Meadowphysics Eurorack Module

• Fyi Kelly just posted it on her Instagram, looks to have eight trigger outs (four cv and four trigger possible?) Guess I'll have to get one of these too even tho I'm still figuring out the white whale..thinking it'll be sweet to have my 128 and 64 plugged in at the same time tho

• ah, that's 8 trigger outs.

• full release info coming monday/tuesday depending on how the build continues.

• by release i mean, new video, shipped to retailers, ready to go.

• Yep sorry just noticed that. My bad. Looking forward to it Brian, really digging the white whale and your approach to integrating the grid into euro.
    I'm gonna need a much bigger case because of you guys.

• this is gonna be awesome

• i was concerned that MP would be a less exciting release given it exists on aleph/maxsp already, but really in the euro context it makes a lot of sense and is very fun. plus having some familiarity across platforms is great.

ww still coming for aleph. maybe a maxmsp version in time, trying to find time.

• Hi Tehn, congrats on this new release.
    Will the variable brightness on the monome be as critical as on the white whale?
    I have a variable brightness 128 and a non variable brightness 128.
    Thanks

• :/
    i'm still waiting my white whale to pass the custom clearance

• This looks very interesting. I was on vacation when Meadow Physics was released and still have to investigate this app! Loving the Euro builds...Hoping one of these makes full use of the 256!

• wow!
    so exciting/impressive!

instant question:
    are the 8 trigger outputs simple triggers, or are they gates (as in variable duration of high signal)?

• Intellijel-style announce-release strategy! Pro.

• here is that picture from instagram:

1271 x 1267 - 434K
  • dang, this keeps getting crazier! awesome!

• This one is very exciting!

I'm with c1t1zen - I'm hoping that it makes use of the full 256.

• oooh, siblings! :-)

860 x 573 - 64K
  • now i'm imagining that after another X monome modules are materialized..there is going to be a monome splitter apparatus (or module) that allows for simultaneous use of X monome modules at once via USB hubbery/interface switching system...all with one grid.

• but it only takes a second to replug the USB cable...
    i like making physical connections.

• I hope the people who're looking forward to this aren't expecting results similar to running it in max with teletype (audio or midi) as it's only triggers, its all gonna be reliant on your patching skills and the size of your modular system to make a decent evolving network (if you only have 3u you might want to invest in anothe row or two of modules)

• I guess you could use the triggers to clock different sequencers, possibilities open up then.

• away message - brian said in an interview that switching between different modules just my moving the USB chord work nicely. That seems like the idea.

• what if we wanted to access two modules apps at the same time on one grid (like a splitter)?

• Can't do it. How would the devices know which info to display on the grid or how will it know which of the two modules to affect. Just replug, that's exactly the mindset behind modular synthesis...or buy another grid. ;)

People have talked about a splitter USB device before on the white whale thread...it's more likely you could build something to switch connections, not run multiple module from one grid. I'm in agreement with Tehn, it's really just like using a patch cable just it's a USB this time.

• c1t1zen, away message - I'm in to it. I know that some won't like the idea, but it doesn't bother me to switch the cables over.

• i don't mind switching the USB cable like a patch cable.
    what i'm specifically contemplating, is that it's useful to have multiple applications on the same grid at once--perhaps a drum sequencer and polygomé to reference a computer setup. if monome modules were to keep appearing in the future, it would be nifty to have the ability to couple and arrange applications on larger grids so that aspects of multiple modules can be operated on in unison. alas..i'm seeing limits and letting my mind wander!

• i don't know if anyone who has spent a lot of time on a modular synth will mind switching usb cables. that's kind of the fun of modular, "oh shit this sounds awesome! let me add this….*moment of silence*….EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!"

• @away I was thinking for a second you might be thinking of like two 128 apps split to 256. That would be cool. Some sorta USB Splitter/offset app.

• one thing to remember-- when you hot-swap the usb cable, the module keeps running, so unlike what @active said, the sound doesn't stop.

it's also very very satisfying to have a non-abstract app switching scheme-- the cable dictates what you see and interact with.

• @tehn curious about the trigger duration in this module: is it fixed or variable?

• fixed to 50% clock duty presently. would be interested in proposals.

• @tehn I have never used MeadowPhysics so am not exactly sure what goes on, but just like with White Whale, I think a user settable gate duration (vs. fixed trigger %50) would exponentially enhance the usability/applications of the module.

• what's the advantage of gates instead of triggers?

• maye an option that flips the way each step is handled - like an option to keep the gate signal high until the next trigger is reached?

