Monome & Octatrack

• I use my monome mainly with mlrv and mark eats sequencer. Will it become obsolete if I buy the Octatrack?
    Not enough money for both, eventually I'll have to sell monome+arc...

• @Edison uses both - maybe ask him about the different workflows?

• I have had the Octatrack; and have had multiple types of monomes. I've kept a monome but sold the octatrack.

The octatrack is a very deep and fun machine for making music from samples. It's more plug-and-play than the monome and easier to make a track on. 'Ableton in a box' is not a bad description of it. It doesn't require turning on the laptop and you can't check your email in it.

The monome is a quirky, minimal thing of beauty that is confounding, open ended, and which goes in a different direction every time I play with it. It rarely turns out a piece of music but it often brings a smile.

The octatrack will absorb a lot of your attention and thought. I sold it because I thought I should focus on learning ableton and max instead of the octatrack.

None of that answers your question directly.

• Thanks @declutter. I'll try to save some money to keep both.
    If someone has an Octatrack at a bargain price I'm here :-)

• what! im sitting here programming my octatrack right now!
    haha

they are both pretty deep....
    i'd have to say that i never had much fun until recently, pairing the octatrack with other gear...
    but, the octatrack is like that...
    one minute its frustrating and useless... the next its genius and insane...
    it can do SO MANY different things.....
    its not going to render your monome obsolete at all...
    elektron boxes are sequencers first and foremost...
    not half as fun live as a monome....

ive started a live looping project...
    and the octatrack is used as an efx box, pre looper...
    its not sequencing anything or sampling.... but its still so powerful....
    i think running the output audio of mark eats into a midi slaved octatrack would be incredible!
    you could make noise for hours on end...
    bottom line.... save up.... get both..... and read and learn and read and learn....
    its worth it..!