FTDI/tty issue with 10.9.2

• Hey y'all,

I got a new Macbook Pro a couple months ago, running 10.9.2, and I've been unable to get my 256 or arc4 detected in monome_test or any other apps. Serialosc.maxpat loads fine, but the device list is always empty.

I've installed and uninstalled the FTDI drivers (both 2.2.16 and 2.2.18) and serialosc multiple times, disabled the built-in Apple FTDI driver, done all the magic spells for permissions, etc.

I see the monomes in system_profiler (output below) but I don't get any tty.usbserial* or cu.usbserial* devices in /dev.

Any ideas for more things to try or diagnostics to run? Thanks!

$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
    Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI
    PCI Device ID: 0x8c31
    PCI Revision ID: 0x0005
    PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Bus Number: 0x0a

monome:

Product ID: 0x6001
    Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
    Version: 6.00
    Serial Number: m0000580
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: monome
    Location ID: 0x14500000 / 10
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 90

monome:

Product ID: 0x6001
    Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
    Version: 6.00
    Serial Number: m0000664
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: monome
    Location ID: 0x14100000 / 7
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 90

• Noticed that the FTDI driver doesn't show up automatically in kextstat, I have to load it manually with kextload. Still no /dev/tty.usbserial* though.

• hrmm this is very strange. i've had success using the apple FTDI driver so perhaps uninstall the 'official' driver and reactivate the apple driver?

perhaps this is something different again though...?

• my current 10.9.2 install works, though it was an upgrade from 10.8. i'm about to do a clean install and will see if i encounter trouble-- though i'm expecting this really to just work.

serialosc definitely will not work if it can't see the /dev/tty entries. you may need to FTDI directly i'm sorry to say.

• Yep, definitely a FTDI problem, not a monome one. Pretty weird. This is the fourth Mac laptop/mini I've used in my monome career and the first time I've had any trouble.

After another uninstall/reinstall the FTDI extension is now loading automatically when I plug in a monome, but it's still not creating the serial port for some reason.

The Apple FTDI driver didn't work for me initially, but I just tried plugging a device into a different MacBookPro11,2 with 10.9.3, and the built-in driver created the /dev/tty.usbserial just fine. I will try and figure out what's special about my hardware. Thanks for the responses!

EDIT: I upgraded my laptop to 10.9.3, that didn't fix it.

The Apple FTDI driver has the same behavior as FTDI's driver on my laptop; plugging in monome causes the .kext to load, but no driver is created in /dev.

Resetting the PRAM/SMC seems to help Arduino and Beaglebone users with FTDI problems, but that didn't help me.

• Good news and bad news! I'm happy to say that doing a clean install of Yosemite fixed the problem.

Bad news is that I never figured out the cause. Did some IOKit USB debugging, looks like the driver was being loaded correctly but the device was being destroyed shortly after it initialized. Couldn't figure out why.

• btw, I have had the same experience in that there is no way of erasing serialosc from a system. or at least there are always leftovers of some sort..

@monome: is the hassle to uninstall in any way related with the above linked fix or not at all?
    thanks for the fix in the first place, lets hope it makes a reinstall unnecessary