serial osc spanning two 128s into a 256. HOW!?!?

• i have been looking intensively for a while i realize there are griddle and board that are designated to do this but i am stuck on both.

on board no serialosc app will connect to the "board" from the dropdown menu.

griddle. i have no idea what to do. i am admitting i am very noob city with terminal and the whole griddle stuff.

any easy way to explain or more recent apps for this im missing?

• i believe pages will do this?

• pages doesn't do spanning unfortunately, griddle is probably the best option for this.

• agh i was excited! so no one out there is spanning two monomes as of 2013?

• humans are indeed spanning monomes as of 2013.

as phortran suggested, griddle is the probably the best option for this.

griddle: http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:griddle

discussion: http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=12095&page=4#Item_19

• seriously, griddle is the way to go. it's not as hard as you think.
    modify the conf file to your needs. and if you're on osx, just set up an automator with an apple script to run the terminal command and you have your one click solution. I'm willing to post mine if you want..

• yes if you could post yours id be forever grateful... ive been editing my conf file but no luck. the automator idea sounds golden! thanks guys!

• glad to help.

bear in mind, the automator is the last part of the chain, first you need to make sure it's running fine.

you want to:
    - move the griddle folder to a safe place (like documents/monome etc.)
    - open griddle-basic.conf (txt)
    - save as e.g. mygriddle.conf
    - Give the virtual monome a name, overwrite "test" in the brackets (e.g. 256; that's what you're gonna see in serialosc)
    - change size to 16, 16
    - modify the entries below #attached physicals devices
    => How you see them in serialosc
    the two numbers after the equal sign is the offset, if your 128s are horizontal, you'll want to change the second device to 0, 8
    - save the conf file

-now open terminal and type "cd /path to the griddle folder" (e.g. "cd /Users/you/Documents/griddle-blabla") >enter
    -then type "python griddle.py mygriddle.conf" (or what you named it)

now the service should be running and added to serialosc dropdown...
    note: the terminal window needs to stay open. if you close it, the service quits.

if it works, you can open automator, drag "run apple script" to the workflow and paste: (modify the path and name matching yours)

on run {input, parameters}
    tell application "Terminal"
    activate
    do script with command "cd /Users/you/Documents/griddle-blabla; python griddle.py mygriddle.conf"
    end tell
    end run

-save as an application

that's it ;)

• O M GOD!!!!!! i could kiss you on the lips!!! thank you so much!

• ***WARNING***

To say I have no idea of what I am talking about would be an understatement!!!!

But I must span my two 40hs.

I am a Mac user running OSX 10.6.7 serislosc 1.2.

so I have

moved the griddle folder to a safe place (like documents/monome etc.)
    - open griddle-basic.conf (txt)

1st Q. In the monome folder appears a few files. "griddle-basic.conf" appears as a grey icon with green "exec" When I open it it opens in "IDLE." I have also tried opening with "TextEdit"

- save as e.g. mygriddle.conf

In TextEdit it saves with a no app blank page icon
    In IDLE I saved another copy (ie griddle-basic-2.conf) and edited original "exec" and renamed it. As it also changed to a no app blank page icon if I tried to save as.

- Give the virtual monome a name, overwrite "test" in the brackets (e.g. 256; that's what you're gonna see in serialosc)
    - change size to 16, 16

done except left for 128. ie 16,8
    - modify the entries below #attached physicals devices
    => How you see them in serialosc
    the two numbers after the equal sign is the offset, if your 128s are horizontal, you'll want to change the second device to 0, 8

Done

- save the conf file

In TextEdit it saves with a no app blank page icon
    In IDLE I saved another copy (ie griddle-basic-2.conf) and edited original "exec" and renamed it. As it also changed to a no app blank page icon if I tried to save as.

