Monome Max4Live Beginner...

• Hi Folks,
    Happy New Year to you all! Hope you all had a good Crimbo...
    I've recently managed to get hold of a Monome 64... in transit as I type...
    I'm looking to integrate it into my current set up, using Ableton Live...
    Basically I wanted to use the Monome as the central hub for my stuff using pages... so in theory, having one page triggering all my main element and then having other pages dedicated to Monome apps... kind of standard I guess...

What would be the best solution for this? I have Live 9 and Max for Live but no Max/MSP I was looking at the upgrade from Max For Live to the full Max/MSP but If I can get around that it'd be preferable... I do have some experience with Max/MSP so the programming side of it doesn't daunt me that much but I can't get my head around how I could run Max/MSP as well as Ableton... Is this where SerialOSC comes in?? If so what would that allow me to do...

I basically want the best of both worlds... Ableton Live/M4L but still have the option of using the full range of Monome apps...

Am I barking up completely the wrong tree?! Any help/advice/feedback would be much appreciated?!??
    Cheers,
    Jon

• Basically m4l has the same functionality as MSP.
    You can even make MSP patches in M4l by just opening a patch in the editor and then go to file ---> new patch.
    If you save this new patch it will be saved as maxpatch instead of amxd and you can use it outside of live in max RT.

Everything with the osc messages is absolutely the same.
    One main difference is that you don't have acsess to all of your midi and audio ports in m4l because it is ment to use the input and output of your track in ableton.

Another difference is that some objects e.g. Send and receive work a bit different.

Really cool is to use directly the clock of ableton and don't have any hassle synchronising things.
    Also the direct acsess to the functionality of live via the api is great (and not possible with MSP) I think when you get used to the slightly different way of working with m4l you will not miss MSP at all!

Ah well and using monome apps which are not ready for m4l you can use the RT or just port them over to m4l, which often only means doing some changes to the clock and the way midi and audio in and outputs work.

• I actually would like to have a thread here like the one porting things from monomeserial to osc but more about MSP apps that people would like to see in M4l.

• The apps which are easy and straightforward to port have generally been ported, I think. It would largely be a list of ideas in need of significant rewrite.

• Thanks for the feedback, interesting...

So going back to my theory of having monome controlling basic stuff like scene/clip launching etc... do you think it'd be pretty straightforward to get the monome set up so I could use it to trigger clips/scenes etc but also musical apps when needed?

E.G I have a 'page' on the monome set up to trigger clips/scenes/songs... I think flip the 'page' over to one of my apps to play of the triggered elements...

• Have you heard about the app pages?

On this app you can load various monome apps on different pages and you can control live in many ways, i am sure you can shoot clips and scenes.

Or you can take apps like the cliplauncher here:

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:starkaudio-tools

or here:

http://monome.org/community/discussion/9952/m4l-cl-new-m4l-app-for-clip-launching-and-controlling-session-view.