Wondering about stability for a stage use

• Hi everybody,

this is my first post here, i actually don't own a monome yet, but i'm seriously considering about buying one soon.

I've read a lot online about the Monome, MLR & other app online, but some posts are pretty old, so it's a bit messy in my head ;)
    so if you can help me, that'd be really appreciated!

First, i'd like to use monome in the studio but also on stage. And i'm wondering if MLR & 7up are stable enough on Live 9 to use on stage. Does anybody use it frequently ?
    what about emulations on launchpad or ipad ?

any advices or experiences are welcome.
    thanks

• If you can perform a set without the works of a DAW and just use max and your patches, your set will go without major flaws, and the artistry will overall benefit from being such a bad ass beat smith, imo lol. But, Im not a touring musician so I cant vouch, nor am I a monome veteran, but the second you throw max for live in the mix your taking some major risks.
    Then again, it all comes down to the individual patches stability in which you are trying to use on max for live, ive read some people use patches for m4l that never crash (these are old threads I read for live 8 but im sure its relatively similar slash with time it will be, I hope)

I hope the veterans correct me if Im wrong just trying to help you out with what I do think I know @fioremusic

• @edison please shed some light for this guy

• thanks a lot QThreeReArranger!
    @Edison, what's ur experience with this ?

also, just so u know, i'm a girl ;)

• well..
    i think it's safe to say that mlr and 7up are certainly stable enough...
    i've had experience with mlr... i played tons of show with my 40h and mlr in the beginning and never even had a hiccup...
    daedelus has been rocking for years with that setup... never seen him hiccup either...

i've had almost no experience with 7up, except in the studio... but the dude who wrote it rocks hella shows and ive never seen him have a problem either... @makingthenoise
    that said...
    once i started getting into ableton in the show setting...
    things started getting weird....
    using mlr and ableton and monome serial and yadda yadda.... was just too much to worry about...
    so i switched over to all ableton...
    i always had shitty laptops and no money.... so max4live was out of the question...
    even breaking it all down to just MIDI i had complications....

when it comes down to it, if you're going to monome on stage... it's going to be more complicated than most controller setups...
    but you have the freedoms of creating your own personalized thing...
    i wouldn't worry so much about stability....
    almost everything i've used is pretty solid...
    if not, just don't use it...
    there is so many options... you'll absolutely find what you are looking for here...
    hope that helps!!!

• ^to summarize: if your just using max with the correct patches edison seems to give the stage approval.

In my opinion, Im a rook, but I think you will be able to make an easy judgement from your studio time as to what patches are stable enough to run live and which ones arent. Some are and some aren't, its just the name of the game. Overall, I would recommend purchasing a monome and even an arc if you can!

Since joining the community I have been using the following apps pretty heavily:

The Chocolate Grinder 2, mLRV, Mark Eats Step Sequencer, Rove, The Part Van. I love them all and they have added a lot of options to my time in the studio.

I havent even gotten to mess with monomeserial applications yet because I havent researcehd how to bridge osc and the monome serial and Im loving it, so I cant imagine what things will be like when I have both monome serial and serialosc running when I want them each to.

I hope to see you around.

• thanks a lot guys for your answers, i really appreciate it.

For now, my set up is all about ableton, on macbook pro + synth & controllers, and from what i've seen, and you confirm, max 4 live app don't seem stable anough unfortunately.
    But maybe i can think about a way to swap the problem.

For now, the only app i've tried is MLRV2 with launchpad, and as a standalone, it looks pretty solid.
    Let's see how it goes.

thanks a lot for your help :)

• thanks karaokaze

yeah, i've used mlrv2 in rewire mode and it was really stable, but i could find a way to record inside live vocals on mlrv2, and from what i've seen online i'm not the only one and it looks impossible to do so.
    that's why i try to find a M4L alternativ.

but i keep on searching ;)