretty amped about the non-linear convolution as that basically simulates things like amps breaking up really well, as what makes that kind of stuff sound great is the fact that it is non-linear in nature.

I don't understand the math of it at all but it does some funky stuff based on harmonics of the impulse response, and calculates them all differently etc... (the paper linked above gets into more detail about it).

• God damn this is so cool.

• I'm reading the paper right now.