White Whale - Complete function list? Here's a start!

• In effort to grasp WW, I have documented all features from the tutorial videos. I've reorganized it as simply as possible and added some information to help makes things a little more clear to me. This is not meant to replace the videos, there is nothing better than seeing these functions in action. Its more of a fast way to jog your memory.

If there are any functions or features you have discovered, please add them here.

==============================
    ==WhiteWhale feature list 11/25/2014
    ==Not including 1.2 updates ...yet.
    ==============================

Trigger mode (Row1):
    - Enter mode - select 1st section on Row1.
    - Set triggers - touch bottom 4 Row Steps. (trigger channel 4 is on the bottom Row then 3-2-1 going up).
    - Trigger Choice mode - Alt + Step to activate/deactivate choice mode for that step. (details below)
    - Example - Triggers are active on step 3 for trigger channels 1/2/4. Pressing Alt + a Step3 trigger, will choose to randomly play 1 trigger on that step (1,2 or 4)

CVa / CVb mode (Row1):
    - Enter mode - select 2nd (CVa) or 3rd (CVb) section on Row1.
    - Set CV values - hold bottom Row Step and twist param knob.

- Step value change - on a step with a CV value entered, steps in rows above that step (row5/6/7) will modifiy its vale (detailed below).
    - Up - Row5, add semitone to value, hold Alt + Row5 for octave up.
    - Mod - Row6, to fine tune hold Row6 + Row3 or Row6 + Row4.
    - Down - Row7, subtract semitone value (hold Alt + Row7 for octave down).
    - Copy value - press the Steps Mod key (Row6).
    - Paste value - Alt + a steps Mod key (Row6).
    - Random value - Mod + steps bottom row (Row6 + Row9).

- CV Step choice mode - (see Step mute Row4 section below).

CV map mode - Alt + CVa/b mode to activate/deactivate (A 16 value scale is in place, each step is assigned one of these values).
    - Load new scale - hold Alt + bottom left Step, then choose from the box, cancel with bottom right step.
    - Select step to Edit - Row5.

- Non destructive note edit (play within scale):
    - Edit/Display step scale index - press a step in Row8 to change the scale index for the current step, (lowest note on left, highest on right) it will stay highlighted.
    - Rough value display (and edit) - Row6.
    - Fine value display (and edit) - Row7.

- Destructive note edit (will modify scale values of individual notes/indexes or the entire scale):
    - Edit scale index value - Row6 and Row7 for Up/Down, Step1 = Octave, Step2 = 5th, Step3 = semitone, Step4 = fineTune.
    - Edit scale index value with knob value - hold Alt + bottom right step, and twist param knob.
    - Transpose scale - Alt + Row6 and Row7 or Up/Down, Step1 = Octave, Step2 = 5th, Step3 = semitone, Step4 = fineTune.

- Multi choice - hold multiple Steps on Row8, one will be randomy selected for the current Step (current Step displayed on Row5).

Position / Playback Modes (Row2):
    - Current Step position - displayed on Row2.
    - Jump to Step - touch Row2 anywhere.
    - Set a loop - hold a Row2 Step for start position and press another Row2 Step for end.
    - Nudge current Step - Alt + Row2 Step1/Step2 (Step1 = left, Step2 = right) .
    - Jump to random Step - Alt + Row2 Step3.

- Set play mode - Alt + rightmost 4 Steps on Row2 (detailed below).
    - Forward - Alt + Row2 Step16 (rightmost, under Alt).
    - Backward - Alt + Row2 Step15 (2nd from right).
    - Drunk - Alt + Row2 Step14 (3rd from right).
    - Random - Alt + Row2 Step13 (4th from right).

Patterns (Row3):
    - Consists of - trigger data, CV data, and loop position.
    - Current pattern - displayed on Row3.
    - Change patterns - touch Row3 Steps.
    - Copy pattern - Long hold on a differnt Row3 step will copy the current pattern there.

