monome>modular

• i'm dreaming the last few days of a box or module that i plug my monome into and it spits out gate and 1v/oct signals to drive a synth.

no computer. just a box that has a usb port and a few 1/8 jack outputs. plug monome in, connect your synth, and away you go.

is that feasible from a hardware perpective? i'm not talking about fancy analog functions or weird envelopes, just gate, pitch and trig signals triggered from monome.

serialosc wouldn't come into the picture - just serial i/o. press a button, box does something to your synth (pitch/gate/trig), sends led data back to monome.

obviously you wouldn't have the ease of apps that you have in the computer, but maybe you have a limited range of sequencer/pitch/etc apps in the box.

from the box end, all you'd have to deal with is the serial data coming from the monome, and the synth signals on the other.

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=tech:serial

is there something about the architecture of the monome usb implementation that absolutely requires a computer usb connection? isn't it just +-V and +-data?

• Feels very possible..

You'd need at least a reasonably powerful microcontroller capable of simultaneously handling physical interactions and your sequencing/cv software, attached to a dc-coupled audio interface (or appropriate dsp gear) embedded within your monome device.

The serial protocol would probably be thrown out for this project (no need for an FTDI chip) and you wouldn't be able to recall any form of "session data" unless you added some capability for persistent memory.

Rest of it is being creative trying to fit as much functionality as possible onto those buttons!
    EDIT: AND smoothing out those dsp algorithms for some nice control voltage behavior. :)

• same dream here :)

• do you know much about this stuff Murray? could you, for example, use the USB port on an arduino to read/write button pushes and led instructions and then use the arduino output pins to fire synth signals? I guess you'd also need to scale the output signals too...

maybe you'd need something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9628

• more info on arduino/modular synth hook up here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,7468.0.html

• Have you considered monome - raspberry pi (with pD) - modular?

EDIT: never mind, just read that your not interested in a computing method.

• hey dean, no like you say I'm thinking of something simpler. have peeps been using pd on a pi yeah? cool.

• I only assumed so, i havent really been keeping track of the Pi. :(

• monome>pi>midi-to-cv-interface(or just midi)>synth?

• Snyderphonics is working on a "manta mate" I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to link, but google it. OSC to CV

• hmm. sounds interesting.

• the new arduino due seems like it could be capable of this.

i know the due can act as a usb host but i have no idea how complicated it would be to write the code that interfaces the usb data into useable matrix commands.

essentially you'd be coding replacements for the FTDI driver (to decode the serial commands?) and serialosc (for turning raw serial into useable data).

you could then slave another arduino which actually handles the PWM outputs (converted to CV with buffered R-C networks)...

• 'tini:

The monome->usb->arduino route would require an embedded serialosc-like interpreter on the Arduino to translate press/LED data.. depending on which Arduino you use you'll have more or less space to fit your instructions on the Arduino's microcontroller. So depending on how much memory the embedded-serialosc program would take up, you could use the remaining space for synth/monome-client code.

Mentioned in the above topic, another challenge I see is the resolution of the control signals produced by an Arduino.

I think a good solution would be a central Arduino for general management (monome state and offloading DSP code) interfaced to separate monome and DAC circuits.

• Really if the Raspberry Pi is capable of playing well with PureData and off-the-shelf DC-coupled audio interfaces, that would be the least technical way to go with this.

EDIT:
    Out of curiosity I checked the PD website and for the Raspberry Pi distribution of pure-data, release on January 7th, 2013:

Pure Data 0.44.0
    jack and ALSA fixes, and more

• food for thought. seems like a cool project though eh?

• @murray - fantastic news! I may have to get myself some Pi now. Does serialOSC work with the linux distro on the pi?

@tini - do it!

• The Manta Mate...

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/manta-users/AOC2GcXwEa4

https://manta-users.googlegroups.com/attach/c4a967f5579e61ca/panel.jpg?gda=uFV-cUcAAAAc_7kjMENn3OHFjMhz-7hfVJa2-CXVh4GNGExuROnMf-Eyt9VCjcWENQADAlsZHv83MCnZ3ExGKa1voVhs8LxdeV4duv6pDMGhhhZdjQlNAw&view=1&part=4

Jeff also said he just got a Raspberry Pi and is working on getting PD up to snuff
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/manta-users/G46yJ50O2Xs

• I was going to say raspberry pi but a little Scottish fellow got in before me!

I would ask over at the mutable instruments forum too. There's some uber geek brain power over there! Also the MI projects work with atmega micro controllers so if you could go the audino route, those guys would know. It has to be possible with one of those little controllers.

• Someone who has their hands on a Raspberry Pi should download the serialosc source and try to build it, although I think the included 'waf' installer is busted. I had to revert to a way-old commit (I don't have the sha# off-hand, but if someone needs it I'll provide it) and build to get it to work.

It'd be really cool to shift my realtime sound experiments from a mobile desktop rig to an embedded solution AND add the option to directly interface with a modular. But for now i'm poor, poor and not even spare cash for a Pi. :)

• Damn scots.