Patreon

• Dear Community full of people I respect.

Does anyone have any experience with Patreon?

Any views you'd like to share?

• Are you considering starting to use it to pay people or to be paid? What do you have in mind? I imagine it's very different case-by-case, but in general, I just don't like it.

If you're looking to make music, just make the music, package it up, and release it either with a label or just by yourself on bandcamp or whatever. I appreciate the curation and thought that (hopefully) goes into that process. Also, I like to pick and choose as opposed to just pledging to pay for whatever the output will be.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of kickstarter-style crowd-funding either. I work for and with some companies who do use it, and I've supported a very small number projects, but by and large I really stay away, especially if there isn't a strong reputation behind whoever's asking for money. It's different for me if Thud Rumble or KMI are trying to make a niche thing happen (like 7" scratch records as opposed to the more typical 12", or a companion product to QuNeo that makes it wireless) as those are real businesses with real business people involved and very good people (I guess it helps if I've actually met them) working very hard on a good product.

Here are some aspects of crowd-funding culture that really bother me:

Anything that make the recipient come across as entitled. (e.g. at $10,000, I'll be able to spend five grand of that on new studio monitors! BTW, this is a real example, one from a real person, someone I used to look up to as a child, and I am 99% sure it's against the rules of kickstarter.)

Trinkets that are not the thing for which the money is being raised. I'm sure that there are good exceptions (e.g. I have multiple t-shirts from a synth company, most of which were free but some of which I did pay for because when I do find myself wearing just a t-shirt, I might as well rep the scene) but WOW do I not want a keychain, beanie (not going to wear it), flip flops (you've got to be kidding me), etc, when I'd just like to support the artist and get their album on vinyl or whatever.

Everyone pan-handling one another to death, or students expecting ONE ANOTHER to pay for their various school projects.

It goes on and on, but ultimately it just comes down to a case-by-case thing. What are you working on?

• Patreon seems okay, but you have to imagine only 10%-30% of your existing fan base is going to sign up and then you have spend the time making things for them instead of all of your fan base. Seems to work well for cartoonists/illustrators etc... not sure about music and especially music with a small audience

• Um I don't really know. I guess I just want to engage more with my (very few) listeners.