need an old version of monomeserial, with the encoders support?

• I've seen some old posts about encoders, and all the references in those posts point to things that have gone missing from the site. I'd like to see how the encoder support worked, before I try to make a new maxpatch to try to support encoders on 40h.

Does anyone know what version had the encoder checkboxes? and where I could find it?

Thanks.

Jimmy

• Oh. I seem to have found a version just where tehn once wrote that it would be.

http://monome.org/docs/lib/exe/mediamanager.php?ns=app&edid=wiki__text

Seems like this one 'monomeserial0731.zip (2010/08/02 17:08 193.5 KB)'
    has the encoder checkboxes.

• edit: I'm still interested in fixing this in serialosc. I had a go at recompiling the code code ages ago, but after figuring out how to set up a compiler and development environment, I was diverted onto other things. Still win xp.
    Will have a look later.
    Can you fix this in max?

• Do you have the encoders already built into a case with the grid? If so, a simpler and potentially more immediately useful solution would be to wire them to an arduino with the class compliant midi code on it. Not so elegant though.

• They are indeed all wired in, and I used to be able to plug in a frame of IR distance sensors and pull in some good gesture data. I've also plugged the sensors into an Arduino as well to read in max, it's just that my 40h has the socket and it did work on monome serial. Serialosc is much more stable though, so I'd be reluctant to go back.

• I was thinking about the idea of a Arduino Pro Micro running as a midi device and just sending the encoder data as midi. (I think I could fit a pro micro in there somewhere.) It wouldn't be as elegant. A serialosc solution would be ideal. I don't have my device yet, but it does have the encoders built in and maybe some custom firmware.

Jimmy

• I can see the point if you want to put tilt in. I presume you want to send tilt sensor data to the Arduino rather than the encoders which aren't turned on in software. If so, midibox.org may have exactly what you want. Not Arduino though.

• I think I'd like the encoders to do something, since they are there already. By software, do you mean a patch? serialosc, or firmware?

• Not sure if we're talking at cross purposes here, so excuse the detail.

I can only speak for the 40h kit. The kit had four analogue to digital converters (ADCs), which weren't used. I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I'm assuming that's what you mean by encoders. These ADC inputs were for tilt or whatever.

The monomeserial 'driver' came with a Max/msp test patch, in which you could enable the ADCs and watch their outputs on four little sliders.

Full ADC functionality was not enabled in serialosc, and is confined to a more limited tilt functionality (only two ADCs and a non-linear response to the sensor signals), although the capacity is there to re-enable it, I believe. This may have been done since I last looked at it a couple of years ago. If not, it needs to be set up in one of the files in the software library, and then recompiled into a new serialosc. One should then be able to pick this up in a Max patch - that is, four ADC outputs with continuous responses to four 0-5V inputs. There is no need to change the firmware.

If you have a 40h kit and use monomeserial, you can wire 0-5V analogue sensors straight onto the kit PCB, and the outputs will be included in the OSC data stream. AFAIK, the 'factory' 40h had tilt sensors which would presumably use similar ADCs. Not sure what the options are for hacking new sensors in.

• Thanks for the details. What I own (but still in transit) is a 40h with encoders already installed, and a custom firmware installed to access the encoder data. From digging around the forum, I see that it should work with the old 1.2 version of monomeserial, and customized patches, but not with serialosc.

I'll know more about it once I have it in my hands.