Aleph tip/tutorial videos .. a start

• EDIT - whoops.. video encoded incorrectly! will re - upload later

• This is awesome. I was going to start another thread about Bees/Grid programming. But maybe a tutorial vid would be cool. I'm just wondering how to approach isolating buttons/rows/columns. With a lot of IS objects?

• ok, so first off a video with a usability tip, i'm going to try and make a series of these as i keep learning and hopefully they'll be useful to other players :)
    there's another one on how I use step to sequence the DrumSynth (as a few people asked me about that) but it's still encoding so will go up tomorrow morning european time :)

• @eos I've been working with the grid by using a couple of route objects and gates, but Brian has suggested he could knock out a route8 object pretty quickly, which would make everything really easy, so I'll wait for that before doing filming too much grid stuff

• duncan, that's a great tip to share! thanks a lot for all of your aleph contributions so far.

• Here's the drumsyn + step helper video.. sorry if the quality means it's hard to see the display on the Aleph. Will see if I can borrow a better camera soon :)

• nice! Thanks for the efforts!

• EXCELLENT

everything makes more sense now

• duncan I can feel your efforts taking on their own mass

these are the kinds of videos I was waiting for before really seeking an aleph

Also the possibilities of shnthegration still have my interests piqued

• Oh, I don't really know anything about the shnth :)
    But I'm going to try and make a bunch of videos about how I'm using it for realtime processing,

• random q @duncan

what kind of camera are you using?

• Ha, fuji xf-1, great as a hipster styled compact for stills, terrible for video. I'm between homes at the moment, when I move and unpack I'll use my nice Panasonic dslr for films, promise ;)

• its fine...more than adequate

i asked because i like it

if i get around to making video, it will merely be thru the lens in my phone

• really really appreciate your videos! they are a great help!

• excellent excellent video! thank you!

• here's #3 .. more of a 'building block' session . . enjoy

• and #4 .. pitchshifting + harmonising, including my continued inability to understand the fade parameter :)

• and here's one more ( i've filled up my vimeo allowance for the time being, so spread across a couple of youtube accounts for now, I'll put copies on vimeo next week so they all stay in one easy playlist)
    In this one there's a couple of mistakes (that get rectified in part 2).. bonus points if you spot them when I make them :)

Better living through looping - Beekeeping on the Aleph #5 -

Part 01
    http://youtu.be/wc1WJ8pMI30

Part 02
    http://youtu.be/DGGuSDUpyXc

• Seriously Duncan big ups. Amazing tutorials.

• I know what I am doing tonight great work man

• thank you so much !
    i've found a lot of useful tips and methods. very good documents.

• glad these are useful.
    Looking forward to hearing more of what people are making out there with this little box.

• can this thread please be made sticky, would also think it would be worth to link these all in the aleph documentation page but not sure where exactly they would fit best.

once more: thanks so much for doing these, spelling a few very helpful things out once more that seem to be in all the forum threads about the aleph somewhere but kinda buried.

• Thank you so much! Especially for the looper video.

• ++ on adding links to these vids to the docs. maybe 'video tutorials' here http://monome.org/docs/aleph:bees ?

• much as I'm flattered by the suggestion I'm not sure these videos should really go as an 'official' aleph doc/tutorial.
    They are unrehearsed and contain a number of mistakes in both terminology and programming :) which wouldn't be so good for someone just starting with the Aleph, bad habits etc etc.. . If I was planning proper tutorials I'd come up with a more progressive structure too I think,
    (these are a good example of tangents at least! plus I'm already learning better ways to do things that I demonstrated in the videos ... )

Maybe we just put them on the sharing page along with the community scenes?

And while we're on the learning subject.. can anyone explain to me how the 'fade' parameter works in Lines? @zebra mentioned it was a rate . .
    if i lower the value ( = faster rate? in what unit though?) I can hear more of a glitch/hard-cut when I jump around the buffer, but if it goes to 0 then the pos_read value seems to be ignored ? I'm stumped!!

• @duncan_speakman
    i would try to play with the preN param to achieve a fade (if i understand it right...)

