monome not recognized after installing monomebridge

• So i tried installing monomebridge last night to run some of the older programs. Everything in my setup was working as expected previously, but not my monome 128 is not being recognized as a selectable device. Here is the the message after running the check-monome command:

=======================
    FTDI installed: ok
    FTDI running: ok
    SERIALOSC installed: ok
    SERIALOSC running: ok
    ls: /Applications/Max6/patches/serialosc.maxpat: No such file or directory
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 40: [: !=: unary operator expected
    ls: /Applications/Max5/patches/serialosc.maxpat: No such file or directory
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 42: [: !=: unary operator expected
    ls: /Applications/Max6.1/patches/serialosc.maxpat: No such file or directory
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 44: [: !=: unary operator expected
    MAXPAT installed: NOT OK -- copy serialosc.maxpat to /Applications/Max6/patches (correct for your version)
    logout

[Process completed]
    =======================

serialosc.maxpat is installed under Max 6.1/patches/ (it is the latest June 13, 2013 version)

any thoughts??

• do other programs still work?
    can you take a screenshot of the interface w/ a monome plugged in?

• monome is not being recognized by any of the applications. the box next to the connect screen is blank. I'll try to get a screen shot tonight. The monome lights up, as normal, when first plugged into the computer.

• are you on mac 10.8.5 by any chance? this sounds very similar to the problems i was having as discussed in this thread: http://monome.org/community/discussion/16907/help-setting-up-monome-for-the-billionth-time#Item_47
    that issue related to a change in permissions in the latest OS update, the 'chmod' command tehn posted there seemed to solve it for me.

• I'm on OSX 10.6.8. So here is an interesting thing...

I ran serial-test.maxpat and the device is being seen as port usbserial-m001033. If I click on buttons they are change on the grid is serial-test. If I launch any other application select device is blank (see screen shot)

Check monome-command still giving the same error message:

=======================
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 40: [: !=: unary operator expected
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 42: [: !=: unary operator expected
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command: line 44: [: !=: unary operator expected
    MAXPAT installed: NOT OK -- copy serialosc.maxpat to /Applications/Max6/patches (correct for your version)
    logout

[Process completed]
    =======================

any thoughts?

583 x 77 - 12K
  • tried re installing Max this morning as well... still getting the same error. I'm at a loss.

• bump... now I'm getting concerned, I just tried connecting the monome 128 to my other Max OSX this one 10.5.8. everything was working fine previously, but I'm getting the same error when I run Monome Test. also the connect box is blank.

Someone help, please.

• just re-read the above. you say the "June 13, 2013" version of serialosc. i can't seem to find a patch aligning to that date on my computer.

the official release is 20 may 2013 (http://monome.org/docs/_media/app:serialosc:serialosc.maxpat-2013-may-20.zip)

if you're using the 14 june 2013 zeroconf version, then you'll need to make sure you've got zeroconf installed correctly. check the max window which should read "zeroconf.service, Service published: xx yyyyy". If you're not getting that message perhaps your install of zeroconf isn't right.

also - you might have zeroconf in the correct place but running the 64-bit version of Max6 which won't run the zeroconf externals (as they are 32-bit).

• not working with either the may or june versions... what's weird is when I run mTest. the 128 shows up as port usbserial-m0001033. but the monome won't show up as a selectable device for any other apps.

• are you using the zeroconf version?
    do you have more than 1 version of max installed?
    do you have multiple copies of serialosc.maxpat on your computer?
    where does the 'june version' of serialosc come from?

• not using zeroconf.
    only 1 version of Max... it is the 6.1 full install (only using runtime)
    check the machine for multiple copies of serialosc.maxpat (the only one is in Max Patches folder)

Here's the output of checkmonome:

Last login: Fri Nov 1 20:19:16 on ttys000
    /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command ; exit;
    Macintosh-00254bb25972:~ Dave$ /Users/Dave/Downloads/monome-commands/check-monome.command ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

appreciate the assist... very confused.

• try monome_home and see what list it gives you: http://monome.org/docs/app:monome_home
    take a screenshot

"usbserial-m0001033" looks fine for the direct serial test

the fact that the serialosc.maxpat is loading in your patches is a pretty clear indication that you've installed that correctly. it seems that there is an error in the serial to OSC conversion stage (serialosc itself), or the OSC to OSC communication (local network messaging).

are you using serialosc1.2a available here: http://illest.net/~will/serialosc-1.2a.mpkg.tar.gz
    perhaps you could try re-installing this?

a couple half-thoughts:
    - make sure Max6.1 is opening in 32-bit mode (just in case). do 'get info' on the app and check "run in 32-bit mode"
    - seems silly, but try closing & reopening max, then try restarting your computer.

• is there a difference between the serialosc1.2a included in the link you provided and the one that is on the setup page? for whatever reason... everything started working as normal again! confused... but relieved! thank you @galapagoose.

• there shouldn't be... i'll double check now.
    i'm pretty confused how it could have been working properly then simply opening a stray max patch would have thrown off the serialosc install... very strange indeed