MANNEQUINS by Whimsical Raps

• Dearest monomials, I'm ever excited to share a new project coming now into full bloom. A deft hand was lent by your resident @galapagoose so do bear with a friendly plug. monome Eurorack modules have been central to the testing and exploration herein...

"MANNEQUINS" by Whimsical Raps
    Musical Instruments for the Arrangement of Vivid Colour.
    http://whimsicalraps.com

"Mangrove holds the essence of an instrument in the form of an oscillator. Sounds are defined not only by pitch but by spectra. As the earth shakes under foot, a whistle blows on the wind."

10HP
    35mm depth
    $284

Preorders ship 31 December 2014.

http://shop.whimsicalraps.com/pages/mangrove

And for your racks:
    http://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-mangrove

• this is nuts

• sounds soo nice!

• i hereby vouch for the incredible excellence of this module.

• oh man, it sounds and plays so nicely. SO MANY LOVES.

• really wish we could hyperdrive the whole series back from the future..

• i'd like some time with the three sisters
    just have a feeling we're meant for each other

• man sooo close, I was hoping that was a typo and it was really called Mangroove.

• this thing is an entire voice pretty much. OSC, VCA, formant filter. i can see why it's such a good fit for the earthsea module.

• using this thing w earthsea is totally a dream. such strong timbral shaping and really beautiful and sometimes bizarre interactions as you slew around the params.

...also makes stupid dumb midi saxaphone sounds into a wavefolder.

• waiting on that manual to drop :)
    but i'm sure docs are second on the list of priorities while modules are built

its gonna be fun seeing how people use this thing in their systems

• Whoa. This looks great.

• got mines today + just installed it

:)

• mine arrived today also. quality throughout!

• congratulations, beautiful work.

• some further footage with my pair playing friends with the monome trilogy::

• Wow!. The key changes starting at 1:39 are really beautiful. I've never heard an oscillator sound like that. Musical and warm but gritty and fuzzy at the same time.

• any folks curious about the beauty + range of this osc should hear this

• I'm attempting to learn about synth design so I was wondering what are the mechanics at work in the mangrove? What sort of thing is oscillating and what adds the formant harmonics?

• @gli
    thanks for posting that. i hadn't seen it pop it up but the sounds are really interesting. i'm particularly enamoured the way he's using one of the mangroves (i think!) as a sort of chaotic / tuned noise generator..

@oliphaunt
    the easiest way to understand the formant shaping is as 2 coupled oscillators where the first is a traditional tri/square VCO, and the second an 'impulse generator' not dissimilar from a traditional envelope generator. when the square output goes HIGH it triggers the impulse which is controlled by the formant parameters. you can experiment with the idea by patching an oscillator into the trigger in of an envelope generator.

the idea comes from a number of electronic wind instrument simulations including the variophon (see: http://www.variophon.de/index_e.htm). the timbre of the sound is a result of the 'shape, width, and height' (ie. barrel, formant, and air) of the impulses.

• So thats what the whole Utonal thing is about, the formant oscillator is the denum in the relationship and goes down that pretty series of notes, right? what locks it into an integer range? Is it that it uses the up pulse of the square wave so it can only be related to that frequency + divisions? Wait, just realized the u-tone stuff is limited to the ramp down section, so last question, why is that?
    Man, thats a really nice website too.

• the utones result from only allowing the impulse to be retriggered when in the falling phase. so if the impulse has a ramp shape ( /| ) it can't be retriggered until the full cycle has complete - thus having an impulse longer than the main oscillator will divide the frequency.

the integer multiples result from their being driven by the main oscillator. the divisions are caused by 'skipping' triggers from the main oscillator, rather than 'counting' them like most sub-oscillators. this has the 'denumerator' effect, where the pitch ratio is something like pitch time / formant time, where 'formant time' is rounded up to the nearest integer.

of course the interesting things happen when you use something between a triangle & ramp wave, which alters the above relationship and introduces uncertainties. this is because when 'retriggering' a waveform the impulse doesn't start from zero, but just turns around and resumes the attack phase, causing each cycle to have potentially different end states upon the retrigger. this technique can be used to create 'multiphonics' where you hear two divisions simultaneously as the triggers are skipped alternatively.

obviously this would be easier with a diagram, but the whole mannequins series is about 'musicality' which makes much more sense to approach from a sonic perspective, than a technical "here's the waveforms" perspective.