-now open terminal and type "cd /path to the griddle folder" (e.g. "cd /Users/you/Documents/griddle-blabla") >enter

Both methods result with "cd//Users/myname/Documents/Monome/griddle/mygriddle.conf: No such file or directory

*Note I changed the griddle-basic.conf to mygriddle.conf. For both "IDLE" and "TextEdit" attempts.

What is this noob doin wrong. Nice an simple like. Just too get me this far. Then I will try the rest of the instructions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the patients to try get me going.

• 'cd' is the command to change the current directory (folder). You should have omitted the config file name when running cd.

• thanks. i'll give it a try.

• gave that a try no luck. been trying some other variations to try eliminate the error I must be creating.

My terminal screen is

Me-My-MacBook-Pro-17:~ niftytron$

I type

cd/niftytron/Documents/Monome/griddle

Response

-bash: cd/niftytron/Documents/Monome/griddle: No such file or directory.

in my finder window the folder is located in

niftytron/Documents/Monome/griddle

????????

What am I missing here.

• cd /Users/niftytron/Documents/Monome/griddle

space after cd and you need to specify the full path (ie. /Users/).. this is also equivalent:

cd ~/Documents/Monome/griddle

• Thanks phototran. One step closer.

I typed

python griddle.py griddle.conf

and terminals response

creating niftynome (3333)

But alas no niftynome in my serialosc dropdown.

I assume this is in a maxpat app. ie I open test, chit change expecting "niftynome" to appear with my two 40h's

• whoops
    Thanks phortran.

Got to excited.

• lol, no problem. but you're right, it's working then?

• Its not showing "niftynome" in any apps as an option to connect too.

• Bump.....

So close I can feel it

• hey niftytron, did you get the zeroconf serialosc max patch installed? you'll need to use that one with griddle. i also use it for external apps for pages and have instructions on the doc page on how to set it up:

http://monome.org/docs/app:pages

• ah. No Zeroconf. I'll give that a go.

• Na, no go.

So "http://monome.org/docs/app:pages" was talking for max 5.

I took of max 6. Installed 5. Got that working with the non zeroconf serialosc.

Then replaced it with the zeroconf version. Run the terminal bits. Niftynome setup.

But then max5 dosnt see any 40h's or niftynome.

I am thinking maybe I should take every thing off my computer and start from scratch.

Do a new set up with the zeroconf in mind.

What do you think?

Is max 5 the only option for zeroconf?

• actually max 6 works for me, 32 bit though. shouldn't be any terminal bits.. all that has to be done is:

download this:
    http://monome.org/docs/_media/app:serialosc:serialosc-zc-2013-06-14.maxpat.zip

unzip, copy serialosc.maxpat to the /Applications/Max6/patches folder

download this:
    http://monome.org/docs/_media/app:zeroconf-max5-osx.zip

unzip, copy all the .mxo files to /Applications/Max6/Cycling '74/max-externals

then get any max monome app, delete any serialosc.maxpat it may have inside of it and run it. check the max window to make sure you aren't getting errors. if that works you should be set.

* note your path may be /Max6 Runtime/ if you just have runtime installed

• Thanks phortran.

I thought I had done all those things.

I will have another work through step by step.

• Well, I have the virtual monome

"niftynome" showing in the dropdown.

I can connect it.

But alas no action in apps.

No errors in max window.

But "terminal" has

OSCServer: AttributeError on request from 192.168.1.101:61965: 'int' object has no attribute 'strip'
    OSCServer: NoCallbackError on request from 192.168.1.101:61965: No callback registered to handle OSC-address '/gome/grid/led/all'

• I tried to do the "automator" bits. No success yet. However

Should the niftynome work before thats done or not?

• i think you may need to check the prefix config in griddle and make sure it's set up for /gome .. my best guess

• WWWWWoooHHHOOOOOOOO.

One small step for mankind one massive step for niftytron.

Thanks so much for you patients and guidance.

(oh I got it working)

• Problem was I had not named the 40h's as my 40hs

Insert pace palm here.

• This corner of the WWW rocks.

• very good!! glad to hear it!