- Series mode - Alt + Adjacent step (series mode key) to activate (details below).
    - Playback - goes downwards starting at row2, selecting steps (step1 = pattern1, step2 = pattern2 etc.) on each row will change the pattern sequence.
    - Random pattern choice - hold more than one step on a row to activate mutliple patterns, 1 pattern will be chosen at random to play on this row.
    - pattern queue - Hold Alt + left column to queue this pattern as the next to play.
    - Series start - Alt + column16 (rightmost column).
    - Series end - Alt + column15 (2nd rightmost column).
    - Scroll vertically - hold Series key and turn param knob.

Step mute (Row4)
    - Mute Steps - toggle on/off Steps on Row4 (trigger/CVa/CVb each have a mute Row).
    - Held values - Muted Steps can help create held values rather than changing on each Step.

- CV Step choice mode - Alt + Row4, bottom rows now show 'chance to play' vertically, CVa/CVb each have a step choice Row. (details below)
    - Row4 - 100%
    - Row5 - 75%
    - Row6 - 50%
    - Row7 - 25%
    - Row8 - 0%
    - Exit Step choice mode - hit any other top row step (above rows4+)

Memory (press button on the module panel):
    - Consists of - All 16 patterms, all data.
    - Select slot - press Row1, Step1 for example.
    - Draw glyph - toggle steps on right half to make an image/pattern.
    - Save to flash - After glyph is draw, long hold on location (eg Row2 Step1).
    - Recently saved slot - loaded on power up.

==========================================

• Ok, so to start off --

I notice that when live recording CV values, the bottom row and row above are coloured.

The bottom row is the CV step with a value. What is the row above coloured to match? -- brightness is CV amount?

• Good work!

• I learned two new settings just on the first read! Thanks.

• polyoptics,

much thanks, this is really cool. to have this all in one place is great as I'm always referring to the videos... there was some talk of graphical docs early on in the WhiteWhale thread. That would be really useful. -especially for folks without variable brightness grids... -re ww / meadow physics in general -how limiting do you think a non var-bright grid is in terms of playability ?

• I'm switching jobs, so I might have some time to work on this in a week or two. I'm a technical writer.

To make this into a doc and make it super readable, I think the white whale doc should start from a list of plain english user "tasks" and then drill into the button combo details.

So something like:

*Controlling playback*
    -Chopping sequence playback
    -Reversing playback
    -Drunk playback
    -Muting a step

*Working with notes*
    -Switching a scale
    -transposing
    -etc

• @oootini: yes, excellent idea to structure the doc by what you're trying to accomplish. have limited time myself, but around the same time as you'll probably have some time i could help editing, proof-reading, whatever. helped rodrigo earlier on with the rewrite of his party van documentation.

• @myecholalia cool! lets do it.

• @oootini: done. give me a shout when you want to start. i can spend some time from about mid next week till 17th december. traveling after that.

• @oontini @myecholalia Awesome guys!
    The way the info is posted in my list is along the same lines as original doc page (mostly). Its going more by Rows starting at 1 and working down, which definitely helps when you are looking back over things trying to remember whats what.

In a normal manual, the back reference section with page numbers and an alphabetical list of terms, is super useful. However, since the monome has no labels, reference is even more critical, to the extreme that you really need the entire manual to be an expanded reference section with added images/examples.

IMHO, keeping a sense of logic in the chapters should have a higher priority over readability than you might normally see in a how-to manual. Trying to stick to a row by row layout with chapters, might end up making the manual a lot easier to dig through, VS constantly going to the reference section and digging up commands and then flipping over to different chapters that mention it.

Just my 2 cents as a monome beginner though!! :)

@leaflitter -- I've only used a monome for 4 days, so I am def not the best person to answer that. :) -- I can say that I enjoy the variable brightness so far though.

• This is great guys!
    Do you want some help with visual maps?