More euro modules with monome support

• I believe this hasn't been posted here, yet. These are exciting times for monome & eurorack users. nw2s is another company that has support for the monome with one of their existing modules, the nw2s::b, in the works. That module is a programmable arduino host with tons of I/o.
    More info on the state of monome support for that module here: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122156&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

• I'm also working on something that could easily support grids. I would say arcs too, but we haven't got one!

• this unit is super exciting, not to mention that it can i2c, a future in working connected with an aleph anyone???

• sam, looking forward to what you're up to!

• Arc! yes, please!

• Yeah.... scott from nw2s actually was the one who just bought my GS64 and he specifically said he wanted to test his code on an official series monome. So expect to see great things there soon.

• Thanks guys for the kind words and mention here. Also thanks to MCD for a good deal on the GS64. Just got the kinks worked out of the 'series' serial protocol (turns out its easiest to just refresh the whole panel every time). I'd like to add GS128 and GS256 support if anyone has one (and a 'b) and wants to help me debug.

Got it working with my simple trigger sequencer and will have a couple more (or two and a half) sequencers that are in the pipeline and some more video coming soon. (Plus should have a VB256 coming in the very near future, thanks to the OP)

I do have to say that I agree with dude@muff that the monome is a nice piece of equipment. Feels much better than the trellis grid.

s

• Very basic 2-voice sequencer running on the nw2s::b with the monome GS64 as controller. It was 2AM, so bear with it... Eagerly awating the VB256 for some deeper interaction, but I have some ideas that will help the 64 be a little more exciting too.

• Another nw2s::b app - otogrid, 4-voice generative sequencer based on the earslap otomata

• I can confirm that the latest code works with VB grids! And looks like the ::b allows unplugging and replugging the grid like the WW does, so you'll be able to switch your grid between the nw2s::b and the Monome modules.

Also, I'm using the ext5v to power the grid, and I didn't have any issues when using it with the ::b.

• wow so much awesome

• yeah, really great!

• working on an implementation of Conway's Game of Life, started a thread on it here: http://monome.org/community/discussion/18139/new-nw2sb-app-conways-game-of-life

• If no one is following the game of life development for the monome/b combo, you should! Mr. Darkly is really kicking ass on this one. 16 analog outs, 16 digital outs, and 17 CV controlled parameters? This is kinda insane.

• ha ha, thanks Scott, it is pretty insane indeed especially when you start modulating the Game of Life with itself :-) I can't take full credit though, it's the ::b framework itself that makes it easy writing code that integrates CVs.

grid and the ::b is such a powerful combo.

• This is all very exciting!
    I am curious if some form of Arc implementation could happen with this module?

• It's possible, however, there's no hub support at the moment, so it would be either one or the other right now. I do have a potential solution in the works, but it's still early...

• Update - I've added support for arc, here is a quick and dirty demo:

Basically a binary sequencer where each ring is divided into 2/4/8/16/32 zones. Voltage goes high when the indicator is within the "on" zone. You can turn the encoders clockwise to step through different voltage levels, and turning it CCW changes the number of zones. There is a main CV out which is a sum of all the voltages, and gates/triggers for each ring. You can also control the phase offset of each ring with CV.

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need a need a new case

that is NASTY

• any chance of odd divisions or is that already possible by combining these somehow?

• oh yeah, it's very easy to change divisions to whatever (just one line of code, could even maybe put it under CV control), but with the current implementation each sequence is 64 steps long regardless, so dividing by something other than 2/4/8/16/32 will mean the last zone will be shorter, so essentially it resets after 64 steps.

could probably make it not reset (or better yet reset with an external trigger) but then I would have to think of a better visual representation using 64 leds. maybe only display 3/4 of the whole ring and redraw it as it moves, kinda like a radar.

• I've told him he's making me look bad before. This is great!

I have the same issue with a probabilistic Euclidean sequencer I built for the 'b and monome. It's very difficult to represent odd divisions... do you let it rotate, changing the display as the beats intersect, or do you set it up to drop the remainder at the end of the sequence?

• Ok, this looks super exciting!

• So, forgive me if this is a silly question, but I don't see the USB port on the front panel... how do you connect the grid/arc to the module?

• It uses the native USB on the Due which powers the 'b. You have to run it out the back or through a gap in your rack.

• So, hot-swapping between this and monome modules is pretty much not feasible...

• Depends on how you set it up. I have an OTG adapter that connects to a USB extension cable, effectively giving me a USB A female connector on a cable. I don't swap between multiple hosts, but do swap between a 64, 128 (adafruit), and 256, plus a playstation controller.

• That's for switching interfaces, but how would you handle switching the modules?

• It's the same... You'd unplug the monome from the USB extension cable (disconnecting it from the 'b) and plug it into the white whale or whichever module you wanted to attach it to. If I'm understanding.

s

• I see, so you would need an extension, and a cable coming out of a crack between the modules. but why no USB port on the front panel? It's so big anyway...

• USB device support is actually just a small part of what the module can do, so as far as I know it wasn't even designed with that in mind but yeah, I do hope there will be an expansion for the USB ports at some point ;-)

• It is so big - I didn't want it to be any bigger for sure. I also had not planned on hosting USB when I built it. Certainly something that I will try to remedy in the future... whenever that may be.

s

• Thanks for humoring me along with all the questions! :-)
    As far as I know this is the first module that actually allows the arc to interface with euro, so this is a huge draw for me. It certainly has my attention!

• very nice indeed. now I want a nw2s. and an arc.

also love the sounds!

lol @youtube for hiding the vid because I was in safe mode (GAS mode?)

• ha! I should probably specify in the video settings it's safe for any age :-)

• FYI - the manuals on installing and using the Game of Life and Binary Arc can be now found here: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/b-docs