white whale 1.2 update

• http://monome.org/docs/modular:update

there's a "flash.command" file which means point-click update.

i'm working to update the docs now, but in short:

gate mode
    mutes
    fixes

hooray!

• Good lord! Thx tehn!! (Note to myself: stop checking monome.org before going to sleep)

• updated the docs: http://monome.org/docs/modular:whitewhale

in short:

key next to alt is now called "meta"

live trigger recording moved to alt + lower trigger rows
    trigger choice is meta + lower trigger rows

hold meta for mutes (visualized) and toggle individual triggers in top row and cv channels.

mutes saved with presets, and gracefully visualized across the app.

toggle GATE mode by holding alt and tapping top row trigger section. there is no visual indication.

fixed a bunch of things. crash bug with random/drunk with wrapped loop points. etc.

series mode works smartly now when a pattern is something other than forward. reverse does what you'd expect, drunk/random do their thing for a number of counts given by loop length.

pattern cue (alt+pattern) works better, starting at the loop start point of the next pattern.

all in all, this update makes everything work more sensibly and intuitively.

ok, let me know what i can clarify.

• phew good work!

• wow! this is perfect! thank you so much.

• Super excited for all the changes/improvements!
    Eager to update, except I need to get that special USB cable first :-)

• that was quick !

• yes, the usb a-a is a pretty weird cable, but it beats buying a $400 JTAG programmer

• Great news, trying this today !

• Awesome awesome awesome, all the things I wanted and more. This will make the White Whale super usefull. Thanks Tehn!

• very easy update.

playhead led animation looks smarter too i think. at least it does for my 64 anyway.

• all the yeas!

• just updated and seems to be working great, lots of fun, thanks again @tehn!

• Damn, I am still waiting for the cable shipment!!! :-( / :-)

• i went to a sketchy computer store and got a cable for 10 bucks. that's after i got some crazy 40 dollar beast from radioshack and it didn't work. bah!

• Cable arrived.
    Made successful update.
    Yey!
    Now to explore the new features... :-)

• Is this possible on Windows?

• yes. short version:

1. install dfu-programmer
    2. download firmware, unzip
    3. open a command line, go to firmware folder
    4. paste:

dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 erase
    dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 flash whitewhale.hex --suppress-bootloader-mem
    dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 start

• any comments on this new functionality?

• barely had time for any music stuff the last while. I updated and checked that it worked but that's it. soon play.

• i'm having update troubles. downloaded DFU and pasted the brew command into terminal, and that looked successful. when I pasted the install dfu comman,, however, it says command not found.

never mind...wasn't paying attention...think i got it!

• I think the update is fantastic!
    Thank you for listening to the comments/feedback and making this work so quickly.
    Love the gate feature! Combined with the trigger orgy delivered by the Meadowphysics, WW is now providing the streams of gates and CV modulations.
    Especially enjoying unpredictable (yet somehow controllable) gate durations with the drunk mode! :-)

A question to @tehn
    So, the feature set of the WW is locked for forseable future, correct?
    I think you mentioned something to that extent.

• drunk mode gates, that is a good idea. wow.

feature set isn't "locked" but i'm stretched very thin, and i feel the instrument delivers a ton of functionality. i'll consider changes if they're practical. i'm also open to commissions for custom firmwares.

• It does indeed deliver! :-)

I asked because I am aware of the feature creep factor, and did not want to ente that territory.

• Still need to order the cable. :(

• I didn't have a lot of time to play this week.. But the channel mutes is a feature I'm specially happy about, thanks tehn for the quick implementation! Can't wait to check out all the other features, I didn't even came across all from the first release yet ^^

• gate mode and mute mode! yay! especially for the latter... was hunting for that before, assuming it was a pattern I just missed.

• i only had a chance to play with channel mutes and that was fun. i plan on diving in a lot this up coming week, assuming a few projects don't suck up all my time like they did last week =o(

• this is kind of a minor quibble and something that you can solve by having an external clock to sync the white whale - but i'd like to be able to stop the clock on the whale itself when not being clocked externally. either via the grid, or some other means - clock stop by a grid button on the preset page maybe?

• also, and slightly unrelated - does PPQN come into play with the WW inside the rack?

I have a pamela's workout clock module that you can set the PPQN for midi/din sync. to slave the pam to the WW clock output, i just set the PPQN to 1 on the pam, correct? the WW is just putting out a square wave clock yes? is there a 50% duty cycle on the WW clock? does that even matter?

• @oootini you can stop the WW (and MP) clock by plugging in an unconnected cable into the clock input... works like a charm.

• ah. very good. that will do...

• @oootini
    i'm not sure what pam needs but yes the WW just outputs a squarewave 50% duty cycle at the master clock rate (so you get 2 edges per clock).

and laborcamp is right about stopping the internal clock with a jack in the clock-input. was pretty happy when we came up with that circuit- small victories! if you're using gate mode you can also effectively freeze the playback by setting the playback range to a single step – this way the clock continues running if you're clocking other things with it.

• Besides putting in an unplugged jack into the clock input to stop it. I noticed with the ES3 that you can stop the clock with a negative voltage.

Anyone have an idea where to pick up USB cable with the same ends for this update in Los Angeles?

• @c1tizen What's the settings you used to trigger the clock in the WW?

I had a go last night and the WW seemed to be running at a ridiculous speed or not at all ?

