behold. earthsea.

• welcome the third member in the monome modular trilogy, earthsea. a shape-memory pattern instrument.

earthsea lets you play your synth directly using a tone map, recall CV parameter sets with shapes, and add flexible pattern recording to weave a flurry of sound.

http://monome.org/modular

http://monome.org/order

• amazing module, brilliant idea. please, PLEASE do a max version. too cool.

• Super cool.

• Totally digging the Philip Glass-ian posibilities from 3:35 on!

This looks so cool. Time to start planning a modular synth.

• Lovely. +1 request for maxpatch.

• for the ambitious, initial documentation is now up on the wiki: http://monome.org/docs/modular:earthsea

• sort of continuing the legacy of triggers in a new format

• cool.
    I'm not planning on getting down the euro-rack hole BUT that is my favorite modul so far.
    +1 for the documentation.

+1 for earthsea-max-(for-live?)-patch.

• @gli
    sort of! triggers was inspired by an early prototype of the shape detection script that brian made to teach me how to use javascript which søren then used to create his patch. history, phew!

re: maxpatch
    indeed, this would be satisfying, though it would only be a 'max patch' on a surface level. seems really strange porting C code into javascript for integration with a graphical language! one day i'll learn to make plugins properly...

• wow, it looks amazing! cheers @tehn!

• ^hehehehe 'dawg will hunt!'
    Tehn shoulda learned you better, Son!

• Oh this is a fun one. Very live performer friendly. Monome is really on a roll this year. I can see getter get a second rack. thank goodness these are not DIY, my backlog is huge.

I would love to see ARC enabled modules but I guess that's unlikely...

• Unclear about the cv outs beside each knob - they output a user recorded voltage? And these are saved per shape. Are they output on each edge trigger?

• we've actually discussed vst plugins, which was what trent was referring to, sortof mixed into the js comment.

• the cv param sets are output on each shape change. doubles output with a position (note) change and edge (trigger), and triples only change the CV (no trig/pos).

the knobs are used to set params per shape, associated with the closest jack. if you touch the knob, you change that value for the currently active shape.

• ah ok. think i get it now. very,very cool!

• we'll be making more videos demonstrating other uses, as this module allows for a lot of different methods of interaction.

for example, if you're not into "playing" notes, you can set it to "drone" trigger mode, then pattern-record a series of triple-shapes (which do not change the note or gate) with various slews and CV values per shape. you'll effectively have a complex LFO-like triple modulator.

and the modulations can be banked to 16 patterns, and the modulations can be incredibly long!

drone note changes can have portamento added.

so at one extreme earthsea can be a frantic arp-y playing surface, on the other a slowly modulating drone machine.

• ^ I'd love to see a video of it utilized as more of a drone machine!

• +1 for a computer version, whether that means VST or AU or MAX or Chuck - I'm agnostic.

too cool, you guys. this is really creative!

• not easy to pass on this one... looks really versatile..

just wondering how well it scales to non-variable brightness monomes ? -looking at a kit though funds are ( as ever ) limited. - ( while I'm asking... how would this run on a 64 ? )

• is there a scales feature planned a la WW?

• no scales on this one. we tried it out but it was terribly confusing. fourths and semitones feels really good, even if that's the guitarist in me coming out.

nice close harmonic patterns become apparent very quickly. i don't want to scare anyone with 'instrument-ness' but what i mean by that is the idea of a defined system. it'll take a couple hours (not years) to get comfortable with the keymap, unless you've played guitar or polygome. no scale modes means you only have to learn it once!

• fair enough. can always run it through a quantizer for accident free jamming with other sequencers and whatnot.