Another White Whale track

• This is a quick patch I did today. The big detuned sawtooth sequence that comes to prominence at 2:45 and on (a Synth Tech Cloud Generator) is getting pitch from the White Whale. The simple 'kick' and 'snr' (DPO and Cyclebox II) are getting trigger from WW as well.

https://soundcloud.com/dudadius/digitasler

I'm getting comfortable enough with it now that it feels like an instrument. Really great!

I'm doing a performance as part of my lab for Chicago Ideas Week, and the White Whale is going to be the centerpiece/brains of the main patch I do.

https://www.chicagoideas.com/events/366

• Thanks!

Yes...I think you're hearing the quality of the Makenoise Mysteron. It's a wavetable synth of sorts, and creates an edgier, fm type quality.

But the bass and the detuned sawtooth, as mentioned above, are from from classic analog sources (Macbeth and Synthtech Cloud Gen respectively).

The 'hi-hat' type pattern, which starts the track, is from a wave-folded and filtered Intellijel Rubicon, so that also has an fm-digital type quality to it, even though it's coming from an analog source.

• This is badass!

• @dudadius - really nice, distinct sounds in this one!

interesting little tidbit..you said: "But the bass and the detuned sawtooth, as mentioned above, are from from classic analog sources (Macbeth and Synthtech Cloud Gen respectively)."

The e340 Cloud Generator (I used to own one and loved it) actually uses 16 digital oscillators! So in terms of a sound source, it is in fact code running from a CPU.

In case your interested in a little more info and words from the module's creator: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10322&view=next&sid=d01b5af8396beea3ed3e9f9813f86067

• thanks for sharing

excellent excellent track
    [and hope the perfomance turns out well!]

• This sounds great! Has a real multi-timbrality///thickness that tends to be lacking in a lot of modular music. Are you multitracking or was this all performed live?

• awesome @dudadius i've only had about 2 hours with mine so far as i've been really busy the last week but i'll be spamming the forums with recordings soon!! can't wait for the meadowphysics module too!!

• "a real multi-timbrality///thickness that tends to be lacking in a lot of modular music"

+1

there's depth, grit, and texture all over this piece
    really nice stuff

• Thanks guys, yea, it was one big patch (pictured along with the track on Soundcloud), just mixing stuff in and out with the Inteillijel Dubmix. Laid down as one take. All fx in the modular as well.

@emergencyofstate as I wrote the 'analog sources' bit, I knew someone would call me out on that! Ha! But I figured, it may be digital, but what could sound more old-school-analogy than a swarm of variably detuned saws?!? Thanks for the note though and yes, the Cloud Gen is a peach...digital or analog, bi or straight. :)

• i prefer my capes peach.