PSA: Don't use the term "aleph" when sending payments via PayPal

• Apparently the word "aleph" has "another meaning".

My payment was flagged because I wrote "for aleph" in the payment description. It took about 72 hours (and a long, frustrating phone call) for the payment to clear.

• What is the "other meaning" ?

• Lol they wouldn't tell me. They kept asking me to describe what "aleph" meant "in my own words".

• It's handjob in Swahili or something?

• There is a religious sect in Japan that splintered from another sect known to have carried out terrorist attacks named "Aleph." There is a really good manga inspired by the group called "Believers" if you're in to that sort of thing.

• That is bizarre!

• crazy. so my first question is what is the relationship of designer/maker as related to the religious sect topic?

• hah, that is hilarious. glad it went well in the end.

• I had the same issue when I bought mine. It's a Hebrew and Arabic character so must raise some suspicion

• this same exact thing happened to me, i didnt post anything because i figured it was just a one time thing. paypal kept telling me that they "do this from time to time to maintain security" but they also were so concerned with the word 'aleph' i called bullshit on that. it was definitely "word profiling" hahaha.

• hahahaha,
    now i want an aleph and use it with my dschihadelay and some wmd modules.

• Wow, the exact same thing happened to me. They wouldn't clear it and cancelled the transaction after multiple phone calls, saying they weren't allowed to tell me why they cancelled it. I had to send a check directly from my bank. Crazy.

• Next time just say it's to pay for the IED... improvisational electronic device

• @companyofquail Ha! I was wondering if this happened to you...

• paypal is rightfully scared of the monome jihad lol.

• Umm, This Japanese cult are not muslims.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo

• Wasn't the Japanese cult called Aum?

• honestly, every single one of these possible definitions is both wonderful, and deeply suspicious...
    Aleph is the first letter of many Semitic abjads (alphabets).

Aleph or Alef may also refer to:

Science and TechnologyEdit

Aleph, an advanced system for inductive logic programming
    ALEPH experiment (Apparatus for LEP Physics at CERN), one of the four detectors of the Large Electron-Positron Collider (LEP) at CERN
    Alef (programming language), the concurrent programming language used in early editions of Plan 9
    Aleph kernel, an operating system kernel, notable primarily for being one of the steps in the evolution of the Mach kernel
    MathematicsEdit

Aleph number a sequence of cardinal numbers used to represent the cardinality (or size) of infinite sets.
    LiteratureEdit

Aleph (novel), a novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho
    The Aleph (short story collection), a short story collection by Argentine author Jorge Luis Borges
    "The Aleph (short story)", a story contained in the collection
    Aleph, a character in the Warren Ellis comic series Global Frequency
    Aleph, a plot element in the novel Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson
    MusicEdit

Aleph (band), a 1980s Italo disco band
    Aleph, a 2013 album by Gesaffelstein
    The Aleph, a song by Destroy the Runner on the album Saints
    Masada: Alef the first album by John Zorn's Masada
    "Aleph", a song by Anahí
    OrganizationsEdit

Aleph Institute, a Jewish humanitarian organization for Jewish members of the US Armed forces and Jewish prison inmates
    ALEPH: Alliance for Jewish Renewal
    Aleph Zadik Aleph, the men's order of the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO)
    Aleph, a religious sect in Japan formerly known as Aum Shinrikyo
    OtherEdit

Aleph, a shorthand designation for Codex Sinaiticus, a 4th-century manuscript of the Bible
    Aleph Sailing Team, a French America's Cup syndicate.
    Aleph (film), a silent film by Wallace Berman
    Aleph One (game engine), an ongoing project related to the computer game series Marathon
    Mount Aleph, a location in the video game Golden Sun
    Aleph (psychedelic), a psychoactive drug
    Aleph, Integrated Library System from Ex Libris Group

• I think you're always safe being as vague as possible in Paypal transactions. I usually write "Thanks" Then explain what its for via email. You're only asking for a hassle listing it "For..." any of the dozens of groups the US has labeled enemies.