what is Galapagoose's scene in that early Aleph video?

• looking back at that early Aleph video ( aleph prototype life modulator echo cutter - vimeo.com/77427234 ) I realise that @galapagoose is using some looper/recorder with a grid that doesn't seem to be based in Bees? (or maybe it is with some funky display options?)
    is this out there somewhere for us to use/try? pretty please
    thanks

• Yeah what the hell look at that screen. so cool with a little layout GUI.

• he is working with the LIFE object. Then I don't think we can get the sweet stuff he has on screen!

• @i_snor no, that's tehn with the Life object. I mean the other Aleph that is recording/looping the keyboard

• would be great to see "echo cutter" get released into the wild.

• yo that was the 'looper' (LPR?) that ezra was working on before bees was fully fleshed out. it uses the aleph-lines DSP program and is a very basic frontend to that processing. was actually the first time i'd ever got to play with the aleph!

the functionality can be entirely reproduced with bees now, and we're getting to extending the UI options in bees (sorry the modules have taken over for a minute!) so you can create similar things.

come to think of it, perhaps we should add some capacity to jump the playback in aleph-lines to a fraction of the loop size (ie. divide into 8 and use a GRID op to jump around the buffer)...

that's the problem with this box, there's just too many ideas to pursue!!

• "the modules"

hmmmmm...plural

• Yes - grid delay line jumping or something would be sweet.

• @galapagoose yup there are a lot of possibilities but at present there are still a lot of bugs and things that make simple stuff very difficult - e.g. using the grid to jump around 8 sections is really fiddly because the route8 operator doesn't have 8 outputs, grid interfacing is still a major cause of crashes/freezing and the time idiosyncrasies between Bees/Lines make any sort of controlled buffer slicing too random. Ive made a few loopers now but none of them are really what I would call `tight` (and the fact the clock in Bees is way off from reality doesn`t make this easy either.. see my thread about metro timing measurements)
    I'd love to start getting into coding for this thing but really haven`t got a clue where to start. In the original blurb for the Aleph it said that there would be tutorials documenting your own progress in learning C and building modules, is this still something that might happen?
    Don`t want to be down on this thing, i really do love it, it`s just that there was a lot promised on that Aleph product page so splashing out the $1400 seemed like a good investment, but a lot of it just hasn't materialised, and now the whitewhale is out all the support/forum stuff seems to have totally focused on that :(

• i don't think we'll be focussed on the modular-- we don't intend on updating features extensively, just adding the couple things we missed and fixing bugs. i expect modules shouldn't have more than a couple firmware updates total.

programming tutorials still coming, they have a good start.

like any bit of technology, the aleph is really good at some things and really bad at others. i know it's frustrating to try to wedge functionality onto the platform in difficult ways-- ie, build complex op networks instead of writing a new op.

we'll have the bugs worked out soon and a few more dsps and ops. i apologize for the slow going.

also i wouldn't question the investment, there are less than 100 units out there, and i there is sufficient demand for these to change hands without substantial value loss at the moment.

• oh, don't get me wrong.. i definitely don't what to sell it!! i do really love this thing (and the intention/work you have put in behind it) really i'm just being a bit impatient :)
    I guess one of the shames is that it doesn't seem (publically at least) that they've been purchased by people with any serious coding chops (myself included) so there isn't that much community development of modules/scenes etc that maybe you were hoping for.
    (I've been thinking about this in relation to the monome, I wasn't around when it first appeared so I don't have the experience of how long it took for the community to form and start building stuff for it :)

• @duncan_speakman you can still see the LPPR standalone code in the repository. it uses 32-bit addressing of time parameters and is thus inherently more accurate than using lines under bees. (in the current state of lines, that is.) custom app firmware (non-bees) would probably be a good way to go to make a looping app to your spec, assuming it is something you would use a lot. (because swapping firwmare is inherently less convenient than swapping scenes.)

i am getting back into aleph support a little this week. frankly i got burned out this year. would rather not do that again. template projects for standalones is top of my list and this includes basic standalone apps (looper, sequencer) as in the first released vids. these worked a long time ago but got broken as we crazily shuffled the avr32_lib functionality.

• glad to have you back @zebra !