I'm very new to modular and perhaps not outputting clock from the es3 correctly

cheers
    s

• you shouldn't need a negative voltage into the clock input to stop it (that'll just draw unnecessary current to ground). basically any static voltage should stop the clock, and anything under about 2V should make sure to hold the clock output in the LOW state.

also note that you can clock the WW from a VCO or LFO as well right up to the point where the led redraw can't keep up (>60hz).

• I had setup the SW sync plugin running at 8 ppqn. I did need to lower the clock low a little to stop it. Worked really well. Working on CV into an 808 bassdrum circuit.

1936 x 1936 - 1009K
  • @citizen thanks for the info about sw sync.

Have the WW clocked and triggering my 101. sounding sweet as a nut!!

need to update my midi setup from es5 with the 101 and i'm rocking

loving this combination and must go to post office to get my MP :)

s

• Hey what a great way to get back into the monome flow. I have a few questions after watching all the vimeo tutotials;
    1. would a gs64 (non varibright) be able to take advantage of all the features in white whale? I saw tehn plug one in at one point and he had it working but in the tutorials there are quite a few features over on the rhs of a 128?
    2. If everything would work how much would my monome draw (I saw up to 600ma on the description but I guess a 64 would draw significantly less (I think I have under 400 to spare)
    3. @tehn are they still available (and they look amazing btw, great work)
    4. using the param knob in the videos gave you quantised pitches, is this a knob with indentations or is the white whale quantising? can you get unquantised stuff out of it?
    5. How fast a clock can WW accept before it goes nuts? Im thinking it could also be used as a nice complex lfo

Sorry for all the questions but this thing looks like the perfect escape from my ageing and very buggy computer.

Cheers
    HN

• 1. You have less steps, seems almost everything else is the same on 64 vs 128. It's amazing on 128.
    2. Yes less than 600mAs but the issue is more about LED whine on the power rails, I'm not sure I even hear it myself. Can someone post the sound?
    3. Check with the modular retailers listed, I think Control Voltage might still have some.
    4. No indented knobs, CV A and B are quantized to semitones, the param knob moves at several semitones a step then you can go into scales mode and get the exact pitch desired.
    4. It goes really fast, I use the CVs for LFO duties all the time, If the quatization is a problem run it threw a slew before the LFO.

• Thanks for the reply. How much feedback has there been on that whine? I get that sometimes with synths plugged into my old mac cinema display usb ports, unless it's really quiet it's not the kind of thing you could ignore. I realise I'd take the hit on less steps (damn it I've always wanted a 128) but I saw that some saving menus, and others which I can't exactly remember without watching all the videos again, use the right half of a 128, I was just wondering how a 64 would get around that? If I was using a white whale I'd like to be able to take advantage of all its really well thought out features. Good news about those LFO's. Thanks

• indeed 64 is capable of every feature of the 128 version though only 8 steps. of course there is 'series' mode where you can link multiple patterns together sequentially for long patterns. the 64 version doesn't have the glyph for program memory, but there's only 8 slots so finding the right one shouldn't be too hard without it.

the high frequency whine is highly dependent on the supply, but also directly related to current draw. i believe a GS64 pulls about 200mA with every light fully lit (a situation that never occurs with the whale) so it's probably averaging around 100mA on the grid, plus another 50mA odd for the actual module itself. i'd guess whine will be very quiet if audible at all. perhaps it's only an issue with switchmode 5v adaptors (like makenoise / mutable 5v plugs)??

the modules should be in stock at all of the retailers and if not we've got built units in stock waiting for re-orders from them.

• Maybe it is certain PSUs, I have the TipTop setup inside a GorillaCage and I haven't noticed any LED bleed. I'd love to see some spectrographs of the issue.

• Thanks everyone. Good to be back on the monome forum, feels like home.

• hi win users,
    i'm getting a libusb0.dll missing error,
    does anybody knows what i can do?

thanks

• @pauk i believe there is a binary here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dfu-programmer/files/dfu-programmer/0.7.0/

so you don't need to compile it

• hi tehn, yep, this is the one i've tried :/

• Hi, back again. I'm new to modular and am trying to sort out a few fundamentals with a view to getting a white whale. I'm building my own case and have been looking at the make noise power bus kit (not the mini or the DIN?, I think), It's quite hard to get info on all this stuff in the UK. I see that it has 1.4 amps +12v regulated, 1 amp -12 regulated and 250ma +5v regulated but now I'm trying to figure out whether that upper most 200mA for my gs64 comes from the +5v or the +12v, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't really know why modules draw from different voltages. I definitely want to avoid the whine if I can. Galapagoose mentioned makenoise switchmode 5v adaptors but does this just mean their mini power supply. I see that tehn uses the 4ms 40 Watt row power. Would I be better off with 2 of these daisy chained for 6u? I can't figure out what adaptor to get for UK 240v. Sorry again for all the noob questions (it is fun finding out about this modular stuff though) and thanks again for the help. I'd still rather ask here than get my ass kicked on another forum.

• ok, done, for some reason it seems that the module wasn't launching the bootloader and not giving me the option to install the driver for it :/
    everything working now!

• @HateNames:
    in short, you have ±12v rails for analog, and a +5v rail for digital things. by keeping these separate it's easier to keep digital noise out of your audio signal. the monome grid will draw it's power from the 5v rail as it's a digital device.

i'm sorry i don't have more experience using the thing with different systems to be able to recommend a supply. i know tehn uses the 4ms power most of the time, and only uses the ext5v adaptor when recording – this is to remove any high frequency noise despite the level being almost unnoticeable in normal use.