Best stand-alone Step Sequencer for 40h

• Hello all,
    This may seem like a post from 2008, but it's not hehe...
    I'm trying to find a good step sequencer that will work in a manner similar to 64step, in the sense that I can upload my own samples to it, rather than having it send midi notes to trigger some other software (which I don't have). Any ideas? Suggestions welcome; I'm running Windows 7 and so Mark Eats Seq is out of the question unfortunately.

Cheers.

• @RajaTheResidentPoser : yeah I've been using my 40h with serialosc no problem, mostly with mash2.0, and recently getting back into MLRv; things seem to work fine... perhaps I wasn't quite clear with my request, since I really am looking for a classic step sequencer:
    - flashing cursor left to right
    - multiple "pages" so that I am not limited to 8 x 1/8ths (cursor travels through the active pages)
    - ability to upload my own percussion samples, instead of relying on, say, reaktor or ableton (which I don't have).

7UP seemed to be a good contender, but it is made to work with Live only I believe (correct?) and so I can't upload my own samples to it. 64 Step is the closest I can find, but it seems ancient and finicky on my system. I'm not looking to 'launch' samples à la MLR, but rather use samples standalone in a step sequencer...

Any pointers are appreciated, and thanks for the reply Raja!

• I might have something for you. Didn't upload this application yet as it is a part of a bigger application. But if you want to try it I can make it beta ready for you.
    If you are lucky you might even have a w7 or 8 machine with touch screen.
    My software is based on VVVV and its new sound engine, you can select samples via multitouch and have a couple of sliders on the screen too. A 128 Monome is emulated with touch, so it runs standalone ot the touch screen, and in addition you can add one or two more real monomes to it. It works also with mouse of course..
    But there are no multiple pages implemented, also not planed. For performance purpose this is too much complexity for me.

I am using it already for shows but probably it needs a little bit of time to make it easyier for non vvvv users to get into it.

However you can try, let me know and I upload it for you next week

960 x 540 - 26K
  • @tekcor : Sorry for the late reply. I am definitely interested in knowing more about this! Do I need any special software (vvvv?... looks like I can download it for free). I am running Win7, but not with a touchscreen unfortunately. If the patch can support midi routings, I have a korg nanokontrol that I can use with the monome to control faders and such. I would imagine this can run alongside another patch running concurrently in max? Please let me know.

• Okay now I have to unfortunately do other stuff first but its on my list to get finished with this application so that other people can use it as well. I will let you know when its available.

It doesnt support midi routings but of ourse that would be easy to patch. patching a system that let you assign midi routings from within the GUI frontend is somewhat more difficult. However I have another application for another purpose (http://www.symbioticcube.com/product/avactivist-visual-production-live-performance-tool-free-version/) which is already released and some people requested that feature here too. So it is likely that I will implement it, but maybe not on the release date.

There are two ways of using it, either only as a control platform that is sending midi or osc to other applications doing the sound. Or as standalone with doing the sound in that application. In Windows you do not have software based audio routing like in linux or mac so you can always only access the sound driver with one application at a time. This is a bit of a pitty but a problem of the OS and not the software.
    As a compensation you have vvvv doing a great job with touch interaction design and graphics. It is also in my opinion way better building monome apps in vvvv then in max.
    I figured out that you can make your app not numbers and matrix based but make it graphicaly only. So for example you render a geometry and calculate intersections on that. And you display it just on your monome as it would be a low fi display.
    Then you can use all the interesting animation libraries of vvvv and create pretty interesting apps.

• Interesting stuff. I am intrigued by vvvv... stinks that I can't use it concurrently with, say, mlrv2.0 though... could I use them both through pages?

I suppose my question still stands though at the moment: what should i use with my 40h kit as a stand alone step sequencer? Something I can load my own sample files into and cut the middle man (Ableton)...

Any thoughts are welcome.

• There are several stages of the problem.

The root problem is that only one application can access the sound driver.
    So you have to decide between max, ableton, vvvv or whatever you gonna use.
    However there is still a way to use rewire with max an ableton for example. But doesnt apply for vvvv.

Another problem is the difference between connecting via the new serialosc or in the old way where you assign osc addresses separately.

So I am not quite sure if you can for example use mlrv2 with pages, because i think it connects directly to the serialosc service and you cant assign the osc address manual. So pages and mlrv would compete for the automatic serialosc connection eventualy. But not quite sure.
    My vvvv application can be used with pages. but it can also act as a host, like pages does.

Basicaly the best way to go is do everything you want yourself in a language you decide for, can be any. then you dont have to mess around with buggy application from other people ;)