• @oootini some modules only respond to gate pulses (which have a longer duration than that of a trigger)

• understood. can you name a few modules?

• envelopes can follow gate signals I suppose. that's the main thing you'd be doing here right?

• a140 for example.

• quadra in asr mode...

• yes-- i understand gates for use with ASR, but i'm curious if there are edge-triggered modules that simply don't work due to a short width.

am considering the best way to approach fixed-length gate triggers in terms of interface.

• doepfer a150 switches on the rising edge and again the falling edge of a gate pulse.

• I'm sure there's a few modules that use gates, I have a bunch of non-modular gear that uses them. I know on some of my vintage gear the triggers help to be a specific length. I'm still learning all that with the Silent Way plugins.

• @tehn, most modules i have come across are edge triggered at around 2.5v and you can use nearly any waveform. there are only a few sequencers and function generators that have problems with squares not staying "high" long enough.

• The reasons why I am suggesting gates as alternative/option to triggers in both modules are few:

1. As has been already mentioned this would give us ability to control envelopes on multiple modules. This alone is worth it as far as I amconcerned.
    2. Another use for gates that I find constantly utilizing is to control switches (like Doepfer a150, a151, a152 etc.) which often play important function either in alternating other trigger patterns, or CV signals. So, important in shaping more complex trigger or CV streams.
    3. When using modules like LowGain Shortbus or Xaoc BYTOM I often mix CV multiple signals, modulations, triggers AND gates to create complex, evolving sequences or control signals. Gates with varied durations are super useful in that situation.
    4. I often use gates as incoming CV in VCAs.
    5. And finally, and this is pretty important: if gates are implemented in either White Whale or Meadowphysics, or both, it would give us an opportunity to construct gate patterns that that are not constrained to any regular time intervals, but rather specifically placed in compositional structures. When using gate outputting modules like 4MS RCD or even square wave from LFOs etc. we are always looking at steady pattern. Gates laid out within the sequences that can be manually controlled, etc. would open new organic possibilities to all uses listed above.

Just saw the note that gates will be implemented in the next WW update, and am super excited about that. But wanted to contribute to this conversation, and perhaps help the case for gates option in Meadowphysics as well.

• @laborcamp i totally see your point. looking forward to the update too, thx for your suggestions! my a-152 gets switched nicely from ww though. lots of fun :)

• I thought the 50% clock duty for a trigger sounded just fine, but then I tried an experiment with what I call filter pings -- not sure what they're really called -- sending an impulse into a filter. The White Whale trigger acts as two impulses, sounds like, on rise and again on fall, which sounds neat, but it would also be neat to be able to send a momentary impulse. Does that make sense? In any case, +1 for being able to change trigger duration.

• @bens which filter were you using for this patch and how was it patched up?

• I was using two, a Manhattan Analog SVVCF and a Doepfer A-124 Wasp. I connected trigger outs one and two from the White Whale to the respective filter inputs, set the frequency and resonance of each filter near the middle range. Then lowpass out from each filter to a mixer and then to a PA -- I get two "pings" per trigger.

What I have in mind is something I learned in the Coursera course on ChucK -- here's some code. The main point is that I'm trying to emulate the chain in the first line.

Impulse imp => ResonZ filt => Pan2 p => dac;

20.0 => imp.gain;
    1.0 => filt.gain;
    50 => filt.Q;
    -0.3 => p.pan;

// Bb Aeolian
    [46, 48, 49, 51, 53, 54, 56, 58] @=> int scale[];

// main compositional pulse
    0.625 => float pulse;

// loop for 64 eighth-pulses, fire a filtered impulse ping
    // on some of them, randomizing filter frequency
    for ( 0 => int i ; i < 64 ; i++ ) {
    if (Math.random2(0,6) < 2) {
    Std.mtof(scale[Math.random2(0,scale.cap()-1)])*3 => filt.freq;
    1.0 => imp.next;
    }
    (pulse / 8)::second => now;
    }

• (By the way, I get one ping when I use Maths to generate an impulse with near-zero duration.)

• @bens check out this thread: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29508

and this post from Navs: http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.ca/2011/02/162-trigger-delay-modification.html

Sounds like 0.2-2ms is the recommended trigger length for pinging filters if you want to avoid double triggering. You could use Maths to convert gates to shorter triggers. I'm also keeping an eye on this: http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=559 but not sure what trigger length it will produce.

I also seem to recall that WW will use the incoming clock length for triggers when clocked externally but can't find it at the moment... If it's true you could just clock it with Maths as another option to get shorter triggers.