Aleph Vs Eurorack Modules (White Whale ect..)

• Just wondering, and thought I would ask the masses / tehn / kelli.

With the eurorack modules released recently, as well as the upcoming ones. Are there any features of the modules that the Aleph cannot replicate? Would there be any reason for a prospective buyer (besides physical interface / stability) to buy any of the modules if they already have an Aleph?

Cheers

• In short the modules have more outputs and the aleph can be a Synth or effect while also generating cv

• fundamentally the aleph is for those who want to have highly flexible structures and be able to reconfigure their setup over time – also with audio i/o capability.

the euro modules are designed for those who want a specific functionality, zero setup time, and a plug and play environment.

i think they're quite different beasts and while they both support attaching grids and cv in/out, the audiences seem quite different to me.

• zero set up, plug and play - yup.

• i personally have been using the aleph more for audio related duties than CV, you'd be hard pressed to find any modules that have as much dsp processing power as that little white box!!

• it's hard to describe, but having monome in a modular context is really, really nice. no serialosc, no max, no OS, no nothing except cv and gates to stack on top of whatever you already have in the case.

white whale is kind of a simple sequencer but if you mix those note cvs with other simple note cvs you can get to some pretty cool places really quickly.

• currently grid-less and currently building lots of simple quirky cv sequencers for the aleph, so there's that: it doesn't necessarily require a grid

• but that doesn't really answer the original question. i guess the real reason to get the modules is to not have to worry about mucking around with bees

• well, one answer to OP's question is yes, the modules have functionality that the aleph cannot directly replicate, simply by virtue of more CV jacks.

another answer is: no, not really, the aleph can perform all the same logical tasks. but necessarily limited to 4 ins and 4 outs. using BEES the timing resolution will also be limited.

but you don't have to use bees; the module's code is open-source, and the framework is similar, so they are easy to port to standalone aleph applications.

of course the modules still have the big benefits of cost and convenience.