• @beo the preN parameter is for how much of the buffer is kept when the rec head cycles around (i.e. so you can overdub or replace)
    the 'fadeN' parameter is some kind of crossfade when it is interpolating positions in the buffer, so you can smoothly jump to different sections.. (if you set it to a high value you get smooth transitions even if you are jumping to various points in the buffer)
    but I can't work out what units the value is set in or why when set to 0 the pos_readN parameter seems to stop working (this could of course be a bug)

• well, i'm confused now : preN value is in dB, and i don't see any fadeN param in the docs...
    i'll check directly on the aleph then :)

• (about the preN param, i get the replace/overdub possibilities. as the range value seems to be continuous (or is it 0 or 1 ?), i thought one could use it as a fade param)

• no, it's not in the docs :) it's right at the top of the parameter list.
    pre is in dB because it's the dB reduction of whatever was previously held in the buffer. So for example if it's set to -6db then on each loop around the volume of what was in the buffer is reduced by 6db on each cycle around (if you don't record anything new in you can hear it drop in volume on each pass around. does that make sense?
    There's a few parameters in Lines that aren't in the documentation, I would love to add to it but I'm not totally confident I get what how they work (e.g. mix slew vs. dry slew vs. wet slew? ) ... still exploring :)

• yes, it makes sense. thank you !

• I'd love to see a matrix mixer

4 audio in 4 audio out
    4 CV in 4 CV out (more what I am after the audio stuff could be very fun too though)
    perhaps 2 separate 4 x 4 sequencers
    all of this on a 8x8 grid

holding a button on the grid would allow an encoder to set the attenuation level for that connection

I can't wait to get an aleph

I'm not sure how much of that is possible

• its possible w/ lines @wed

• @wednesdayayayay That's already possible, The grid to encoder level might be something you'll have to set up in Bees.
    On the development github there was talk about a basic mixer setup like you described as a base patch to build off of. So it's something others want as well.

• the "mix" module is there in dev branch, aleph/modules/mix. but it doesn't do anything lines doesn't do. intended as a starting place for rolling your own DSP, not really as a useful thing in itself.

lines: there are still non-functional slew parameters. they should just be removed:
    mixSlew
    lowSlew
    highSlew
    bandSlew
    notchSlew

the other slew parameters work. (dry/wet affect the filter blend, nice possibilities for envelopes/tremolo with those.) each slew is an expoential integrator applied to the corresponding parameter. the displayed value is the theoretical time it takes for the realtime parmeter value to come within -40dB of the requested value (though it may converge perceptually long before that). explained this a bit more on the dsyn module page.

fade: well it is supposed to be that a lower value means a longer fade when changing pos_read, delay, or mul/div. a change sent while already fading will be ignored.

the "fade" unit is not very intuitive. it is the per-sample increment of a linear ramp from 0 to 0x7fffffff, but expressed in some arbitrariy radix (i think 12.4). looking at the code now, i don't think it can possibly be doing what i think it should be doing, something is off with the scale and all the fade times are quite short. but i think a value in the low 100's should be useful to suppress clicks as it is. will fix...

in any case, the linear fade is stupid in itself, and not implemented efficiently.

bottom line, i have a list of things to rework in lines, which will alter the parameter manifest and break scenes:
    - some closer attention to fade scale/curve/
    - prune unused params
    - add/fix timing/tuning params; long discussion here: https://github.com/tehn/aleph/issues/204

however, i'm sorry to say that some life emergency stuff has thrown a large wrench into my development time in the next week or 2. so if anything will be doing some small tweaks and fixes to the avr32 side (like, @gli, i will finally add the HID operator for shnth), maybe finish the avr32 app template. in other words, stuff i can do in small chunks of time without a bench full of hardware. also i want to be sure to have enough time available to convert scenes for people and follow bug reports or whatever, when i release lines 0.3.0

'lines' is the main tool that i really want on the aleph, so i'm invested in making it good. also making some variations with different tradeoffs, as discussed before.

• ugh yeah if you set fade=0 i guess it will just never move to the new target. that's dumb

in a slightly older version of lines, changes coming in during a fade were not ignored, but immediately applied, bypassing the fade and producing a click. kind of sounds like you are experiencing that. i thought this got changed back in lines-0.2.0 , but it's always possible i screwed up and didn't release the change, or just didn't test enough in the first place.

sorry, don't have aleph hardware in front of me to verify all this behavior, will do so when i can.

• ahh, that does make some kind of sense in my head now, thanks (i'm tempted to go back and re-make the pitchshifting tutorial video actually). I actually really like the option to get it to click, but I can't seem to get it to do it anymore so I think you did release the change. Being able to turn off the fade if required would be a really useful thing i think.
    Fundamentally though Lines is amazing even it's current stage!
    Hope your life emergency stuff gets sorted out well.

• there is a static variable called "fadeIgnore" near the top of lines.c , set to 0 and recompile if you want the old behavior

• wonderful vids!

posted a link on the bees doc and vids are all lined up here:

http://monome.org/docs/aleph:bees:video

feel free to edit and add more, one and all.

• thanks @tehn (and duncan)

@z hope all is well, life can be rough at times