Getting it up

• I've never had a problem getting the levels of my tracks up before. But I guess it happens to everyone at some point. So, I thought I'd come and ask the good folks at monome for some mixing advice. I'm not crazy for the whole loudness war thing, seemingly sacrificing dynamics for overall level, but I can usually get a track to where I want it without much fuss. Last night I made a kind of live remix of one of my things and recorded it into a single stereo track in Logic and the overall level seems really low in comparison to almost everything else I compared it to. I went back to play with settings again, brought the gain up on a master limiter by around 5db, but any further really started to squash it. This kind of live remix straight into a track is pretty new to me, I'm used to working many tracks and mixing it all into something I'm happy with, it does have a lot of low end and gets quite muddy at times. I know that a lot of people here have live remixing and tracking in their monome workflows, so my questions are; firstly, does this seem overly quiet to you? and if so how would you go about boosting the gain of this single stereo track without squashing everything. Some kind of EQ? Multiple copies of the same track?

I haven't posted here for a while but I've been lurking, following Aleph closely and it's exiting to start to hear things appearing which have been made on it. Looking forward to more videos! Good to be back. Cheers HN

https://soundcloud.com/hatenames/things-older-than-man

• not sure this is a solution for you but when i'm struggling with something being too quiet:

- put a limiter on the master bus
    - set the limit to sound a bit too squished
    - put an eq before the limiter
    - cut eq bands in the 'muddy' or 'unclear' sections until you start to hear the limiter artifacts (squishing) disappear. probably between 250-800Hz
    - add a highpass filter before it all.
    - add a low-shelf and see if there's somewhere to cut 3dB of the junk in the trunk.

you should be able to eq the parts out that are causing the 'bad' limiter sound. you can then turn off the limiter & play around with the eq more after you have a a feel for what is the cause of your 'loudness limit'. basically this is just a very lo-fi (and far more understandable) version of a multi-band limiter. i do not recommend using a multi-band limiter.

• Hey, thanks. It's great to get such a specific reply which I can test out in a methodical way. And I was using a multi-band limiter (lazy hip hop preset) thinking it would make everything nice and loud and punchy, noob.

• Yeah, it isn't exactly the same thing I suppose but I watched an interview with a producer, memory fails me on the name, who seemed very strict about attenuating frequencies rather than boosting when EQing, so even if he wanted to raise a small peak somewhere he'd bring the whole gain down and keep the peak at 0. I didn't get why doing that in the EQ was any different than boosting the peak and bringing the channel gain down but hey, I'm sure all EQ's act differently, and sometimes you just need these quirky workflow rules and eccentricities to keep you going. I thought the title thread would raise a few clicks, I was worried tehn would delete it thinking it was spam, yoga it is then.

• @hatenames mightve been daddykev

and yes i thought this was spam originally