How Does Daedelus Use The Monome?

• hey,

i'm a big daedelus fan since day one! and although i got a monome for about 2 weeks (hahaha...) now, and learned a lot of how this beautiful device works, I'm still wondering how he is using it...

-does anyone know which app he uses? i guess mlrv : ) and how does he use it?
    -sometimes he jumps between 2 rows (obviously both in group 1) and freestyles like in the video at 5:10...why??

-how/when does he exchange songs while performing??
    -sometimes it seems that he has mor commands, for example choosing between the mlrv-options loop, slice and shot... is it all
    mapping???

i'm just trying to analyze and to understand his way of working..

any ideas/suggestions? : ) i would love to discuss and analyze some aspects here in forum ^^

thanks!

• does anyone know which app he uses? i guess mlrv : ) and how does he use it? -

he uses a modified version of the original mlr which gives him an 'aux grid' (controls from the 64).

sometimes he jumps between 2 rows (obviously both in group 1) and freestyles like in the video at 5:10...why?? -

Look at it this way - why the hell not, the word free is what the monome is all about, use it as you want and find interesting ways to perform.

-how/when does he exchange songs while performing??

How - purely by launching another row and mixing whats playing with whats about to play.

sometimes it seems that he has mor commands, for example choosing between the mlrv-options loop, slice and shot... is it all
    mapping???

see the first answer.

this is all best guess from what ive read in the past or watched. Hope this is of some help.

• thanks for some background-information :)

and i know that the monome means freedom, i was just wondering for what reason he jumps between the rows.. you have any idea? i mean he could actually use just a single row..

i see there's still A LOT to learn^^
    and btw: sorry for my bad english...

• Im not sure what your meaning exactly but mlr/v works by using each row to hold a different sample/loop.

Row 1 - Bass
    Row 2 - Drums
    Row 3 - Perc
    Row 4 - Lead
    Row 5 - Pad
    Row 6 - Claves
    Row 7 - Bass (song 2) etc....

Lets switch between the first bassline and the bassline with song 2. Whilst playing row 1 we will switch to play row 7.

By switching presets we can also change all rows whilst the last preset is still playing simutaneously. ( Im sure).

I hope this makes sense. I may be talking about something completely different from what your asking.

Your english is good, no need to apologise!

• haha yes, i think we are talking past each other :D
    but your post was not for nothing!!! you gave me an information which is quite useful for me!! Thanks :)
    i can feel my brain growing since i have my monome..

watch the video once more.. look what he's doing at 5:10! he has obviously the same sample in row one and in row two!
    maybe he has "one shots" on row one and....aaah, whatever, i don't know!! :D
    this guy's a ninja!!

• at 5:10 it looks to me like he's got 2 different samples (one a weird bassy drone thing, one a percussive shot) both assigned to the same group so he can use one to interrupt the other and create that weird improve he's got going on.

• hey thanks for the reply!
    are you sure? I'd say it's the same sample: row2 = loop; row1: slice
    but maybe your eyes'n'ears are faster than mine ; )

• does software come with the monome or is there a place you can download it? I'am interested in mlr4live?

• monome.org is the place where you can get almost everything you need for your monome!
    if you already have a device you do your set up first:
    http://monome.org/docs/setup
    second: download some of the great applications:
    http://monome.org/docs/app

and this is mlr2.27 for live:
    http://monome.org/docs/doku.php?id=app:mlr_2.27_maxforlive