monome, arc and CV output

• There are a couple of threads here about modular systems, but not too much specific discussion of integration approaches.
    I am curious to hear how you decided to set up your systems to allow monome and arc controllers work with modular environments (especially euro).
    Any particular applications you found especially useful in this context?
    p.

• stretta has a patch or two that will output CV straight out of max with the right interfaces.

• Which ones?

• i believe polygome does this ??

• Did any of you build their own tools to interface grid and/or arc with modular? I am just starting to use the MOTU Ultralite to send voltage control out. Seems pretty straight forward, but am interested in "comparing notes" with anyone who did similar things.

• @galapagoose : I don't see CV options in polygome...
    Maybe I am missing something obvious though.

• think it was plane that has a cv version for sequencing.

• an audio interface with dc coupled outlets, a multimeter, and software are needed to output cv well. a multimeter can measure output range of an audio interface.

expert sleepers silent way vst's can do cv quantization (1/v octave or custom microtonal temperaments), functions, triggers, etc and output those signals through a dc coupled audio interface, or a calibrated ac coupled interface and expert sleepers (eurorack) modules. the suite of silent way plugins are midi/osc'able which means that one could write monome applications to control silent way vst's, thereby controlling cv's...

an alternate approach would be to write max/msp or supercollider applications that convert midi to volts, and use a dc coupled interface to send cv's. then, monome applications will be written to control midi or osc -> volts from the dac interface via max/msp or supercollider.

am actively working on this development (software -> cv) and would love to collaborate.

• @away message : very cool! so, what are you working at at the moment? any particular functionality/application?
    i did experiment a little with adding small chunks of code to some of the existing monome apps that parasitically fed off of midi and converted those to 100cent per semitone 1V per octave output.
    now am pondering making something specifically for modular.
    if you are up for it, we can swap some files and see if we could cobble something together. i mostly work with max.
    p.

• here's a quick msp abstraction that serves as a function module
    the difference between our examples is your output is calibrated for 1v/octave while the abstraction below serves as 'linear' cv mod

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    515.3ocuTEraiBCD8L7UX4yIHaGvEVsW1uiUUUFrSpq.aD1zMcqZ+1WrMjP1
    lnPpp5gXz7XxLy68F7qwQvR8dgAB9A32fnnWiih7PNfnw3HXCaeUMy3SCVoa
    ZDJKbU3cVwdqG+mqWuFXZEUxsu.z811dKXJIUey.Rsv5KAZDca2tRebxADsx
    Zj+U3PwoGfaY1pGkpcOzIprgYkPwCuFrI6N2CblqF.BIAAt+XOkpoVhGAkb+
    rpKeZMgBm0UEqw2U3u5jrZn6EuEG6NVsPcQI9yPY+frTKUh2OuNPFQCP1WZE
    AtAMxcpggXE.VxT6fGnzMHO3f7f75R5UTGxGUGbw2h5vYUuekkjalygUhTxs
    y4zuVNW1asZ04oG9Rd+oN9koINPSBZ5bwK9zOCW11qprxKwlzKwls0Zl0sHO
    8awzqH3egEXL5VH3AajqaXRkOKDBgls7zMXtVQ2CBEqrVLeeiw4sZoxNdmnu
    8giwm3wfz7hjMTLsH87XS+ILBiRnax2fnGSLiPyRJxtKibLwbJdvRI3z7YUb
    ZvGyBb+LuyKH9KX9uKv8xpC+TC0n66plbloOxAG0UtvXkJl2lmkT5II8njyE
    p4JFWZbhnW+Qmc0ZoyiqS3qMNEeaiCcApymUbBdGqs8YQmYrj9AY3ytmzctP
    5JenTEB8UD1IdVNkedrqZuE+OLp3B6.
    -----------end_max5_patcher-----------

• Yeah, function is great for some unusual envelopes. And so simple to quickly get results.
    Here is the basic MIDI to 1v/octave conversion. 9 octaves as my MOTU does not output full 10V but rather +/- 4.5V

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    608.3oc4VFriaBCDF9L7TXQuztJAgchARuUopVsG5SP0pJC3j0UfcDXZS6pc
    e1qsA1Px5jR1PhpTufgwCl+4aFO3Gbc7RDanUdf2C9Jvw4AWGGiIsAm1mc7J
    HaRyIUF273zeJR9t2jlojzMRi4LR5S.XmYVlwnxwovfNiKEbImTPMS8gRFIu
    aFdcAimSklu.bqQQsryZPuEoh8ayh.Q9clWSjo2y3q9VIMU1DNvYX0zfYPyv
    7H8UTfe.3N8q7nqq9xjgF00EIzxmrEevSL9PcqAWRK+gxIkMbvyQxtgMxVXC
    8wKvv3n14ZbW9q0zl.2qhshq+3.uk4BhBG205YgHi1eUUNZX6QwnQa.TrAig
    yOOLZu3ImwoVYK9Ux1QEhID9psL7vUZHbSAG9rPTpnnfxkufQRA3K29waUE8
    gf29o2.9bBH9ccdoAXpnlK2o.aKHwWi8fKKWkz.j.+Pbvh3IVtApwRuXKUjK
    JOo2xRB.AM0nvPC5iMOLa9Hm.VVJJZSAwcYfovAmBh9+HEzT8GCOqTvAZSTk
    RxoJ5GD3q2FnGlBU25aq0A5D4cnUdCONueQWi8Z3djlEHy.b9rKQC0p04Lot
    NUgIavIJ7Doyrg2X8Hzgo2V0LL.D0tcNBcIHzM.np9wJahFke5bwpbfKZNPC