Music theory pursuits: Building interactive tori with max / interaction with transformational theory

• I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post in the monome community, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm writing a thesis on neo-reimannian theory, specifically looking at "pop" music of the last ten or so years which eschews standard tonality. I'm brainstorming different exercises in transformational theory, and I thought it would be really cool to be able to build any sort of torus structures, or even just layered circles with notes on them, to try out different ideas with. Essentially, I'd like to be able to build something in Max, and be able to manipulate it to and say something like "oh, so here are the modes of limited transposition available in this area". the ideal would be finding a new sort of transformational pattern that I could put into my thesis, but that's a long shot.

anyone here have any ideas for what direction to go into? anyone know of anything similar already out there?

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

any help or any discussion at all would be hugely appreciated!