Mark Fell - 64 Beautiful Phase Violations

• I thought a few of you lot might be interested in this. It's only up the road from me but i've completely missed it :-(

http://thequietus.com/articles/12377-mark-fell-interview

• i've bookmarked this for the journey home from work. looks like a great interview.

are you listening to any of the sensate stuff? i'm finding i can't quite get into the most recent 12s. maybe i need to hear them in a club context...

• not yet i'm going to have a look / listen later

• this interview is fantastic!

in particular, this part speaks to me a lot.

"There's this Italian guy Alessandro Cipriani – a composer and academic – who said you have to learn technology, you have to be able to understand how it works – if you merely use it, you become a slave to it. Whereas for me, if you look at the history of what I do, it's full of people who don't really understand what they're doing, and they're using technology in this manner to create really important music. For example 'Acid Trax' by Phuture – when DJ Pierre made this track using the Roland TB303 he didn't have a manual for it – he was just messing around with it. He's on record as saying he didn't know what he was doing, he was just twiddling knobs. If he had known what he was doing, he wouldn't have made that acid house record, so for me there's a big value in not knowing what you're doing, which a lot of academic discourse… denies."

• Yeah did you read his article in the wire that's from? I remember it was posted on here at the time.

• yeah i think i posted it :p