attach your grid to an arduino.

• this thread is simply to emphasize something big that likely got overlooked due to having 7 languages in the grid studies.

we've created an arduino library that allows you to connect a grid to an arduino due.

this means you can very (*very*) easily make standalone hardware (such as a midi sequencer) with this very inexpensive prototyping system.

http://monome.org/grid-studies-arduino

and a photo from the tutorial attached.

• you should have made that photo without the laptop for extra emphasis :)
    thank you and ezra for doing this! a milestone indeed!
    seriously, there's a huge value in what you guys just released..
    more tempted towards node.js myself atm. (*cough* need to get serialosc on the rPi sorting)

• i totally didn't twig. ha. amazing amazing amazing! how easy is it now to put a panel or box on this and create your own thing.

kudos. really.

• this is perfect, been trying to connect grid and arduino for a while, and now theres a library :)

can it work with all monomes or is it for the newer editions?

• all editions supported.

• question from an Arduino noob: the Arduino Due with a wave shield would be powerful enough to run something like mlr?

• the wave shield would be able to only play one mono audio file at 22050 Hz.

• that is my dream too, a hardware mlr/mlrv would be great!

• Pd + raspi is probably a shorter route to that. I've been eyeballing the latest raspi to mess around with embedded stuff.

• the arduino is perfectly suited for MIDI (midi shields are cheap) and modular interfacing (cv and triggers).

you could also make a lo-fi synth (the DUE is roughly 4x more powerful than the chip used in the meeblip, for example.)

for multi-channel mlr-like audio, yes, you'd want a raspi or similar.

• curious, would I also need an ext5v when attaching an arc2 to a due?

• yes. power is limited on the due.

you can light up a handful of LEDs before overpowering. if you want just one LED per arc knob, you'd be fine.

• so with this library we could potentially use arduino due for osc/midi conversion and interface with ios without a computer?

• I would imagine that would be a big yes.

• I read that the arduino DUE needs 3v3 and not 5v ?

• @elquinto osc is taken out of the equation here for monome communication.. so there is this library which lets you address and communicate to the hw over serial. and sending midi just requires 3 free digital pins and there are libraries to handle the messages too. you could also pack those signals into osc messages of course (with available libraries) and send them over some sort of network port.
    but yes! :)

• the DUE supplies 5v to the USB port. digital pin interfacing happens at 3v3. this shouldn't introduce many issues, however.

• I received my DUE today and am waiting for the ext5v.

When will it be possible to do exercise or use patch with midi message or sequencer or sound triggering ?

• quickest way -

http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/midi

a resistor, a couple of wires and some borrowed code then your up and running

• The borrowed code is the difficult step for me

• the code is in the link. it's very straightforward.

• @starfucker id suggest a bit of an arduino basics before you dive into this - its straightforward but i would suggest you at least blink the onboard arudino led before you attempt this stuff ;-)

• I'll do that! ;-)

Do yoy think that with a complex code we could clone few monome app ?

I think about press cafe, fourths...

Or is it stupid ?

• I think the power of arduino is possible but the complexity of code for a beginner would make it a bit of a pointless task when the software is easier to use as is.

• press cafe and fourths are incredibly simple applications. hardly more complicated than the step sequencer in the tutorial. integrating midi is trivial.

the point of these tutorials is to show how not-complex this stuff is, if you're actually interested in learning it.

with the new monome libraries for each of these environments it's easier than ever. but again, this stuff is to help you make your own tools. if you want to simply make music, of course, us what's already been shared.

• tehn, this is great work. I have fired up my Due and now understand better how a grid interacts. But I am curious that the FTDI code gets the manufacturer, product, and serial number from the USB device. If one is emulating a grid, for example with an Arduino Leonardo, then the values are "Arduino LLC", "Arduino Leonardo", and a nonsensical serial number. This really gets MonomeController::CheckDeviceDesc confused as a monome device probably uses the USB device information as the first check for a true monome.

• you'll need to figure out how to change the manufacturer string (read up on USB). for monome devices, this value is programmed into the eeprom of the ftdi chip.

i'd suggest looking at the serialosc code as well.

• @tehn i think you misread me (that and i wasn't really bloody clear), i meant for a complete beginner who cannot even blink an arduino light i am completely correct in that the code for them is complex for anyone never using arduino or even programming before (lots of musicians are not programmers) and asking to remake fourths just reminds me of processing students on day one asking how to make audio reactive stuff - yes its possible but can you just learn to draw a bloody circle first.

I get that the guides are to show how simple it is and the arduino one is good - its true in that the syntax is simple to understand and implement, provided you have a little basics knowledge.

Wasn't meant to offend or misdirect.

arctic-sunrise
    ashleyjamesbrown.com

• oh absolutely i agree with you-- no worries at all.

*all* of these tutorials require a basic knowledge of the language/environment involved. but once getting over that initial hurdle, things get much easier.

• Just FYI some RadioShack stores carry the Arduino Due. I believe they are closing down this week and currently have 60-80% deals. Sooooo.... if you want to find a cheap one, nows the time. Lots of DIY stuff is still left at my store so might finally upgrade my arduino.

• I was hoping to find a Due at Radio Shack as mine had a couple explora and a BBB (didn't buy the BBB kit at 50% off, but I probably should have.

• Wondering if this would work with a Teensy 3.0 instead of a Due?

• ^Was going to pose that same question.