aleph : a few bees basic scenes for dummies

• Before starting, i'd like to say that i bought aleph completely on impulse, i am quite excited but also i'm dreading that it could be way over my abilities. i don't know any programming language (appart from Max at a certain level) but i'd love to know how affordable bees can be.
    So i was wondering if someone could explain how to do very basic bees scenes (i hope i'm not confused in the semantics).
    First ideas would be :

1. Run audio through aleph. With let's say volume on ENC 0.
    2. Output a Control Voltage, set it with ENC 0.
    3. Generate a sine wave (or whatever waveform), control pitch with ENC 0.

Any help, any thoughts would be nice !

• hello! i'm working on a tutorial that will describe such things today. should have it posted in the next few hours.

and don't worry - it's easier than it might seem at first!

• Great news.
    nothing to do with this, but i m stuck : downloading bees from the bees page gives me a .hex file that doesn't seem to be recognized. Any idea where i could find it ?
    edit : forget it, i forgot to make the changes in the bootloader.

• I was confused the 1st couple days as when to go in the bootloader. As I understand now its mostly for when you want to write a new version of Bees to flash memory? What I'm not sure of if this is also they way to push default dsp modules to flash.

• yes that is the only time you use the bootloader: to write new controller (avr32) firmware.

the controller considers .ldr as data and can store them to internal flash. however. this is not happening by default right now, because the .ldr's have gotten too big and need to be slimmed down. also because flash write time is slower than we thought on the production parts, and it seems annoying to be encountering that all the time (e.g. on powerdown.)

so right now scene load always triggers a search for the corresponding module on the sdcard.

• beaten to the punch.

• @chapelier fou: I'd be happy to try to whip up a few of those (if someone else doesn't beat me to it) It will be a good exercise...

• sorry for the delay on these tutorials.

• Here's a VERY simple scene (put it in your data/bees/scenes dir on your sd card).
    This scene has the waves module loaded.

There is only one control. The pitch of the second oscillator in waves is essentially mapped to the value of the 1st encoder.

You can see this in action by going into 'edit' mode then paging to the 'outputs' page. Here you'll see: 000.ENC/VAL -> 087.hz1. This means we're taking the OUTPUT of the encoder and mapping it to the INPUT of the DSP parameter.

If you page over to the INPUTS page, this is where you can fine tune the range of values. For instance, you'll see that I chose to give encoder a specific min/max range with a step value of 100. You can hear what this sounds like by turning the knob. I also configured the encoder to "wrap" and you should quickly be able to hear what that is doing as you continuously turn in either direction.

The best thing I found to do is to play around with INPUT values of DSP parameters until you find some interesting results..once you do, map them to an OUTPUT (encoders, bottons, cv out, foot switch(?)

This has nothing to do with operators yet...I don't really "get" them at the moment :)

• set ENC0/STEP to 256 for semitones, 32 for 1/16th tones.... more about this when i finally get around to the Param Scalers docs page...!

• the next tutorial! http://monome.org/docs/aleph:bees:tutorial1

it's a little complex for not much result, but hopefully it explains a lot of how bees works. working on a far more interesting tutorial2 right now. hope to finish it before sleep.

• Awesome! Questions: Say I'm starting w/ a blank scene. Does this scene start w/ zero operators? When I'm starting fresh and go to the 'operators' page, I see:

001.ENC
    002.ENC
    003.ENC
    004.ENC
    005.SW
    006.SW
    007.SW
    008.SW
    009.SW
    010.ADC
    011.PRESET

What am I looking at here exactly? Things I can add operators too?

• those are the 'default operators' which is to say they are present at the beginning of every scene. they are all connected to the internal hardware and make up the starting point from which to build your own scene.

note, you can't add more of these types of operators as they are limited by the attached hardware. i guess you could call them 'hardware operators' if that makes more sense? on the operators page you make 'software operators'. these 'soft ops' are also the kind that interface with external devices like grids /arcs / midi devices etc.

it wasn't totally obvious to me at first but switches 008 and 009 are the footswitches on the front of the aleph. ADC is the CV input jacks. PRESET is to automate store/recall of presets from within a network (eg. you could have a footswitch advance preset for new pitches / delay times / sequences etc).

• Excellent.. thx. The hardware/software operators concept really drove home the understanding for me. It almost reminds me of an internally patched synthesizer w/ predefined routings but there's also a blank external patch bay :)

• Many many thanks for these, trent !
    i am going away tomorrow for a few weeks, but hopefully i'll have some spare time to dig into this...

• i'd like to follow along with tutorial0 but have mangled the scenes and sd card files into something else entirely. how shall i go about getting back to the SD card as it was shipped? (should've backed up). perhaps it's best i focused on building 'new' scenes right now, but having that reference was great. apologies if this is redundant.

edit: ah, well given that the tutorial0 scene does not work with the updated bees i'm over it! onwards.

• @galapagoose: great tutorials, thank you kind sir.