aleph bees introduction

• who's voice[s] ???

i was cracking up at the accent until i realized it might be soren

• i heard it's brian's "evening" voice...

• don't ch'y'all know an australian when you hear one?

• Great voice, great video. I've been wanting to see something like this, so thanks for putting it together. I'm looking forward to future ones.

• thanks!
    I'm excited for the CV explanation - I must be missing something...

• alright well I guess I know what I'll bee buying next..
    monome led me to aalto / rodrigo led me to ciat lonbarde and here I am right back at the beginning again.
    I am excited to see what kind of interaction there will be between the shnth and aleph

• @wednes using rodrigo's samplazzi app a few days ago has me salivating about what will be possible

i cannot wait to really dig into shnth + aleph games

• great to see a more in depth explanatory video!

• is it possible to tack on a more "intuitive" GUI onto the various parameters of a scene? I know it's early days regarding aleph development. just wondering. a primitive take on something approaching the op-1 interface would be really nice.

• sort of the point of making the "screen" and "bignum" ops is just to demonstrate a framework for arbitrary graphics calls from the op network, conditionally enabled. so yes. "intuitive" means different things to different people so it seems best to leave the actual deployment of gorilla sprites to the user.

• soren is working on a sequencer similar to nanoloop with a similar interface.

once a few more things are out the possibilities will be revealed with UI. the text interface is of course the first and most versatile step.

• thats awesome

nanoloop has a pretty cool UI

• hmm. actually I don't really know anything of the op1 beyond screenshots. so I can't really say anything about that. although now that you mention it, it is a bit naff.

I do know nanoloop though - that sounds like a cool UI paradigm for aleph.

being able to switch between data and a "presentation" view would be cool.

• @oootini but i think thats just for soren's new module

each app (and scene?) may vary

• oh yeah I get that. I was just musing :)

• curious what y'all actually think could be a good example of an interface. personally i'm not a huge fan of the op-1's display as it seems to preference beauty over communicating information clearly. also i've found it tiresome to have to memorise the key combinations to navigate through it's dozens of pages. of course i have many friends who love their's and think i'm crazy.

anyway - my point being, what is it about that interface (and the interface of other devices) that is appealing & helpful to the task of making music.

ahh.. sorry this is super off-topic. if anyone has an opinion, you should make a new thread to discuss!

• @galapagoose - I agree with you on the op-1's interface. It was pretty enough for me to buy one but never meshed with it.

I tried to think of what a good example of a visual interface is but I had a hard time coming up with one. Two of my favorite things are the sp1200, and mlr. The sp1200 has a text based interface and I never felt it needed anything more. And I can see mlr getting by with a text based interface because so much of the visual feedback is in the grid.

Personally I like things that don't require much in the way of a UI. I'd rather be able to do things intuitively with buttons and knobs, and have visual feedback from the grid. Or just using my ears, as pretentious as that sounds :)

• To me, It's a hard question for such an open ended arbitrary device such as the Aleph. I assume the OP-1's UI is constructed specifically around all of its internal routings, workflows and functions.

To discuss a potential UI somewhat implies that there are X connections in the network and they are mapped to Y controls.

To me, similar in concept as why there are no labels on the top of a monome grid.

• i'm currently experimenting with the waves module and would like to connect the aleph as a USB device to the computer to interact with parameters in max and ableton. how would i go about this? do i need to build a 'MIDI' or 'OSC' operator to enable communication between the aleph and host computer?

• we are at this very moment working on both MIDI out and serial bridge stuff. still at the driver level. soon though!

serial bridge will be the way to go. i assume its easy to get arbitrary data into live these days through m4l or whatever.

if you do want to make an operator, and are comfortable working with raw serial data on the host side, it would be very easy to hack together right now. you would use the same serial port as is used for debugging, and call something something like this from your new operator:

print( DBG_UART, myString);

or

print_char( DBG_UART, myByte);

then connect whatever to the appropriate device port; this is usually '/dev/ttyACM0' on linux, on mac it seems to be something like 'tty.usbmodem*'

• I can't wait for MIDI Out. Loving this bees intro...and the preset toots. thanks guys.

• some people really feel like they would have wanted all this information at the get go? There is so much to handle I think the centrally connected alephbrain is dictating the speed at which information about itself can be consumed.

• *entirely as a personal reflection and not an official reply* (ie. ramble/rant)

perhaps this is a reflection of the way we consume media these days. to some, having all of the information available at once might be overwhelming. to others it might add a small air of mystique or excitement in watching something grow. maybe it's a bad thing to watch a whole season of breaking bad in one day. i remember a time when i would excitedly wait for a new tortoise record by listening to their previous albums on repeat for weeks.

//

more realistically though, just a little bit of 'ship early, ship often' can go a long way. the hardware is solid, and so it's possible for eager users to help with some of the bigger picture ideas. i'm sure all the info could have been provided up front but it probably would have meant shipping dates were pushed back 6 months – there's a great deal of motivation by knowing there's some of these things in the wild (even if it's only a few dozen)!

• The OP-1 interface is extremely well though out... In that the are distict section which relate back to distict parts of the hardware. They have 4 knobs colored and they relate back to the GUI. Everything is there by "intuitive" because when you look at a screen you know which knob will do what. That is where a lot of the intuitiveness ends. the graphics while fun and amusing only become apparent in the relationship to sounds when they are played. the most straight forward synths pages are the D-Synth (in their upcoming release and D-Box.

List menus like what is in the Aleph a present are akin to a Motorola cellphone from the 90's and the OP-1 a bit like modern windows phone, the answer is not an iPhone like experience.

Elektron has a GUI which is interesting in a know like way and might be a place to look for hints.