blackfin dev toolchain

• hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a dev toolchain for Aleph on OSX (10.10) and am encountering some errors with the blackfin portion.
    AVR setup went relatively smoothly and I've been able to make bees, but I keep getting this error when trying to make lines or waves.
    I've tried many different versions of the ADI GNU toolchain for both i386 and x86_64, but the same error keeps occurring:

bfin-elf-gcc -Wall -mcpu=bf533 -I../../bfin_lib/src/ -I../../bfin_lib/src//libfixmath -I../../bfin_lib//../common -I../../bfin_lib//../dsp -I./ -03 -D ARCH_BFIN=1 -I../../bfin_lib/src/ -I../../bfin_lib/src//libfixmath -I../../bfin_lib//../common -I../../bfin_lib//../dsp -I./ -c \
    -D MAJ=0 -D MIN=4 -D REV=2 \
    ../../bfin_lib/src/control.c \
    -o ../../bfin_lib/obj/control.o
    /opt/uClinux/bfin-elf/bin/bfin-elf-gcc: /opt/uClinux/bfin-elf/bin/bfin-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary file
    make: *** [../../bfin_lib/obj/control.o] Error 126

any help would be great, thanks
    N

• blackfin dev chain only works in linux as far as i know.

if you can get it to work, i'd be very curious to hear how.

• ah, thanks B. that clears things up a bit.
    so on a Mac, in terms of Aleph development we can't mess with or create new DSP building blocks, ie modules but we can create apps, which are somewhat like patches combining these modules? Or is the best bet working on extending Bees if one wanted to get one's hands dirty?

• avr32 dev chain works, so you can hack bees, add operators, etc.

i'm working on an operator how-to that will be done by the end of the month.

trent is working on the dsp how-to, same time scale, will be in linux however. it's possible to do this with a virtual machine.

• indeed the dsp how-to is in linux, though i've been exclusively running it inside a virtual machine on a mac so you'll be fine to develop on your system.

• excellent, really looking forward to the how-to docs, guys.
    seems like VM is the ticket for blackfin then. are you using something like VirtualBox?

• indeed we're using VirtualBox. there's a great guide & vagrant machine here if you're itching to get to it: https://github.com/bensteinberg/aleph-development

• if you can figure out the dependencies for the buildscript you could theoretically build the bfin toolchain on a mac. you'd be pretty much on your own though.
    http://blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=toolchain:buildscript